Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

flamehunter wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 2:08 pm Ian stated in an interview a while back that there is no plan to host ANY BB games in the Vines no matter the opponent or anticipated crowd size.
Hadn't heard that, but I'm not really surprised. Looks like Ritchie won him over. He had made it pretty clear he would rather not go back and forth.
tyndal23 wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am 4K - 4500 is with floor seating.
4000 would be 600 more than the nicest small arena in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Ric ... or_Stadium

Don't take my word for it. That is per JK37, who has literally seen all of them. I get what they are going for. A GREAT game atmosphere every time we set foot on the floor and a culture where a seat for the game is a precious commodity.
ballcoach15 wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 5:39 pm I predict a lot of fans will buy season tickets.
That will pretty much be the only way you will be able to assure you can get admission to the games you want to see. For season ticket holders who don't go to every game, it will become a sellers market for the unused tickets.
LUOrange wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 9:18 pm They're better off leaving the Men in the Vines Center and letting the Women and the Volleyball team have the Arena.
Who is "better off" and why? The #1 reason for building the arena has nothing to do with basketball. Setting up and tearing down the Vines for convo/basketball is a huge hassle and expense. A LOT of people will be "better off" for having 2 separate facilities. The Vines Center is dated, and it's design does not lend itself to a major renovation. Believe me, it's been looked at...... Hard. Game experience, aesthetics and amenities at the new arena will be on a whole other level.

It requires a crowd of well over 6000 in the Vines to produce an atmosphere anywhere near what you would get with a sellout of 4000 plus SRO in the new arena, and even then, there really is nothing that can match the aura of a packed house. That's not even mentioning games played during Winter break, where small crowds make the big building even worse. Most important of all, the biggest advocate for downsizing was Ritchie McKay. Why? Because he believes overall it will make us tougher to beat at home. As far as I'm concerned that's being "better off".

The only ones who would benefit from MBB staying in the Vines are casual fans who will no longer be able to just show up when they feel like it and know there will be a seat for them.
oldflame wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 9:59 pm
LUOrange wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 9:18 pm They're better off leaving the Men in the Vines Center and letting the Women and the Volleyball team have the Arena.
Who is "better off" and why? The #1 reason for building the arena has nothing to do with basketball. Setting up and tearing down the Vines for convo/basketball is a huge hassle and expense. A LOT of people will be "better off" for having 2 separate facilities. The Vines Center is dated, and it's design does not lend itself to a major renovation. Believe me, it's been looked at...... Hard. Game experience, aesthetics and amenities at the new arena will be on a whole other level.

It requires a crowd of well over 6000 in the Vines to produce an atmosphere anywhere near what you would get with a sellout of 4000 plus SRO in the new arena, and even then, there really is nothing that can match the aura of a packed house. That's not even mentioning games played during Winter break, where small crowds make the big building even worse. Most important of all, the biggest advocate for downsizing was Ritchie McKay. Why? Because he believes overall it will make us tougher to beat at home. As far as I'm concerned that's being "better off".

The only ones who would benefit from MBB staying in the Vines are casual fans who will no longer be able to just show up when they feel like it and know there will be a seat for them.
So much truth to this. Alot of those "casual fans" could very well be old head "get off my lawn" types who like to maintain the status quo. Imagine a Liberty MBB ticket being a hot item on a Saturday night, especially when UVa and VT are on the road or not playing.
oldflame wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 9:59 pm

