This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
Jerry went after Russell Moore on Twitter last night and also retweeted this article:
The president of Liberty University issued a stunning rebuke to the Southern Baptist Convention. During Liberty’s baccalaureate service Friday, Jerry Falwell Jr. accused new leaders in the SBC of taking the convention away from its conservative roots and betraying the conservative resurgence.

Falwell praised the conservative resurgence led by men like baccalaureate speaker Dr. Jerry Vines for bringing the SBC back “to more accurately reflect the values of most Southern Baptist members.”

Falwell said that “unfortunately, a new generation has taken the Convention away from those values in many ways.”

Falwell promised Liberty University would continue to defend its conservative values.

“We will continue to honor the conservative leaders who reformed the Southern Baptist Convention, and we place our hope in your generation to be the ones to step up and provide better leadership for the future,” Falwell told the graduates.
http://bit.ly/2YvpBnf
Last edited by thepostman on July 8th, 2019, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Dedicated Jerry Falwell Jr thread
The best part:
What precipitated the frustration? Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary’s removal of stained-glass windows of conservative theological leaders sparked the rebuke, but it is clear this isn’t about the windows—but it runs much deeper. It is about the theological and public policy stances destroying the unity of the Southern Baptist Convention. We’ve pointed out before, that the future of the SBC is bleak as progressives continue to weaken the Southern Baptist Convention.

He said the windows were “removed by the new regime.”

He likened the operation of the new regime to a “Southern Baptist Deep State.”
Not to stick up for our dim president, but a lot of people in the SBC don't like Russell Moore and what he says. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the people who even know who he is are anti-Moore. Interesting, though, that one of LU's more well-known professors actually works for Moore's org.

I would agree that there is a strong pull coming from the left, but that's always going to be the case.

But the whole "values" thing is hogwash. There are no "values" in the SBC, there's hardly even a theological confession. The churches are all independent, and that's why they can agree or disagree with Russell Moore.
I can understand why Falwell said this. Overall, while I think Russel Moore has some good points and beliefs, he seems more interested in pushing a multicultural agenda and pluralistic religious tolerance than he is actually promoting Biblical truth. Compromising to fit the needs of modern culture isn't going to help the Gospel grow, if anything it undercuts it. While being tolerant and loving to all people is important, it's not as important as the truth of the Gospel (we're totally depraved, Christ came for us so we could have peace with Him). At the end of the day, Moore isn't a progressive compared to institutions like Grace Point Church but I would say his priorities are more concerned with pleasing other people than actually preaching the Gospel for what it is (Galatians 1:10). Not trying to start a debate, I don't think Falwell hates the SBC but has some disagreements with parts of their leadership.

LETS GO LU!!!!!!!!!!
People are gonna call you a Calvinist if you bring up depravity. But I think it's something we talk too softly about. My pastor is great at reminding us on Sunday that we are "a broken church of broken people" and helping manage that we can't determine out faith in Christ because of the Christians we meet. But I don't feel there's a modern weight placed upon the indecision of accepting Christ.
ChampionsArise727 wrote:I can understand why Falwell said this. Overall, while I think Russel Moore has some good points and beliefs, he seems more interested in pushing a multicultural agenda and pluralistic religious tolerance than he is actually promoting Biblical truth. Compromising to fit the needs of modern culture isn't going to help the Gospel grow, if anything it undercuts it. While being tolerant and loving to all people is important, it's not as important as the truth of the Gospel (we're totally depraved, Christ came for us so we could have peace with Him). At the end of the day, Moore isn't a progressive compared to institutions like Grace Point Church but I would say his priorities are more concerned with pleasing other people than actually preaching the Gospel for what it is (Galatians 1:10). Not trying to start a debate, I don't think Falwell hates the SBC but has some disagreements with parts of their leadership.

LETS GO LU!!!!!!!!!!
Good first post.
Russell Moore is someone who’s name comes up a lot it seems. Not sure I have agreed with most of what I have seen on him. I’m also still confused why people take Jerry and as a Theologian At least Russell Moore has the training and background
Class of 20Something wrote:People are gonna call you a Calvinist if you bring up depravity. But I think it's something we talk too softly about. My pastor is great at reminding us on Sunday that we are "a broken church of broken people" and helping manage that we can't determine out faith in Christ because of the Christians we meet. But I don't feel there's a modern weight placed upon the indecision of accepting Christ.
That sounds like my pastor. Word for word.
flamehunter wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:People are gonna call you a Calvinist if you bring up depravity. But I think it's something we talk too softly about. My pastor is great at reminding us on Sunday that we are "a broken church of broken people" and helping manage that we can't determine out faith in Christ because of the Christians we meet. But I don't feel there's a modern weight placed upon the indecision of accepting Christ.
Perhaps we attend the same church.
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
Perhaps we attend the same church.
Well, that was my thought too, but I didn't want to get your hopes up. :lol:
HBC?
I disagree with the title of this thread. Just because we disagree doesn’t mean we hate.

Furthermore, I don’t have an issue with JJ’s decisions regarding the windows. The words at baccalaureate we’re obviously emotional, and maybe not the most wise. But give any of us a pulpit after our father was posthumously and publicly humiliated, I dare say the majority of us would do the same.
ChampionsArise727 wrote: ... but I would say his priorities are more concerned with pleasing other people than actually preaching the Gospel for what it is (Galatians 1:10).
If you'd ever met Russell Moore or even just heard him speak, you'd understand why I am laughing so hard at you right now. Probably one of the most uninformed statements I've heard made.
phoenix wrote:
ChampionsArise727 wrote: ... but I would say his priorities are more concerned with pleasing other people than actually preaching the Gospel for what it is (Galatians 1:10).
If you'd ever met Russell Moore or even just heard him speak, you'd understand why I am laughing so hard at you right now. Probably one of the most uninformed statements I've heard made.
Yeah, I agree. I also know that several folks in the school of religion leadership are big fans of his. Most of them that I know don't seem to agree with Jr.'s theological conclusions, which is a breath of fresh air.
Yacht Rock wrote:
phoenix wrote:
Yeah, I agree. I also know that several folks in the school of religion leadership are big fans of his. Most of them that I know don't seem to agree with Jr.'s theological conclusions, which is a breath of fresh air.
This would imply some sort of study, discipline or some other higher level of learning. Opinion and Theology are not the same. I give opinions as do most of you; Jr. is no different.
rogers3 wrote:
This would imply some sort of study, discipline or some other higher level of learning. Opinion and Theology are not the same. I give opinions as do most of you; Jr. is no different.
I’m specifically speaking about claims he’s made about the meaning of Biblical text and the words of Christ. Bad hermeneutics leads to a flawed understanding. You might not want to call that his theological beliefs, but I would.
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 7 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]