Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I think we had 3 long passes for TD: one by Bennett, another by Stubbs on a trick play since he's a running back, and a final one by Buckshot.

Freeze played 4 or 5 quarterbacks, but Bennett looked the most impressive by far. Every pass was right on target, and Buckshot kept getting "sacked" because all the defense had to do was tough you.

Robinson came in at QB at the end of the game and ran the ball on almost every play. It looked like seeing Mike Brown out there again.

About Coach Freeze, rather than being on the sidelines, he stood about 10 yards behind the QB on every play.

Shaa and Louis looked really good at receiver, and both Boyd and Mack looked impressive at RB.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I think we had 3 long passes for TD: one by Bennett, another by Stubbs on a trick play since he's a running back, and a final one by Buckshot.

Freeze played 4 or 5 quarterbacks, but Bennett looked the most impressive by far. Every pass was right on target, and Buckshot kept getting "sacked" because all the defense had to do was tough you.

Robinson came in at QB at the end of the game and ran the ball on almost every play. It looked like seeing Mike Brown out there again.

About Coach Freeze, rather than being on the sidelines, he stood about 10 yards behind the QB on every play.

Shaa and Louis looked really good at receiver, and both Boyd and Mack looked impressive at RB.
Gandy-Golden in street clothes.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe the Baptists outnumbered the students something like 250 to 1, in the bleachers today. Maybe greater.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Position wise

Qb - Jb looked very good and got smashed on one of his first plays then stood in on next play and threw a 40 yard seed down the middle. Very impressed with him. Very developed for his age.
Buckshot was the only one with the no contact jersey which led to a few sacks but his arm strength was back and we run a ton of intermediate routes that he can utilize his strength on rather than just bubble screens and bombs. Cunningham is just awful. Got benched after second pic. Brandon robinson only got one late drive but looked solid and van zellen did as well. Those 2 should be fighting it out for 3rd string. Van zellen has a phillip rivers type motion.

Mack and pickett both looked excellent. We will be just fine at rb with those 2 and hickson. Boyd henderson and louis could all be a 3rd down type back.

Tight end - Huntley is going to be a game changer for us in the red zone and over the middle. Barrett looked great too. Freeze knows how to use those guys.

Wr - tough to gauge as freeze mentioned with guys out of position. Shaa was open a lot but had several drops as well as his 6 catches. Shedeo louis appears to be one of if not the fastest guy on team. If that guy gets free hes a threat to take it to the house. Could see him returning kicks too. Again should be good here when we get all the guys in.

Oline - def gonna need knight to come in and win lt. That side had trouble all day. Really need to add another grad transfer there as well. I think this group will be ok with knight and another piece .

Defense - austin lewis is going to be an early round pick. That guy is an animal and has the height and frame to keep going. I bet both he and lemonier hit double digit sacks. Overall the first team looked dang good. Much more down hill and better tackling. Certainly need the depth there. Marcellous harris, scruggs, dabney and wilson all looked pretty good in coverage.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Defense shines in Spring Game before offense makes comeback in 4th Q

http://www.aseaofred.com/defense-shines ... -in-4th-q/
great piece MANSON

What do I know, but the way HCHF and his DC talk it validates the feeling I've had that we just gave up the last couple yrs, played trash d and tried to outscore everyone

Obviously he's trying to fix that but its gonna take time and bodies
By rtb72
What a beautiful day for football! The weather was great, and hopefully indicative of what we might enjoy this fall....considering last year's game days were rather wet, cold and windy. My biggest takeaways were the move to a traditional format and the PHYSICALITY of the scrimmage. The defense clearly won the day, and the "two-hand tag" silliness of years past was gone...with the exception of Buckshot. I like that HCHF is bringing back the more aggressive and physical practice model. I think this in part was the reason our tackling last year was so dismal at times. My personal most concerning takeaway was QB and the kicking game. Punting and field goals left MUCH to be desired. Nonetheless....fun day on campus.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:Defense shines in Spring Game before offense makes comeback in 4th Q

great piece MANSON

What do I know, but the way HCHF and his DC talk it validates the feeling I've had that we just gave up the last couple yrs, played trash d and tried to outscore everyone

:)
By Jonathan Carone
PAmedic wrote:

great piece MANSON

I’ll take it a step further:

It shows we were good at recruiting top end talent but not putting together solid recruiting classes or developing the talent once here.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
PAmedic wrote:

great piece MANSON

I’ll take it a step further:

It shows we were good at recruiting top end talent but not putting together solid recruiting classes or developing the talent once here.
This was the number one problem by far in my humble opinion.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I believe the Baptists outnumbered the students something like 250 to 1, in the bleachers today. Maybe greater.
The only ones in the student side were the recruits and their family. All the students were Baptists for the afternoon.
By Jonathan Carone
That’s been fairly typical of the spring game even back when I was a student. The student side isn’t nearly as comfortable for a 1pm start on a warm day as the baptist side.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
It was so warm Saturday that if felt good to sit under the shade of the upper deck and be so close to the concession stands: my hamburger was FBS ready, but the condiments were D3 (no pickle relish or onions; just mayo, ketchup, & mustard).
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
This was the 2-deep for Saturday's spring game, *please note this is not an official depth chart*:

QB Buckshot - Cunningham/Bennett
RB Pickett - Mack/Boyd/Henderson
WR Louis - Shaa
WR Stubbs - Brumm
WR King - Wood
LT Schultz - McCaw
LG Bounds - Schlittler
C Sargeant - Graham
RG Duff - Bodden
RT Isaacson - Kourtis
TE Barrett - Huntley/Jackson

DE Lemonier