Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

And if history repeats itself then some of these without stars may get rated as 2 stars and those that are high 2 stars might get to that 3 star rating.

It has already happened to Sean Brown and Jerome Jolly on 247 they had no stars but then after camp season 3 stars were dropped on both.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: September 19th, 2019, 10:18 am
flameshaw wrote: September 19th, 2019, 7:23 am Obviously HF sees the extreme value, and/or lack of same left to him, of OL and DL. This has never been a priority at LU, going back to the very beginning of the program in 73. Very refreshing to see. Better lineman improve the performance of skill position players, 100% of the time. 8)
I basically agree, but let's not overlook the fact that Gill signed 5 O-linemen 2 years ago, and while none of them are starting yet as R-FR, 3 of them are on the 2 deep. On paper, this group certainly appears to be an upgrade, but OL is quite possibly the toughest position to earn snaps early on. Time will tell.
Normally, I would agree. However, if I was an OL, looking for a chance to play early on, I would have to consider LU. Let's just say, we are not too stellar in that area right now. Hopefully that will change soon, I expect it to.
Since hearing about Gaberiel Fuester putting us in his top 4 I started thinking about something. Do we go for the big fish WR in Antonio Barber or do we go for the need which is the LB position and its depth?

Obviously snagging Barber would help our overall points but which helps our team overall as in it fills a serious need? Maybe snagging Fuester does.

Either way I am stoked to get either one.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Barber tweeted about making a decision soon and then followed up with a nc state tweet. Could mean something or could mean nothing. He’s been tweeting and liking a lot of Liberty stuff as well.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I wouldnt read too much into that since its just an edit they sent him. To me, were clearly in the mix at the top because we arent like any of the other programs there. Ive thought all along its us or state.

I would still love to have him most because i dont know what we have behind agg. I think ahmad jackson is an instant impact type guy but the rest i dont know about. Maybe hunter as immediate impact. I just think we need more size and playmakers outside for post agg era.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Interesting thoughts

Gill never had more than 7 or 8 commits at this point....ever

Gill and co woefully under recruited the d line for several years and were just now digging out from that mess.

Oline wise, the numbers were ok but the class splits were meh at best.

They recruited a slew of slot guys and not enough outside guys...shaa douglas queen stubbs king....all slot guys even though shaa is outside right now

Qb. Never really went hard after legit competition for buck other than caleb lynum. Dont even pretend like mason cunningham was. Freeze made that pretty clear.

Lb - refusal to recruit actual lbs. they recruited safeties and converted them probably 75 percent of the time.

2 scholly kickers at same time....that will be that way for 2 years when a lot of programs have none but 1 at most.

To me they really only had rb te and db alottments spread out right. The rest was very :dontgetit
The recruiting truly is a night and day difference from the last regime here. The recruits know that Freeze is building something special here. Look for the next two years after this one to be very exciting with a slew of these new recruits and Malik Willis at QB.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: September 19th, 2019, 11:15 pm Interesting thoughts

Gill never had more than 7 or 8 commits at this point....ever

Gill and co woefully under recruited the d line for several years and were just now digging out from that mess.

Oline wise, the numbers were ok but the class splits were meh at best.

They recruited a slew of slot guys and not enough outside guys...shaa douglas queen stubbs king....all slot guys even though shaa is outside right now

Qb. Never really went hard after legit competition for buck other than caleb lynum. Dont even pretend like mason cunningham was. Freeze made that pretty clear.

Lb - refusal to recruit actual lbs. they recruited safeties and converted them probably 75 percent of the time.

2 scholly kickers at same time....that will be that way for 2 years when a lot of programs have none but 1 at most.

