This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
A lot of this issue stemmed from how the conversation happened. In essence, it was announced that Liberty wanted to give raises and one of the ways to do that was to lessen the medical insurance burden on the university.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Its actually fairly common. I know of 2 growing christian universities that use it. They have developed corporate type plans that are similar to hsas that they are offering to the schools. Lu would certainly be the largest one but i know of 4000 person school and 4500 that have it. I think its through CHM instead of medishare.

The insurance world is brutal. Its truly a shame that the democrats wouldn't compromise on something to alleviate this burden. Its killing small businesses and church's especially. My company is a financial with 250 people and there is only 1 option. Everyone made fun of trump when he kept resorting to competition and wouldn't answer in depth his plan when he was running for election but it is a huge part of the problem.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: June 24th, 2019, 11:23 pm Its actually fairly common. I know of 2 growing christian universities that use it. They have developed corporate type plans that are similar to hsas that they are offering to the schools. Lu would certainly be the largest one but i know of 4000 person school and 4500 that have it. I think its through CHM instead of medishare.

The insurance world is brutal. Its truly a shame that the democrats wouldn't compromise on something to alleviate this burden. Its killing small businesses and church's especially. My company is a financial with 250 people and there is only 1 option. Everyone made fun of trump when he kept resorting to competition and wouldn't answer in depth his plan when he was running for election but it is a huge part of the problem.
As I understand it, churches are now able to be considered "associations" and offer their staff and members the same type of healthcare benefits that a union would offer their members. A friend of mine in town works for an organization that is putting these services together for churches. They are offering a pretty interesting package of products that for $20 per month will allow any member, unlimited, 24-hour tele-medicine coverage, counseling, RX discounts, $10k term life insurance (basically enough to bury someone), $25,000 term for a child, and a $500 travel benefit. (Not sure what that is). That can increase to a family of six for $30 per month. They are also offering a healthcare cost-sharing program and traditional healthcare and life insurance at group prices.
By rhezick
jinxy wrote: June 24th, 2019, 11:23 pm Its actually fairly common. I know of 2 growing christian universities that use it. They have developed corporate type plans that are similar to hsas that they are offering to the schools. Lu would certainly be the largest one but i know of 4000 person school and 4500 that have it. I think its through CHM instead of medishare.

I'm sorry, but there is no universe in which I would work for a company that does not offer health insurance. Pretty it up all you like, but according to Medashare themselves, they are not insurance, and I can't imagine working for a place and not having my family insured. Blows my mind that this would even be considered as "needed" by LU to give bonuses.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
You should study what medical expense sharing programs really are. I’ve studied CHM in-depth. Very interesting.

Yes, group health insurance is less expensive by offering its employees a “bulk” rate. But ever since Obamacare was passed, those premiums have skyrocketed.

Medical expense sharing programs, like CHM, meet the IRS requirement for coverage, have greatly reduced monthly costs (1/2 of my company’s group health premium), 100% coverage of major medical expenses, no deductible, no coinsurance, and counseling for how to negotiate with providers regarding minor expenses.

I was anti-sharing, too. Until I really did my homework. We don’t use it yet, but we likely will within the next year or so.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Sadly nearly everyone I know who has the medical sharing plans states has to leave them when they have major medical issues. From what I understand, there are a lot of conditions that aren’t covered. I’m sure for some folks, it works out, but the information I’ve gotten definitely places my family out of interest in that plan. My son wouldn’t get the care he needs.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]