This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 10th, 2019, 7:13 pm I smell a political hit job. This seems to be coordinated by The Hill and Politico. And no one taking credit for the FBI story :lol:

AND

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/2 ... atic-donor
The FBI story originates from an interview Falwell gave to the Associated Press.

You can read it here.

https://www.apnews.com/01404d7b984b4010b08834459e4813f1

Jr also shared the AP interview story on his twitter.

By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Clearly, JR needs to go. He won’t, but he needs to know people care about the university, even if he doesn’t.
By Jonathan Carone
The only way anything significant gets anywhere close to happening is if the students walk out of convo when he’s on stage next. Or if there’s overwhelming boos when he’s on the screen at the football game. That’s the only way any type of pressure will be put on him.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Let's be clear. There is no coup. How would that take place? At most schools that would mean big money donors withholding pledges or influential members of the board pushing for it. Liberty has neither. We are self funded and the board are all essentially "yes" men. This is interesting reading but it goes nowhere.

The only way Jerry Jr leaves is if his wife threatens to quit wearing the maid outfit! :lol: :lol: (I kid. Just kidding!)
Last edited by ALAFlamesFan on September 10th, 2019, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:10 pm The only way anything significant gets anywhere close to happening is if the students walk out of convo when he’s on stage next. Or if there’s overwhelming boos when he’s on the screen at the football game. That’s the only way any type of pressure will be put on him.
I don’t see this happening because of the culture of fear. I hope it does, but it won’t.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
My wife is currently ranting about JFjr and she says,

"Look, I just used my Liberty University education to determine Jerry doesn't have a legal leg to stand on"

I love her.
By Jonathan Carone
adam42381 wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:10 pm The only way anything significant gets anywhere close to happening is if the students walk out of convo when he’s on stage next. Or if there’s overwhelming boos when he’s on the screen at the football game. That’s the only way any type of pressure will be put on him.
I don’t see this happening because of the culture of fear. I hope it does, but it won’t.
You’re exactly right.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Convo is open to the public. Just sayin. :D 8) Maybe you can start a movement.
By House on fire
The only way anything significant gets anywhere close to happening is if the students walk out of convo when he’s on stage next. Or if there’s overwhelming boos when he’s on the screen at the football game. That’s the only way any type of pressure will be put on him.
The other option is that there is a large enough exodus from faculty and staff that it puts the university at risk. As unlikely as it seems, toxic management "works" until it hits it's breaking point and then suddenly enough is enough. Reminding people you have a gun to keep them in line is one thing. Putting a bullet hole in the wall over their shoulder is another.
By Jonathan Carone
House on fire wrote: September 10th, 2019, 9:18 pm
The other option is that there is a large enough exodus from faculty and staff that it puts the university at risk. As unlikely as it seems, toxic management "works" until it hits it's breaking point and then suddenly enough is enough. Reminding people you have a gun to keep them in line is one thing. Putting a bullet hole in the wall over their shoulder is another.
Unfortunately a lot of people have trouble finding jobs after Liberty.
By House on fire
And this certainly doesn't make it easier. But is the stress of the unknown greater than the stress of staying? I know that's easier to say behind my keyboard, I'm just saying I've seen a toxic culture get there.
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
At least in the new pictures from the photographer you do see becky there.

I think the only two things (maybe there's more, just these two are memorable for me most) the polling rigging, and admitting to that, and the lying about these photos. The Real Estate deals don't seem terrible, and I think any organization can have, to an extent, a culture of fear for a small group, right or wrong.

