This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
What about those who are not Apple users? Would hope that Android has that sort of functionality as well
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: August 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm What about those who are not Apple users? Would hope that Android has that sort of functionality as well
1) Who cares about android users
2) Most college students are on iOS
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is so 2015. iPhone marketshare is in rather significant decline. There are plenty of NFC tools that could work regardless of platform.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I know at least 3 professors who still have flip phones. :oldhag
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
A multi platform solution could be developed but there is much more fragmentation in the android world than in the iOS world.

In the end, if you don’t have the platform where it’s supported, you might be able to get a physical pass.

I believe I talked about this somewhere last year when it was initially rolled out.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I’d also add that the Apple market share of mobile phones in the US hasn’t been in a decline.

There is a difference between slow growth and a reduction of market share. The market share is actually higher than it’s ever been.

Of course, there is a major difference when you compare iOS vs. Android (software platform) and Apple vs. Samsung/LG/etc (hardware platform).

Android, due to being an amalgam of many different hardware manufacturers, has a higher market share.

The iPhone hardware though, is still the leading mobile phone hardware. When designing something that relies on consistent hardware (like the biometrics of FaceID or TouchID), it’s vital that there’s more consistency.

Just my two cents as someone who’s spent a long time in that industry (and now moving to another area of technology).
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If he has one, that would make 4 of us!
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: August 13th, 2019, 5:44 pm A multi platform solution could be developed but there is much more fragmentation in the android world than in the iOS world.

In the end, if you don’t have the platform where it’s supported, you might be able to get a physical pass.

I believe I talked about this somewhere last year when it was initially rolled out.
There is an app called Android Pay (same thing as Apple Pay, essentially) that is available on every Android device, and NFC is pretty much a standard feature in Android devices these days except the bargain bin ones. I'm sure there is some cross platform app that accomplishes the same thing, I don't know what it is and don't really care either though because what comes with my phone works perfectly fine.

From what I can tell on my time working on a college campus 2007-early 2019, plus having access to website analytics that told me what smartphone people would access the athletics website from, most kids with a smartphone don't have the cheap stuff lacking NFC, they either have an iPhone or a decent to better Android phone like a Samsung Galaxy Note/S#. Of course, Samsung has Samsung Pay, but users can download Android Pay onto that or whatever cross platform solution exists, but why make them download another app just to hold their college ID when it can be built into Apple/Samsung/Android Pay?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
NFC is one part of the puzzle. Biometrics are the other. The point is, there are legitimate reasons for developing platform specific solutions. Developing in multiple platforms isn’t always worth the cost. There are a lot of variables.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]