This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

PAmedic wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/us/c ... l.amp.html

Absolutely insane

TL/DR version: rich people buy their kids’ way into high-end academia perpetuating the myth of the the value of the Ivy’s exclusivity when it’s all basically crap
You should have applied for a sailing scholarship
Faking learning disabilities and scamming affirmative action by manipulating race were the ones that really made me vomit

( But yeah let’s bust balls that LU is a diploma mill)

And I would have made a great sailor
Typically the real real rich build a building and their kids are accepted.
The moderate wealthy like cheat as seen in this scandal.
And, how did David Hogg get into Harvard?

I feel for the legitimate kids that lost opportunity because of theses fools.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t know that the NCAA will do a lot quickly about this. But considering the coaches were the ones with the key to the side door into the college and exploited it for personal gain via their recruitment and roster lists, I could see it.

Coaches can get a kid in who otherwise wouldn’t if the coach asserts they are recruiting the kid. But that usually means if the kid accepts and enrolls, they are on the school’s Institutional Roster List (IRL) with the NCAA. So if they defrauded the school, then it’s possible they defrauded the NCAA, too. Compliance Officers at the school who didn’t catch this could feel some heat too.

This has been happening forever, but now these coaches got paid under the table for it.

I recruited a player once against Columbia in the Ivy League. She was legitimately very high academically and athletically. But she took thenColumbia offer, then quit competing after her first season. I would imagine this happens a lot in the Ivy League, which I’m sure most of you know does not offer athletic scholarships.
PAmedic wrote:Faking learning disabilities and scamming affirmative action by manipulating race were the ones that really made me vomit

( But yeah let’s bust balls that LU is a diploma mill)

And I would have made a great sailor
We hear you’re a fan of Navy seaman
These stories are crazy. One person paid $6 million dollars for their kid to get accepted. $6 million!!! The FBI is on the scent since the shoe company payment debacle and is just picking the low hanging fruit. There is a local story on a guy getting busted for defrauding the Dept of Education https://www.godanriver.com/news/danvill ... 64135.html .IMG Academy also participated in something similar https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2019 ... -have-done . Safe to say Higher Education will continue to undergo a level of scrutiny for the foreseeable future.
NCAA should lower the boom on schools that cheat. Ban schools from bowl games and NCAA post season tournaments for 3 or 4 years, will eliminate most of the cheating. If a coach is caught buying recruits, ban him/her from NCAA for life.

The way things have been for past few years, schools cheat, knowing NCAA will basically look the other way, if they are caught. Especially P5 schools.
ballcoach15 wrote:NCAA should lower the boom on schools that cheat. Ban schools from bowl games and NCAA post season tournaments for 3 or 4 years, will eliminate most of the cheating. If a coach is caught buying recruits, ban him/her from NCAA for life.

The way things have been for past few years, schools cheat, knowing NCAA will basically look the other way, if they are caught. Especially P5 schools.
This isn't an NCAA scandal.
It does appear that there were some athletic admissions administrators and coaches who were taking bribes as part of this scandal. If they were doing this stuff for folks who weren't actual athletes, I think it's fair to say that those institutions should be heavily audited to see what kind of compliance was being done for other students, including the actual athletes.

While this behavior didn't necessarily directly impact the NCAA, I think it impacts the integrity of the student-athlete admissions process, which the NCAA obviously has an interest in.
Just a question - since USC is a private school - and for example IF the coaches weren’t taking the $ direct as a bribe but say instead it was a donation to Athletic Dept. or the School - there wouldn’t be a crime correct ? . ( I could see it being a legal issue with a state school ).
tyndal23 wrote:Just a question - since USC is a private school - and for example IF the coaches weren’t taking the $ direct as a bribe but say instead it was a donation to Athletic Dept. or the School - there wouldn’t be a crime correct ? . ( I could see it being a legal issue with a state school ).
Changing where the money is directed doesn't change the fact that it's a bribe.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
But if it’s a donation to a booster club, it isn’t under the table. The same as he shoe scandal, the institution is harmed while being defrauded by someone’s under-the-table actions in violation of membership rules. So the institution was unknowingly put at risk while someone else benefited. That’s the issue.