Obviously, this discussion is moot as their building the new Arena with their minds made up. And as I said before, it will be nice. Heck, it'll be really nice. That said, in my opinion, the new arena is a waste of money and land. But, maybe I'm just nastalgic towards my college days when we had 6-7K regularly for games, and I've seen it packed for VA Tech and the Big South Championship. The Vines Center back then was an awesome basketball environment.
LUOrange wrote: October 4th, 2019, 9:45 pm I've seen it packed for VA Tech and the Big South Championship. The Vines Center back then was an awesome basketball environment.
I agree, but I also think the change is needed for the health of the program. If the time comes when we need a bigger stadium on a regular basis, we can build it.
Perfect size for now. Can also serve as an overflow for convocation if they decide to up on campus enrollment. I think another Reno to Vines will come soon - bathrooms and lighting package plus some modernizing of the paint walls - not that expensive. 1 game a year like uva or vt as a hype game the old geezers can come to and pack vines out - perfect. Otherwise - nothing like a sold out 4K close and loud intimidating crowd arena.
oldflame wrote: October 4th, 2019, 11:30 pm In almost 30 years, we have never "packed out" the Vines Center. Not once. The last time Liberty had a basketball game where people were turned away was against Tennessee Temple in Liberty Gym.
I guess you didn't make it to the Tech game in the mid-90's that was packed out? Or the Big South Tourney Championship game that was pretty darn full- not as much as Tech, but pretty full.
LUOrange wrote: October 4th, 2019, 11:42 pm
oldflame wrote: October 4th, 2019, 11:30 pm In almost 30 years, we have never "packed out" the Vines Center. Not once. The last time Liberty had a basketball game where people were turned away was against Tennessee Temple in Liberty Gym.
I guess you didn't make it to the Tech game in the mid-90's that was packed out? Or the Big South Tourney Championship game that was pretty darn full- not as much as Tech, but pretty full.
Actually, yes, I was. For almost 40 years I rarely missed a Liberty home basketball game and always traveled to at least a few road games every year. Big crowd for that VT game, but there were still seats available, and at least half the crowd were Hokie fans.
If it was 92 I was there and it was packed - or at least seemed like it. Bottom line - colleges are trying to duplicate the Duke feel - there might be only 10 teams filling a big arena every game - Oklahoma having a big problem as well as most P5 teams. The far away seats with dark lighting isn’t team friendly. I would make the student section front level and bleacher only - no individual seats
tyndal23 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 12:03 am
If it was 92 I was there and it was packed - or at least seemed like it. Bottom line - colleges are trying to duplicate the Duke feel - there might be only 10 teams filling a big arena every game - Oklahoma having a big problem as well as most P5 teams. The far away seats with dark lighting isn’t team friendly. I would make the student section front level and bleacher only - no individual seats
The attendance at the 92 VT game was 8,650.
https://www.liberty.edu/wwwadmin/global ... 24-92).pdf
Record attendance at the Vines was the VT game in 97 with 9003.
https://www.liberty.edu/wwwadmin/global ... 23-97).pdf

Capacity of the Vine's Center for MBB is 9, 547.
https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=38028

What can I say, I'm bored tonight.

I was at both games. Despite the huge crowds, neither was really a great home court atmosphere because only half the crowd at best were Liberty fans.
Last edited by olldflame on October 5th, 2019, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldflame wrote: October 4th, 2019, 11:30 pm In almost 30 years, we have never "packed out" the Vines Center. Not once.
oldflame wrote: October 5th, 2019, 12:30 am
Record attendance at the Vines was the VT game in 97 with 9003.

Capacity of the Vine's Center for MBB is 9, 547.
I was there and I would call that "packed out." However, I agree with the greater point. It was rare and it is better to have a "packed house" at 4k than to have 6k in a stadium for 10k.
No problem with a small venue...for a small program. I guess dreams of a higher profile conference are just that. By the time something like that happens, we likely won't be too worried about convo. A UVa or Tech game at small venue would be a waste. Meanwhile, JMU is working on their new 8500 seat arena; they must assume that their students are more bored than ours
rogers3 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 12:39 am No problem with a small venue...for a small program. I guess dreams of a higher profile conference are just that. By the time something like that happens, we likely won't be too worried about convo. A UVa or Tech game at small venue would be a waste. Meanwhile, JMU is working on their new 8500 seat arena; they must assume that their students are more bored than ours
JMU also bid $200,000 for a home playoff game so we could go up there and beat them. Let's do what they do!

McKay feels strongly that a consistently sold-out smaller venue will make us harder to beat at home. I trust the man (and I also happen to agree with him). There are a lot of programs with big arenas and small win totals, and for a large portion of of the last 30 years, Liberty was one of them . Small time Gonzaga's arena holds 6,000.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

Don't take my word for it. That is per JK37, who has literally seen all of them. I get what they are going for. A GREAT game atmosphere every time we set foot on the floor and a culture where a seat for the game is a precious commodity.
Who ARE you?! :lol:
JK37 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 4:26 am
oldflame wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

Who ARE you?! :lol:
Not a stalker. :lol:

You have posted about how nice Wofford's arena is here before as well as the fact that you have had occasion to visit a multitude of similar sized venues by way of comparison. For whatever reason, despite my :oldhag status and the fact that I am sometimes forgetful about far more important things, trivial stuff like this seems to stick with me. Purple had a similar response when I mentioned something he had said here about his stellar HS basketball numbers. He didn't recall posting it.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]