To me they really only had rb te and db alottments spread out right. The rest was very :dontgetit
All good points, especially where the QB position is concerned, and it started before Buckshot arrived with Woodrum. I put it more on Daley than Gill, but the way Stephan Masha was treated bordered on abuse. IMHO he earned the right to have more of a role behind Josh after what he showed against CSU and CCU, but Woodrum made no secret that he thought he should play every down as a SR, and he got his way. As a R-SO, the few snaps Masha got were for single plays (not a series) and everyone in the stadium knew he was going to run the ball. Then he had one fumble (at the end of a nice run) and his year was basically over and his confidence shattered. They did nothing the rest of that season to develop and prepare him to be the starter his R-JR year, and what happened when Buckshot arrived was IMHO almost inevitable. They bring in Cunningham the next Spring and move Masha to WR, and then to RB, where he was buried on the depth chart. He graduated and entered the transfer portal, but as far as I know, he did not even use his last year of eligibility. Pretty sad IMHO.
By tyndal23
Do we want to use up the final 3 at this stage? Seems like we should save some for transfers - with HF coaching and season is over there will be a lot more P5 guys at all positions looking for PT. Comparing Gill recruiting to HF recruiting overall - sort of silly - FCS vs FBS and Gill caught with brand new early singing date being rolled out in transition year. But I do agree with with certain positions being neglected by Gill. If anything - this staff may slow down on offering unranked kids moving forward or lower end - those guys pounce andverbally accept early and your left with higher end kids highly interested but maybe not enough scholarships - BUT the flip side is I trust this staff knows they want a kid when they offer and see something a recruiting site may not. Receiver specifically - they might get a little more picky moving forward.
tyndal23 wrote: September 20th, 2019, 9:50 am Do we want to use up the final 3 at this stage? Seems like we should save some for transfers - with HF coaching and season is over there will be a lot more P5 guys at all positions looking for PT. Comparing Gill recruiting to HF recruiting overall - sort of silly - FCS vs FBS and Gill caught with brand new early singing date being rolled out in transition year. But I do agree with with certain positions being neglected by Gill. If anything - this staff may slow down on offering unranked kids moving forward or lower end - those guys pounce andverbally accept early and your left with higher end kids highly interested but maybe not enough scholarships - BUT the flip side is I trust this staff knows they want a kid when they offer and see something a recruiting site may not. Receiver specifically - they might get a little more picky moving forward.
I generally agree, I do think we could have a very high turnover rate in the next two years. HCHF has said that the classes of 2017 and 2018 weren't recruited to play FBS ball. People are going to get passed up quickly on the depth chart and go to FCS to avoid having to sit out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: September 20th, 2019, 9:50 am Do we want to use up the final 3 at this stage? Seems like we should save some for transfers - with HF coaching and season is over there will be a lot more P5 guys at all positions looking for PT. Comparing Gill recruiting to HF recruiting overall - sort of silly - FCS vs FBS and Gill caught with brand new early singing date being rolled out in transition year. But I do agree with with certain positions being neglected by Gill. If anything - this staff may slow down on offering unranked kids moving forward or lower end - those guys pounce andverbally accept early and your left with higher end kids highly interested but maybe not enough scholarships - BUT the flip side is I trust this staff knows they want a kid when they offer and see something a recruiting site may not. Receiver specifically - they might get a little more picky moving forward.
Not sure how HF views this, but let's not forget that both offers and commitments are verbal and non-binding. It's not all that unusual, especially at the P5 level, to take a commitment from a player early and then pull the offer when you get an opportunity to land a better one. This usually results in the first player "decommitting" and re-opening their recruiting (with nothing said about what actually took place.) I understand why some may see this as less than ethical, but it is legal. I have no idea whether HF ever did it at Ole Miss or not. Looking at a couple of our early commits, it certainly appears now there could be chances to "upgrade".
I for one don't see it as a matter of ethics, though I understand some do. An offer when given is given with the expectation that the player will be able to provide you with the best available on-field product and best general program fit. If time passes and that player no longer provides the best available on-field product or general program fit the program moves elsewhere. That's really seen when folks offer 9th grade kids and such. Who knows what the kid will turn out to be, but the program is simply wanting to communicate that if the kid ends up checking all of their boxes they would love to have them. All offers and committments are contingent until the dotted line is signed and I think if any side causes a fit over that they are operating with a false sense of reality. That's also such a great benefit of early signing period for the kids. Helps them lock in their opportunity sooner rather than later. The structure also keeps kids from checking out or slowing progression just because they've secured the offer and given the verbal. You gotta give it your all on the field, in the classroom, and outside of school to prove you're worth the scholarship. With all that being said I hope our on-field product and recruiting success this year pushes HF to really shoot for a few four-stars next year!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: September 20th, 2019, 11:42 am I for one don't see it as a matter of ethics, though I understand some do. An offer when given is given with the expectation that the player will be able to provide you with the best available on-field product and best general program fit. If time passes and that player no longer provides the best available on-field product or general program fit the program moves elsewhere. That's really seen when folks offer 9th grade kids and such. Who knows what the kid will turn out to be, but the program is simply wanting to communicate that if the kid ends up checking all of their boxes they would love to have them. All offers and committments are contingent until the dotted line is signed and I think if any side causes a fit over that they are operating with a false sense of reality. That's also such a great benefit of early signing period for the kids. Helps them lock in their opportunity sooner rather than later. The structure also keeps kids from checking out or slowing progression just because they've secured the offer and given the verbal. You gotta give it your all on the field, in the classroom, and outside of school to prove you're worth the scholarship. With all that being said I hope our on-field product and recruiting success this year pushes HF to really shoot for a few four-stars next year!
Where the question of ethics comes in concerns what happens between the player's decision to commit and the announcement. The coach at that time has the option to either reaffirm the offer and essentially "accept" the commitment, or inform the recruit they are not sure they will have a scholarship for them (which doesn't necessarily mean they are no longer interested.) If they do the former, and the commitment is announced, they are publicly telling the player a second time "we want you", which some might say would make them later withdrawing the offer different than a player changing his mind and de-committing. Some coaches won't do it unless they find out something about the player they didn't know that raises a red flag.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
So 25 is the max players in a class. How do fbs transfers and grad transfers in general apply to that number? I dont think they do but tyndals post had me questioning that.