So if they built a building for the school, they’d have a better chance of getting their kid in and NOT facing criminal charges.
If an AD at a private school or even a public school has x amount of scholarships he can give out and a booster wants to donate $6,000,000 to the Athletic Department and in exchange the kid uses one of those scholarships and never participates - would it be criminal ? ( I understand the school may have an issue if the AD didn’t inform them, or the AD might even ask the President if it is fine ) Example - AD - to coach - hey I am using one of your rowing scholarships but we are getting $6 million - but since I am using one I am going to increase the rowing buddget 100k a year...
Oh look Its not just the sports that are corrupt. its the academic side too. Color me SHOCKED. SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

In all seriousness are we really surprised? This has been going on for years. its acceptable if someone builds a building on campus. this is just another way. Lets be honest. College admission criteria are guidelines than actual rules. Same with the SEC(it just means more) and paying recruits. It happens at every institute in the p5 and has trickled down to the G5. heck freaking coastal's bball coach got popped a few years ago when they were a mid major in the big south for sending gear baskets. Until the government or the NCAA lights the whole thing on fire and lets it burn, nothing will stop it. And by that I mean hand out death penalties like they are candy. and they won't because it means taking $$$ out of the College administrators and NCAA's pockets.

They've created a monster and ultimately it will be the undoing of college sports. As for the academic side? well FM and FM will probably be their undoing. Its not sustainable. Bring on the trade schools.
flamesfilmguy wrote:Oh look Its not just the sports that are corrupt. its the academic side too. Color me SHOCKED. SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

In all seriousness are we really surprised? This has been going on for years. its acceptable if someone builds a building on campus. this is just another way. Lets be honest. College admission criteria are guidelines than actual rules. Same with the SEC(it just means more) and paying recruits. It happens at every institute in the p5 and has trickled down to the G5. heck freaking coastal's bball coach got popped a few years ago when they were a mid major in the big south for sending gear baskets. Until the government or the NCAA lights the whole thing on fire and lets it burn, nothing will stop it. And by that I mean hand out death penalties like they are candy. and they won't because it means taking $$$ out of the College administrators and NCAA's pockets.

They've created a monster and ultimately it will be the undoing of college sports. As for the academic side? well FM and FM will probably be their undoing. Its not sustainable. Bring on the trade schools.
Yeah I'm waiting for that college bubble to pop. Cost is way too high for the value at most of these schools unless you stay in-state and go public, and even then you better be going to a good quality one. Too much money is being spent on stuff that doesn't directly serve the academic mission of universities.

Glad I got out of working in college athletics, vast majority of private schools are either going to go under or be forced to cut back drastically on budgets and faculty/staff. I don't want to be around it when it happens.

State schools will have a better chance of staying open because they cost considerably less, but they will feel quite a lot of effects from it too.
For these fat cats, the problem with the "old school" method of paying for a building or just making a huge donation was that you spend all that $$ and there is no actual quid pro quo. If their kid's HS grades and test scores are a dumpster fire, they can still reject them. This guy provided guaranteed results. Laughlin's daughter is on record as saying she is only going to USC for the ball games and parties.
tyndal23 wrote:If an AD at a private school or even a public school has x amount of scholarships he can give out and a booster wants to donate $6,000,000 to the Athletic Department and in exchange the kid uses one of those scholarships and never participates - would it be criminal ? ( I understand the school may have an issue if the AD didn’t inform them, or the AD might even ask the President if it is fine ) Example - AD - to coach - hey I am using one of your rowing scholarships but we are getting $6 million - but since I am using one I am going to increase the rowing buddget 100k a year...
My understanding is that the schools never saw most of this money. The coaches and administrators involved kept it.
Yes, that is true and thus a crime - I was asking simply from the standpoint of a if Pres/AD approves it and it is better for the school to go that route vs a perceived gaming of the official admittance requirements and taking away a spot ( accepting a kid who doesn’t qualify normally but parents write a big check for a building ) to use an allotted non $ scholarship/slot that has a lower GPA / admission standard ( make the kid show up for 1st day of practice and he can quit ) type thing. ( was arguing with a friend - he was stating that would stil be illegal - I don’t think so ).
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]