This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

thepostman wrote: July 8th, 2019, 9:20 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 8th, 2019, 9:09 pm That feels a lot like a dude gearing up for some type of political run.

I thought the same thing but I am not sure if Jerry has what it takes to be a successful politician.
Does he think that though
By tyndal23
I wish JR ( and Trump for that matter ) would only use Twitter to link to well thought out articles or columns once a week such as this one - I don’t care who you are - you cant sound intelligent in 288 characters ( or whatever it is now ) or not send a message that is way to open for misinterpretation on Twitter. You can state clearly what you want, think about it, have an editor ( or wife ) preview it, etc. - a weekly column Pat Buchanan style - I bet Drudge would even provide a direct link for him - would be much better received from supporters and less attack ammo from the left.
tyndal23 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 10:45 pm I wish JR ( and Trump for that matter ) would only use Twitter to link to well thought out articles or columns once a week such as this one - I don’t care who you are - you cant sound intelligent in 288 characters ( or whatever it is now ) or not send a message that is way to open for misinterpretation on Twitter. You can state clearly what you want, think about it, have an editor ( or wife ) preview it, etc. - a weekly column Pat Buchanan style - I bet Drudge would even provide a direct link for him - would be much better received from supporters and less attack ammo from the left.
I love his Tweets. At first they annoyed me and made me cringe but now I’m kinda used to them. It’s something only he can do and get away with. His Tweets drive the news cycle.
I just think it is bizarre that the media takes it upon themselves to put out bi-monthly hit pieces on Liberty. There are legitimate criticisms. (In this article specifically, there are some legitimate criticisms and some overblown ones) However, could you imagine the media consistently putting out hit pieces against any other school? I know LU is large and also distinctive in its faith, but clearly, there are ulterior motives here.
TH Spangler wrote: July 25th, 2019, 3:12 pm JR posted a link to good article that he wrote recently that covered this and more. Now I know why.
I remember he posted an article about something like this and it was bizarre at the time. Now I see it as a preemptive strike. What I do recall is the paucity of examples in Jerry’s piece which contrasts with the over abundance of examples (both legitimate and some not so much) in this piece.
chris leedlelee wrote: July 25th, 2019, 2:20 pm I just think it is bizarre that the media takes it upon themselves to put out bi-monthly hit pieces on Liberty. There are legitimate criticisms. (In this article specifically, there are some legitimate criticisms and some overblown ones) However, could you imagine the media consistently putting out hit pieces against any other school? I know LU is large and also distinctive in its faith, but clearly, there are ulterior motives here.
Full disclosure: haven’t had the chance to read this article yet. Just wanted to respond to this train of though.

The more outspoken you are, the more criticized you will be.

The more you display the qualities of a jerk, the more people will want to bring you down.

The more you give off hypocritical messages, the more people are going to want to point out that hypocrisy.

Jerry brings it on himself by his actions and then whines when it comes.
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 25th, 2019, 3:55 pm
chris leedlelee wrote: July 25th, 2019, 2:20 pm I just think it is bizarre that the media takes it upon themselves to put out bi-monthly hit pieces on Liberty. There are legitimate criticisms. (In this article specifically, there are some legitimate criticisms and some overblown ones) However, could you imagine the media consistently putting out hit pieces against any other school? I know LU is large and also distinctive in its faith, but clearly, there are ulterior motives here.
Full disclosure: haven’t had the chance to read this article yet. Just wanted to respond to this train of though.

The more outspoken you are, the more criticized you will be.

The more you display the qualities of a jerk, the more people will want to bring you down.

The more you give off hypocritical messages, the more people are going to want to point out that hypocrisy.

Jerry brings it on himself by his actions and then whines when it comes.
Oh I will fully acknowledge that Jerry brings this upon himself and the school. When he speaks/tweets, he should recognize that he doesn't only represent himself, but the school and the alumni. He should ensure that Liberty is conducted in a way that is beyond reproach knowing that there is a target on LU's back for its faith. That is another conversation though. My point is merely that the MS media act in such bad faith that they feel the need to consistently smear LU with legitimate criticisms ( such as displayed in this article) and tabloid level gossip (such as the pool boy controversy) in a way which no other school would recieve.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I've been known to be pretty critical of Jerry but I can't get past this sensational headline. I know Jerry brings it on himself but this:
The Washington Post wrote:Inside Liberty University’s ‘culture of fear’
How Jerry Falwell Jr. silences students and professors who reject his pro-Trump politics.
Is a little over the top
makarov97 wrote: July 25th, 2019, 7:52 pm Will E. Young is an self described liberal and social justice warrior. He’s also affiliated with Sojourners and is their editorial assistant. He is bitter and wants LU to change into what he deems “open and inclusive.” It’s laughable considering how close-minded and intolerant liberal academia is.

There are definitely ulterior motives.
You’re not entirely incorrect. That’s why I put the caveat in my statement. He started strong, but I agree the article turned into petty vindictiveness.
thepostman wrote: July 25th, 2019, 8:24 pm I've been known to be pretty critical of Jerry but I can't get past this sensational headline. I know Jerry brings it on himself but this:
The Washington Post wrote:Inside Liberty University’s ‘culture of fear’
How Jerry Falwell Jr. silences students and professors who reject his pro-Trump politics.
Is a little over the top
Here’s the thing though, try and get someone to be critical of him. They will be gone in a heartbeat. It may sound sensational but it’s not far from the truth at times
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I still cant get beyond the fact that people are shocked that schools censor their newspapers. That part is pure garbage to act like we are the only school that does that. Same with his last couple paragraghs on social issues, he drove any credibility straight off the cliff with those last few sections.

If he really wanted to change or cared about the school or mission you dont slip that last 3rd in. Besides its the same tired platform that has been printed over and over and over. They just change from the online school to the newspaper to jr personally.

Anybody thats reasonable knows some of that is true and some of it for good reason. If you really want to be a journalist then stick to the point rather than going off the grid like he did. Im good on these stories for awhile. Somebody needs some new material or something before ill read another.
jinxy wrote: July 25th, 2019, 10:43 pm I still cant get beyond the fact that people are shocked that schools censor their newspapers. That part is pure garbage to act like we are the only school that does that. Same with his last couple paragraghs on social issues, he drove any credibility straight off the cliff with those last few sections.

If he really wanted to change or cared about the school or mission you dont slip that last 3rd in. Besides its the same tired platform that has been printed over and over and over. They just change from the online school to the newspaper to jr personally.

Anybody thats reasonable knows some of that is true and some of it for good reason. If you really want to be a journalist then stick to the point rather than going off the grid like he did. Im good on these stories for awhile. Somebody needs some new material or something before ill read another.
I completely agree. Who in their right mind thinks that the school-sponsored newspaper will publish critical articles of itself. This obviously happens at every school. Sorry buddy, as a writer of the school-sponsored newspaper, your job is to put out puff pieces for the school in exchange for a seemingly prestigious extra-curricular activity. Your job is not to carry out "investigative journalism" of the school that sponsors your paper. I just feel like the kid had a conflated view of self-importance (as most journalists seem to do).
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]