Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote: August 13th, 2019, 10:04 am 3/4 hired by Barber. Thanks LUADJEFF for your contributions to this program over the last decade.
Mrs. Jeff? Barber did an average job at best. There are not many people who miss him on the mountain. I can say that with certainty. 8)
I can tell you from watching my dad go through back spasms similar to HCHF that it is no fun! I have known some strong men that have cried like babies due to those kind of back spasms. Definitely praying for coach, his wife and their girls.
By LU 57
I have 2 degenerative discs in my lower back that generally do not bother me too bad but there have been times when I literally could not get up off the floor when they become inflamed and the surrounding muscles spasm.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: August 16th, 2019, 4:18 pm I have 2 degenerative discs in my lower back that generally do not bother me too bad but there have been times when I literally could not get up off the floor when they become inflamed and the surrounding muscles spasm.
Back spasms can certainly be painful and debilitating, but absent an underlying condition like your's, they usually respond pretty quickly to muscle relaxants and clear up in a few days. I'm wondering if there is more going on with HF.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: August 17th, 2019, 3:00 pm
LU 57 wrote: August 16th, 2019, 4:18 pm I have 2 degenerative discs in my lower back that generally do not bother me too bad but there have been times when I literally could not get up off the floor when they become inflamed and the surrounding muscles spasm.
Back spasms can certainly be painful and debilitating, but absent an underlying condition like your's, they usually respond pretty quickly to muscle relaxants and clear up in a few days. I'm wondering if there is more going on with HF.
It usually responds to Flexaril in a day or 2. Must be a lot more serious. I remember when Mike Kryzewski was out the entire basketball season after back surgery and Duke had their worst year in the last 25 years. :(
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Based on the look of his eyes in this pic his daughter tweeted, I feel pretty confident in saying he is taking some heavy-duty meds.

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Good article on ESPN. In addition to his back, he had a life-threatening staph infection and had to under go surgery at UVA.
Sounds like Jr. really took good care of him. Called Ben Carson, sent the plane to Scottsdale to pick up a surgeon, etc.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dr Ellegalla used to be in Forest. The procedures he performed ran 30k plus and isn’t covered by insurance. People who have had it done speak glowingly of it. I know someone who was planning on doing until he up and left with no notice. Even had alternate financing to pay for it lined up.
Needless to say he got great care
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: August 17th, 2019, 8:01 pm Whats a recovery time on something like that. What exactly do they do besides remove staph? Over my head.
If he performed his usual procedure it’s a couple of weeks minimum. But it’s something I’m sure having around the clock access to medical care can be managed. He will be able to do a lot of office stuff soon but on field stuff might be a week or two
By LUOrange
The ESPN article said he'd be hospitalized til sometime next week, and that he'd coach practice in a golf cart and the SU game from the booth.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 17th, 2019, 8:30 pm
jinxy wrote: August 17th, 2019, 8:01 pm Whats a recovery time on something like that. What exactly do they do besides remove staph? Over my head.
If he performed his usual procedure it’s a couple of weeks minimum. But it’s something I’m sure having around the clock access to medical care can be managed. He will be able to do a lot of office stuff soon but on field stuff might be a week or two
Dr. Ellegala pioneered this type of back microsurgery. Duke Westover had it and walked out of the hospital the same day. The recovery period is much quicker than traditional back surgery. Liberty, which is self-insured, covers Sonospine surgery for their employees. It’s considerably cheaper than traditional back surgery though not yet approved by most insurance companies.

Dr. Elegella is very interesting guy. He spent a year in Tanzania. While there he realized the needs were much greater than the resources so he began teaching medical care providers, though not doctors, how to perform brain surgery. I have been in a number of meetings and presentations with him. Very impressive gentleman.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... in-surgery
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]