This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

ballah09 wrote:He looks really silly saying he’s not a minister but yet he keeps commenting on religious matters.
I’m glad he clarifies he’s not a minister of any sort. Too many people get that wrong and his association would make pastors look bad.

My objection is with him saying he’s not responsible for the spiritual side of Liberty. As the president/CEO, he’s ultimately responsible for everything under the Liberty brand. That includes spiritual life. He can’t just pick and choose the things he has interests in and say that’s what I’m responsible for. I don’t expect him to be in the weeds of day-to-day spiritual life leadership - that’s Nasser’s job - but ultimately Jerry is still responsible for it.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
ballah09 wrote:He looks really silly saying he’s not a minister but yet he keeps commenting on religious matters.
I’m glad he clarifies he’s not a minister of any sort. Too many people get that wrong and his association would make pastors look bad.

My objection is with him saying he’s not responsible for the spiritual side of Liberty. As the president/CEO, he’s ultimately responsible for everything under the Liberty brand. That includes spiritual life. He can’t just pick and choose the things he has interests in and say that’s what I’m responsible for. I don’t expect him to be in the weeds of day-to-day spiritual life leadership - that’s Nasser’s job - but ultimately Jerry is still responsible for it.

Well said.

Sr is rolling in his grave right now.
thepostman wrote:Platt is really getting a ton of criticism from eceyr direction for this thing. It is kind of crazy.
I don’t understand the criticism. You pray for your leaders. The Bible is replete with stories of God softening the hardest of hearts and using the unlikeliest of people. I don’t think he needs to grow anything. Nor be criticized as a lackey.
I had no idea who this guy was to be honest. But I did like trump’s hat head look and laughed that he was wearing golf shoes!
I visited MBC when I was visiting a friend in my second semester of seminary and listened to Pastor Solomon on the way into church on Sunday morning. When I heard about Pastor Platt praying for president Trump, it was quite an encouragement to me because it is scriptural to pray for your leaders (even if you disagree with them politically). I was more discouraged to read about parishioners at MBC being "hurt" by his doing that. If anything it should be more of an indictment on those parishioners than on Pastor Platt himself. I agree with Jon saying that he has handled this about as well as a pastor should given the response. He has ZERO to apologize for and frankly he should not have even HAD to explain what he was doing.
BJWilliams wrote:I visited MBC when I was visiting a friend in my second semester of seminary and listened to Pastor Solomon on the way into church on Sunday morning. When I heard about Pastor Platt praying for president Trump, it was quite an encouragement to me because it is scriptural to pray for your leaders (even if you disagree with them politically). I was more discouraged to read about parishioners at MBC being "hurt" by his doing that. If anything it should be more of an indictment on those parishioners than on Pastor Platt himself. I agree with Jon saying that he has handled this about as well as a pastor should given the response. He has ZERO to apologize for and frankly he should not have even HAD to explain what he was doing.
IMO, your all-time best post. Well said!
so did he delete that tweet? Which would be a sign that your admitting it was out of line.

I think platt did about 97 percent of whats right. I dont mind him responding even though i dont think he had to. I think it was disrespectful that he never mentioned trump by name only the president. You always introduce folks with the name. Honestly if trump or obama or whoever is submitting himself to the power of prayer by a bible believer anyone that would criticize that either isnt a christian or is totally clueless and does not believe in the power of prayer. That should be the hope that a leader would submit himself to that even if the reasons may be wrong.

His reply sounds like an apology because he mentions having to make the decision spur of the moment which implies he would have done something else had he had time to think it through.

Jerrys tweet has truth to it but the tone and verbiage was poor. The real dissappointment should be directed at that congregation that he would feel as though he needed to explain why he would pray for the president.

I like what trump is doing for the most part. Im not naive enough to think that its all for the right reasons and motivations. I just dont always like the ways he gets it done. However, the bible is full of examples of God using people that had no idea they were being used of God and didnt submit to his will. Hes been forced to fully adopt the conservative platform which protects life and other key christian elements. Ultimately God will be the one to judge where his heart is.

The biggest issue with jr is that hes gotten to be like trump where he punches back at everything. He is allowed to have opinions and even endorse and defend trump. Just needs to be more wise with his words and when he does it. By now most people know he supports DT. No need to create firestorm every single time something comes up to a detriment to the school.