Also tyndal, i really didnt question the quality of the commits between gill and freeze even though gill did have 2 fbs classes. I questioned the roster management as a whole.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
3 star teammate of 2 Liberty Commits has decommited from UNC and re-opened his recruitment.

Listed as an Athlete, but it looks like UNC was looking at him as a CB. Based on his video, he is also a dynamic WR and returner.

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Interesting perspective, last i checked gill and company had just 9 commits December of 2018. In addition gill added 5 transfers and jucos in the spring/summer period of 2017. 4 of the 5 made little to no impact. Ajayi was the only impact player. Further, freeze has 22 commits and its not even end of September. Maybe its not fair to say he had 2 full classes but he def had more than 1. Of the 9 commits he had they almost screwed up one of the biggest brayden monday by being so late to offer despite monday showing huge interest in the progam and attending junior day. Also treshaun clark is a lu generational player so i cant give a ton or credit there. Now they did land bennett caper and yarborough early who i think were all 3 very nice gets.

My take on gill is he could get some high end talent but struggled to balance the roster and mismanaged classes big time. Anyway. Enough of the past from me.

Lamareon james is interesting. 247 reporting vt is in hard on him. Cant believe hed go there if hes not happy with uncs direction. That would be like getting out of the pan and falling into the deep fryer. Id love to get him and miller along with barber and moyer. Id recruit over chase mitchell and maybe even courtas or maples.
By LUDad
jinxy wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 4:15 pm So 25 is the max players in a class. How do fbs transfers and grad transfers in general apply to that number? I dont think they do but tyndals post had me questioning that.

Also tyndal, i really didnt question the quality of the commits between gill and freeze even though gill did have 2 fbs classes. I questioned the roster management as a whole.
Link below is a decent read on recruiting rules/strategies.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... igning-day
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 9:05 am
jinxy wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 4:15 pm So 25 is the max players in a class. How do fbs transfers and grad transfers in general apply to that number? I dont think they do but tyndals post had me questioning that.

Link below is a decent read on recruiting rules/strategies.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... igning-day
Interesting read. Most of it I knew, but the application of "blueshirting" to transfers was new on me. Basically, if a player (including transfers) signs, who you didn't technically "recruit" by NCAA definitions, you don't have to count him against your limit the first year. I'm guessing both Willis and Kidd-Glass will fall into that category.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
As far at our current commits are concerned, I'm wondering whether it's possible Chase Mitchell and/or Louis Taylor are actually PWOs. Looks like they have no other offers. If that's the case, we still have 4 or 5 to give.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]