Praying for Liberty.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
The issue for LU could be twofold. A desperate plea to someone in the FBI ends up leading to an IRS examination on our 501c3 status and secondly, a SACS investigation into the issue of governance. LU send to have no board control, and the fact that a board member has to act anonymously to question the President of the school seems to be contrary to the way a board should operate. The while FBI thing is totally stupid. But hey, bad press is still press!
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote: September 10th, 2019, 7:17 am
Just John wrote: September 10th, 2019, 1:12 am I'll admit my bias up front...I'm not a Trump fan because of the baggage he brings, IMO, to conservatism and a total lack of character. That being said, people near and dear to be totally disagree and we respect each other...and avoid the subject. :wink: And it's not something I care to hash over in this post. My issues below have nothing to do with that.

Had a discussion today with a person who goes way back with LU, Doc, and Jerry Jr. Doc wasn't the best businessman, partly because he had a big heart for people and ministry Jr is a great businessman but in his own words, is about buildings and projects. I don't think there's any doubt that LU wouldn't be where it is today, financially or in infrastructure, without Jr. I do believe though we are now lacking in the heart and ministry department. Financial success can't be the only standard for success.

• I'm not bothered by what I read about the financial stuff. Small town stuff.
  • I'm bothered by the John Gauger stuff. He openly admits he was paid to rig polls and Jr defended him. Clearly not The Liberty Way.
  • I am bothered that Jr said students had more to do with the spiritual strength of the school then he does.
  • I drink alcohol in moderation and do not think it's a sin. I do not run a school that fines students or prohibits faculty from doing so. I'm also bothered he played the "it must be photo-shopped" line until we see the picture.
  • A well-placed staff member shared with me last week some of the same things Third Base alluded to.

I love Liberty!!! Jr. has done a great job financially for LU. I want to see it prosper financially, hold to it's original vision spiritually, and win football games!!!!
This is not correct. Faculty/employees are no longer forbidden to consume alcohol. They will face disciplinary action if they come to work under the influence, and are required to notify HR of any criminal charge against them involving drugs/alcohol, but the handbook does not specifically say they cannot use alcohol.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the update.
By rtb72
As the saying goes..."me thinks thou doth protest too much". Hit piece, probably some conjecture considering the source. Is it all made up and completely political? IMHO, I really don't think so...some evidence to the contrary actually. Regardless, this present situation as well as some of his past actions are hurting LU. If he truly cares about this university and his father's vision, he would recognize his continued role as President only aggravates LU's image and future. I think by remaining defiant and digging in....his character is only revealed more as one who is most interested in self-preservation and power. JFJR >LU? Acting as an individual or not....he is tied to our university, and by extension, his actions are seen as Liberty University. I am sad for our university and the staff and students that must endure the collateral consequences associated with one who does not, to me, embody the character, demeanor, and conviction of a Christian University President. This weekend's game should have some interesting conversations around the tailgate.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: September 10th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Just John wrote: September 10th, 2019, 12:02 am
makarov97 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm

I don't believe anything in the story. It came from Polutico, (a far left communist rag) and interestingly enough was coordinated with other media outlets who have had Liberty in the sights for a long time.

Anyone who doesn't see the Soros puppet strings here is willfully blind.

The dirtbag media lies. On a daily basis. This is a coordinated hit piece by people who hate President Trump and Liberty University.

The people (some on this board included) who want Liberty to morph into a "progressive" abortion and sodomite "accepting" institution are willing to believe whatever the media trash throws at the wall. They don't need anything other than a fiction account purported to be news to latch on to so they can push their own agenda.

The real issue here is the lying media. The media needs to lose its NY Times v. Sullivan protection. Until that happens, nothing will change.
Just about every word of this is nonsense. I had a friend tell me yesterday that if HRC was elected we would be in reeducation camps today because we are Christians. I like this guy but this kind of rhetoric is just nonsense

I'm very conservative, never voted for a Democrat in my life, and my daughter is named after Ronald Reagan. If we are to be taken seriously and try to win people's minds over to our side, we have to be rational.
You named your daughter after Ronald Reagan? YIKES

"Ashley Reagan". Michael Reagan named his daughter the same so Reagan had a granddaughter with the same name. :) Not that we knew that when we named her.

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]