Like everything else this season will pass too. I just pray for jerry for wisdom on when and how to speak his mind because his platform has changed and id love him to promote the school and christianity with the same vigor as he promotes DT.
jinxy wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 8:54 am
Like everything else this season will pass too. I just pray for jerry for wisdom on when and how to speak his mind because his platform has changed and id love him to promote the school and christianity with the same vigor as he promotes DT.
This is where I sit with it as well.
phoenix wrote: May 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm
ChampionsArise727 wrote: ... but I would say his priorities are more concerned with pleasing other people than actually preaching the Gospel for what it is (Galatians 1:10).
If you'd ever met Russell Moore or even just heard him speak, you'd understand why I am laughing so hard at you right now. Probably one of the most uninformed statements I've heard made.
Exactly! He is thoroughly conservative theologically and on “traditional values”. His biggest “sins” is he has spoken against the excesses of Trump and too many evangelical’s unequivocal support of him and calling out the sexual abuse in the SBC.

And his thrust is really having a proper and ethical witness to preach the Gospel!
The biggest issue with jr is that hes gotten to be like trump where he punches back at everything. He is allowed to have opinions and even endorse and defend trump. Just needs to be more wise with his words and when he does it. By now most people know he supports DT. No need to create firestorm every single time something comes up to a detriment to the school.
And it comes out from other employees. Like a siege mentality perfectly illustrated in the recent Higher Ed article regarding cutting School of Divinity positions:

By 2017, the Rawlings School of Divinity’s enrollment had dropped to 13,688 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students, or 15.8 percent of Liberty’s online enrollment.

Reached by telephone after being presented with those figures Friday, a Liberty spokesman said they were inaccurate. He said he had nothing “quotable” to offer in an interview. Inside Higher Ed informed him that the conversation was on the record. The spokesman reiterated that the numbers were not correct.

“You can publish them, and the day after you publish them, we’ll let the world know your enrollment numbers aren’t correct,” he said. “You might want to go back to your source and say, ‘Button down your numbers.’”

Inside Higher Ed had not disclosed the source of the information. The enrollment figures came from annual disclosure reports Liberty is required to file for bondholders who lent the university money, including through tax-exempt bonds issued through a state agency in 2010. The introductions to the reports bear the signature of Liberty’s senior vice president of finance.

In a telephone interview later, Falwell and several other administrators acknowledged the statistics as correct.”

Not a good look.
thepostman wrote: June 4th, 2019, 9:25 pm
adam42381 wrote:I’d love to hear/read Jonathan’s take on this.
I have always wondered how that dynamic is because Jonathan just seems like the complete opposite of his brother.
There is very little of a relationship between the two. That extends to their families. Sadly.
Just John wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 1:56 pm
And it comes out from other employees. Like a siege mentality perfectly illustrated in the recent Higher Ed article regarding cutting School of Divinity positions:

By 2017, the Rawlings School of Divinity’s enrollment had dropped to 13,688 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students, or 15.8 percent of Liberty’s online enrollment.

Reached by telephone after being presented with those figures Friday, a Liberty spokesman said they were inaccurate. He said he had nothing “quotable” to offer in an interview. Inside Higher Ed informed him that the conversation was on the record. The spokesman reiterated that the numbers were not correct.

“You can publish them, and the day after you publish them, we’ll let the world know your enrollment numbers aren’t correct,” he said. “You might want to go back to your source and say, ‘Button down your numbers.’”

Inside Higher Ed had not disclosed the source of the information. The enrollment figures came from annual disclosure reports Liberty is required to file for bondholders who lent the university money, including through tax-exempt bonds issued through a state agency in 2010. The introductions to the reports bear the signature of Liberty’s senior vice president of finance.

In a telephone interview later, Falwell and several other administrators acknowledged the statistics as correct.”

Not a good look.
Can you please edit this and provide a link? Thanks!
“The faculty, students and campus pastor @davidnasser of @LibertyU are the ones who keep LU strong spiritually as the best Christian univ in the world,” he added. “While I am proud to be a conservative Christian, my job is to keep LU successful academically, financially and in athletics.”
https://thewayofimprovement.com/2019/06 ... nt-page-1/

Smooth, here you go.
It is comical how he tosses the away any responsibility for the spiritual side of things but then is willing to chime in on something like athletics. As if there aren't also people in a position who oversee that program as well. His statement about the spiritual health of the university could just as well be applied to athletics. "The coaches, athletes and our Athletic Director are the ones who keep LU strong in athletics..."
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]