This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Actually they did write like that. I understand your point. And generally when it comes to Trump it’s nonsense. But it’s not a Universal Truism. Especially when it comes from LU.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Jerry was caught lying twice in this article with photographic evidence to back it up. There's not even any obvious reasons behind those lies. They seem pointless. I can't even imagine the bigger picture behind that, that we'll most likely never see. If you think this is a media conspiracy, you're living in your grandmother's chain email world.

Anonymity was explained. Some signed confidentially agreements, some are scaredy pants. Doesn't make them fake.
Re:the board

They may be speaking anonymously to see if they can gauge their collective reactions. "coming out" as one gets them DeMossed. This could let them find out if they have the votes they need without outing themselves.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: September 9th, 2019, 4:47 pm Jon I disagree with you on this article as a whole. There is a lot of new information in it. Becki Trey and the loans are relatively new things that were brought out. Becki’s Tirades on social media. Having employees do personal family business on the LU dime etc. The Cohen and Crosswhite stuff...we already discussed so yeah they were out there. I do agree with you about discussing your sexual exploits with your wife to other people. That seems a tad disrespectful but that’s just me.
As for the PR department junior thinks no one can communicate his thoughts better than he so why have someone try?
I’ll be in the minority here but I thought it was a pretty balanced article all things considered. Several times the author gave quotes from 3rd parties expressing differing views on what Liberty was doing. Much more balanced than the norm.
Anyone who thinks LU will be run by someone not named Falwell Ever is dreaming in my opinion.
I can buy that. I was probably downplaying some of it because I had known a few of the Becki and Trey things before so they didn’t come as new things. I see where you’re coming from though.

I definitely think this was one of the more fair hit pieces.
By Jonathan Carone
LUconn wrote: September 9th, 2019, 5:10 pm Jerry was caught lying twice in this article with photographic evidence to back it up. There's not even any obvious reasons behind those lies. They seem pointless. I can't even imagine the bigger picture behind that, that we'll most likely never see. If you think this is a media conspiracy, you're living in your grandmother's chain email world.

Anonymity was explained. Some signed confidentially agreements, some are scaredy pants. Doesn't make them fake.
If he’s going to openly lie about something as trivial as seeing a DJ in a club then what else would he lie about?
By gerb
LUconn wrote: September 9th, 2019, 5:10 pm Jerry was caught lying twice in this article with photographic evidence to back it up. There's not even any obvious reasons behind those lies. They seem pointless. I can't even imagine the bigger picture behind that, that we'll most likely never see. If you think this is a media conspiracy, you're living in your grandmother's chain email world.

:roll: Haven't we seen the same "anonymous sources" script over and over and over for the last 2.5 years? David Brock "wrap up smear" against anyone close to POTUS... Wash, rinse, repeat... Written to appear like a scandal. Nothingburger.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
yeah, no big or true story was ever garnered from anonymous sources.
I misunderestimated the team aspect of this whole thing. I thought we were all on team Liberty on this board. I didn't realize there was so many team Trumps.
By Jonathan Carone
LUconn wrote: September 9th, 2019, 7:45 pm yeah, no big or true story was ever garnered from anonymous sources.
I misunderestimated the team aspect of this whole thing. I thought we were all on team Liberty on this board. I didn't realize there was so many team Trumps.
When it comes to Team Liberty vs Team Falwell, I’m afraid more are on Team Falwell.
By Thirdbase
Hi friends. I love LU. When the school does something shoddy, it bothers me deeply. I’m a current employee, and my association with LU goes back to the late 80’s. I want to stay employed here; I’d like to stay in Lynchburg and retire from LU. I don’t know if that will be possible after I post this, because it wouldn’t surprise me if a mole works for Sea of Red and I’ll somehow get traced. We know they monitor our every move while we’re on campus, if not elsewhere. Yes, people are scared to talk here; the Politico article was right about that.

The rest of the article may be accurate, or it may be another hit-piece; I lean toward the former even though I can’t speak to LU’s financial or political dealings. But I can confirm that there is ongoing unethical (fraudulent is what I would call it if I were paying tuition) activity in the academic arm of the school, and I won’t be surprised when that exposé hits the papers. When it does, accreditation will no doubt be at risk.

Everyone who loves LU should be very, very concerned. However, unless they catch Jerry in a Weinstein-type scandal, or until SACS digs deeper and discovers the academic malpractice, nothing here will change.

