If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure what this means for their football program but an added independent partner in the short term would be nice. It also would open a spot in the AAC but that is probably not something we are ready to do at this point.

By Class of 20Something
Serious question,
All Sports, American invites Liberty. Does Ian say yes?

Pros
High level conference.
High profile markets and TV deals
Home attendance in all sports likely rises with competition and recognizable conference names.
The American put three teams in March Madness

Cons
Most LU sports are low to mid tier if in the American
Lose Indy Flexibility
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Hmmm. I’d have to noodle this one. I’m feeling yes this would be a good move but I’m not 100% sure on this.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id be good with a move to the American, and UConn moving to the Big East at least means we don't get walloped by 50 by coach Auriemma on an annual basis if we do end up there
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Slim to none we would get the invite. We bring too much baggage with Jr and his politics and to be honest I like where we’re at now.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
In terms of exit fees, AAC bylaws say that any school which departs would be obligated to pay approximately $10 million. Historically, those numbers end up being negotiated.

For the AAC, the next likely move would be to follow the model they have with Navy as a football-only and add a school like Army or Air Force. Then they’d follow up that move and add a basketball power like they recently did with Wichita State. (VCU would be the most logical target there.)

The other option would be to add a member in all sports, but there’s no obvious candidate who could add value in both basketball and football.
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-u-conn ... 00471.html
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 1:24 pm Sure it’d be great for us. But what value do we add the AAC?
The money LU would pay for a Buy In
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Truthfully UConn should've stayed w/ the Big East BBall schools and gone indy in football. Now lets just say the AAC does take VCU - do we get an invite to the A10 based on our extremely recent bball success?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 5:23 pm Truthfully UConn should've stayed w/ the Big East BBall schools and gone indy in football. Now lets just say the AAC does take VCU - do we get an invite to the A10 based on our extremely recent bball success?
I can't see AAC taking VCU. They are a non football school. LU should never even acknowledge that A-10 exists. A-10 is mostly a northern conference. LU has more of a footprint in the southern sector of country. We would have NOTHING to gain by joining A-10.
AAC would be good in that they are bigg schools, and are schools most are familiar with.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
There aren't many big brand schools out there for the taking right now, and if Army isn't available, the biggest name would be BYU. The question here is could BYU make more money as a member of the AAC than it currently does as an Independent. The school has a TV deal with ESPN, and it's expected to renew that contract soon. How much more money would being in the AAC be worth than the exclusive deal it has now? And would it be enough to offset the travel costs?
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... placement/
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 9:47 pm
ATrain wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 5:23 pm Truthfully UConn should've stayed w/ the Big East BBall schools and gone indy in football. Now lets just say the AAC does take VCU - do we get an invite to the A10 based on our extremely recent bball success?
I can't see AAC taking VCU. They are a non football school. LU should never even acknowledge that A-10 exists. A-10 is mostly a northern conference. LU has more of a footprint in the southern sector of country. We would have NOTHING to gain by joining A-10.
AAC would be good in that they are bigg schools, and are schools most are familiar with.
Your post makes joining the A-10 seem like a sensible thing to do. We already have a footprint in the South, why not grow it. We'll be in a league with Richmond, George Mason, and get exposure in major media markets like DC, NYC and Boston. A-10 generally sends at least 2 teams to the NCAA tourney every year, sometimes more, sometimes only one makes it, but its better than the A-Sun.

As for the AAC, they already took Wichita State, another non-football school way out in the middle of the country, so why not VCU?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I would dare say that taking VCU in all sports and bringing on Army in a football only role is more appealing to the AAC than the addition of LU. That also would make the Army/Navy game a conference game which would mean moving that came up a few weeks earlier which, with the tradition involved, may be easier said than done.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
By Lion1983
ATrain wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 7:54 am
Your post makes joining the A-10 seem like a sensible thing to do. We already have a footprint in the South, why not grow it. We'll be in a league with Richmond, George Mason, and get exposure in major media markets like DC, NYC and Boston. A-10 generally sends at least 2 teams to the NCAA tourney every year, sometimes more, sometimes only one makes it, but its better than the A-Sun.

As for the AAC, they already took Wichita State, another non-football school way out in the middle of the country, so why not VCU?
A-10 made less NCAA money than the ASUN this year, and has to split it more ways...
By Lion1983
Lion1983 wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 8:22 am

A-10 made less NCAA money than the ASUN this year, and has to split it more ways...
Sorry, I mis typed, the A-10 and the ASun made the same money, and the A-10 has to split it more ways... and the A-10 dont have the majority of the South, and Florida...
By Ewglenn
Lion1983 wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 9:10 am

Sorry, I mis typed, the A-10 and the ASun made the same money, and the A-10 has to split it more ways... and the A-10 dont have the majority of the South, and Florida...
The ASUN made the same amount of money because of Liberty. Not trying to stir the pot I’m just pointing out the obvious.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A-10 is a basketball conference. Their other sports are among worst in NCAA. Throw out basketball and Big South may be better than A-10.
I follow college sports closely, and I cannot name any schools from A-10, other than the 2 or 3 mentioned in this thread.
By Lion1983
Ewglenn wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 3:47 pm
Lion1983 wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 9:10 am

The ASUN made the same amount of money because of Liberty. Not trying to stir the pot I’m just pointing out the obvious.
I know you're not, and yes Liberty did do that for the conference. At the same time, Liberty may have hurt the conference by winning the conference championship, Lipscomb winning would have been the conference best chance (not say it would have happened) to get 2 in.

This year was a building year for lack of better words, for the ASun. FGCU being a little down because of their circumstances and having a transitional program actually winning a few games in the conference put everyone down the polls. UNA will get more and more competitive, FGCU will be good again, Lipscomb and Liberty will stay up at the top and the rest should be ok too. We can get multiple bids in the near future...

The ASun will get better and better with this lineup, the A-10 will stay put. At least the ASun cares about all sports it sponsors.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
Good move for UConn. its a basketball move. Hurts football right now. I could see UConn going to the MAC with UMass. (I know UMass was there before). this would create a rivalry. I could see Army moving to the AAC for football only like Navy does. I do not see the AAC being interested in the C-USA schools.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
From some things seen from opinion pieces I read over the weekend, UConn seems to be leaning towards the independent route for now. Which would be great for us to have another potential yearly program to schedule. I am not sure what the AAC will do, but between this and everything else going on at the FBS level things could get interesting in the next few years.
By BlueBlood
I keep wondering if FOX (who owns BE basketball rights and a decent percentage of B1G football rights), the B1G, and BTN (Fox/B1G jointly owned) have something up their sleeve that everyone is missing. Maybe the B1G guarantees a certain number of out of conference FB games to UConn. Maybe BTN gets to air the games --even the UConn home games. Maybe there are some B1G/UConn BB games negotiated too. The B1G has certainly been trying to increase its presence in the NYC and eastern markets. Could this present a way of doing it and making money on it without adding a member?

I haven't thought this all the way through, but feel like there should be some kind of a fiscal and scheduling win-win-win for UConn, the B1G and Fox here.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]