The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Ballcoach is at the race track at Talladega. :oldhag Softball is the farthest thing from his mind today.
Hah! I'll concede he may be focused on "racin" at the moment, but highly doubt softball is ever far from his mind.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure Ballcoach will be checking sores on his phone. :oldhag
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:I'm sure we lacked plate discipline and our swings were feeble.
Don’t forget poor fielding
They obviously didn't "come to play".
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In Ballcoach's absence, Lady Flames are shut out again, 1-0, as UNA wins the weekend series. To make matters worse, the UNA pitcher threw a no-hitter.
http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 9&teamID=2

According to the ASUN website, Lipscomb (13-4) and FGCU (13-4) are tied for first place, and LU (16-5) is in second place in the conference right now:
http://www.asunsports.org/sports/sball/index

Ballcoach, I hope your race was worth it! You abandoned your team in their time of need. :nono
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:I'm sure we lacked plate discipline and our swings were feeble.
Don’t forget poor fielding
They obviously didn't "come to play".
Poor base running
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Or the classic, "they left their bats in Lynchburg" (that's a direct quote from Ballcoach himself).
By loweralabama
Lipscomb and Florida Gulf Coast play next weekend in Ft Myers. As long as one team does not sweep we will be regular season winners and 1st seed. If a team sweeps they will win the regular season and we will be 2nd seed.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I wonder how many games PH and old flame have attended this season. They appear to know more than myself and several others who have seen numerous games.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
We can’t compare to the knowledge and wisdom of the greatest mind in the history of Sportsball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
loweralabama wrote:Lipscomb and Florida Gulf Coast play next weekend in Ft Myers. As long as one team does not sweep we will be regular season winners and 1st seed. If a team sweeps they will win the regular season and we will be 2nd seed.
Sounds like you know what you are talking about, although I am still dumbfounded as to how the ASUN could be so stupid as to determine seedings by win% when they do not allow make-up games. If either FGCU or Lipscomb sweep next weekend and get that 1 seed when we have the same number of wins and beat them head to head, it will be an embarrassment to the conference.

Here is how stupid that rule is. If our last game against N Bama had been cancelled, we would now have clinched the #1 seed. What if one or more games are cancelled next weekend? By my calculation, if the whole thing is rained out, both of those teams would have a better % than us despite 3 fewer wins, and with no head to head, the 1 seed would be determined by a secondary tie-breaker between them, which I believe would go to Lipscomb, because they won a game against us, while we swept FGCU.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I guess ASUN is afraid someone may have to travel or "stay over" an extra day for a make up game. I wonder what their tournament rain out policy is ?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I guess ASUN is afraid someone may have to travel or "stay over" an extra day for a make up game. I wonder what their tournament rain out policy is ?
I don't think it is practical to have make up games, especially in the ASUN, with the travel distances involved. The solution would be to do what the BSC and a lot of other conferences do and determine seedings by the number of wins. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If we can win the ASUN regular season, Virginia will have 4 conference champions in softball:

VT : ACC
Longwood : BSC
JMU : CAA
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
loweralabama wrote:Lipscomb and Florida Gulf Coast play next weekend in Ft Myers. As long as one team does not sweep we will be regular season winners and 1st seed. If a team sweeps they will win the regular season and we will be 2nd seed.
Sounds like you know what you are talking about, although I am still dumbfounded as to how the ASUN could be so stupid as to determine seedings by win% when they do not allow make-up games. If either FGCU or Lipscomb sweep next weekend and get that 1 seed when we have the same number of wins and beat them head to head, it will be an embarrassment to the conference.

Here is how stupid that rule is. If our last game against N Bama had been cancelled, we would now have clinched the #1 seed. What if one or more games are cancelled next weekend? By my calculation, if the whole thing is rained out, both of those teams would have a better % than us despite 3 fewer wins, and with no head to head, the 1 seed would be determined by a secondary tie-breaker between them, which I believe would go to Lipscomb, because they won a game against us, while we swept FGCU.
FGCU and Lipscomb play a double header Thursday (May 2) and single game Friday. I believe all games will be on ESPN+.
Hopefully they will split the DH on Thursday.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]