I have no agenda, and I hold no bitterness, but my conscience has bothered me for years. Today’s article gave me a strong shove from behind. I guess that’s why I posted this. And I feel guilty for doing so.

Cheers.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: September 9th, 2019, 7:45 pm yeah, no big or true story was ever garnered from anonymous sources.
Yeah, it's okay to be skeptical, but some of the head in the sand stuff is comical. I almost feel like we're being trolled by people people who are pretending they don't understand critical thinking.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Thirdbase wrote:Hi friends. I love LU. When the school does something shoddy, it bothers me deeply. I’m a current employee, and my association with LU goes back to the late 80’s. I want to stay employed here; I’d like to stay in Lynchburg and retire from LU. I don’t know if that will be possible after I post this, because it wouldn’t surprise me if a mole works for Sea of Red and I’ll somehow get traced. We know they monitor our every move while we’re on campus, if not elsewhere. Yes, people are scared to talk here; the Politico article was right about that.

The rest of the article may be accurate, or it may be another hit-piece; I lean toward the former even though I can’t speak to LU’s financial or political dealings. But I can confirm that there is ongoing unethical (fraudulent is what I would call it if I were paying tuition) activity in the academic arm of the school, and I won’t be surprised when that exposé hits the papers. When it does, accreditation will no doubt be at risk.

Everyone who loves LU should be very, very concerned. However, unless they catch Jerry in a Weinstein-type scandal, or until SACS digs deeper and discovers the academic malpractice, nothing here will change.

I have no agenda, and I hold no bitterness, but my conscience has bothered me for years. Today’s article gave me a strong shove from behind. I guess that’s why I posted this. And I feel guilty for doing so.

Cheers.
Appreciate you sharing.

This has zero to do with Trump to me and everything to do with Liberty staying true to it's mission. I wish people who are such vocal Jr apologist would see that. It's frustrating for me that they don't.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The business deals I'm just like "Meh, whatevs." It is common in nearly every business to help out friends/relatives of the CEO or other big wigs in some way, shape or form. Does it result in LU being overcharged for construction work or paying contractors too much? Maybe, but I don't have access to the numbers.

What I find to be absolutely insane is students feeling more comfortable flying a gay pride flag on campus than LU staff/board members feeling secure enough to say ANYTHING bad about the school or Jerry Jr. and the Falwell family, including complaining about parking.

I will say that I do continue to appreciate everything that Jerry Jr. did for me personally while I was a student at LU. It definitely helped me get to where I am now in life, and for that I will be forever grateful to him.
By gerb
"Politico" + "anonymous sources" = benefit of the doubt? After the last 2.5 year clown show, I don't think so. I'm no Jerry defender but this has all the characteristics of a hit job.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/2 ... atic-donor
By Jonathan Carone
ATrain wrote: September 9th, 2019, 8:24 pm I will say that I do continue to appreciate everything that Jerry Jr. did for me personally while I was a student at LU. It definitely helped me get to where I am now in life, and for that I will be forever grateful to him.
This is where I land as well. And it’s the awkward part of being critical. Jerry was very good to me when I was in school. But I just can’t support where things are currently. It’s like one of the quotes in the article:

“I feel like I’m betraying them in some way. But someone’s gotta tell the freakin’ truth.”
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote: September 9th, 2019, 8:29 pm
"Politico" + "anonymous sources" = benefit of the doubt? After the last 2.5 year clown show, I don't think so. I'm no Jerry defender but this has all the characteristics of a hit job.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/2 ... atic-donor

Did you read the article?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read that article while on campus today. If it were a book, it would be in the fiction section at Barnes & Noble.

All of these bad journalists are attacking Liberty, because of LU's support of President Trump.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I read that article while on campus today. If it were a book, it would be in the fiction section at Barnes & Noble.

All of these bad journalists are attacking Liberty, because of LU's support of President Trump.
So everybody is lying. Got it.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Quite a few folks with their head in the sand. This isn't a simple hit piece...too much risk of legal action. Too many names, and very close to home for some. I see nothing wrong with calling things the way that they are. I think it is funny that I posted about the same corrupt business dealings before the article and some just called it sour grapes. All it takes is one zealous IRS investigator and this becomes much uglier, even if there are some false aspects of the article.
2024 Season Thread

The Jackson to the hot seat stuff is almost as r[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Week 7 - Top Performers - Runs - Fanatics 46 HR[…]

Athens Regional

I can't believe UVA is a 2 seed. That must be a […]

As I said before, LU will win the CUSA but going t[…]