If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have perceived somewhat of a revival of interest in the board of late. probably a combination of the Freeze effect and the success of MBB. We've had some pretty good discussions.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I for one love the board. I don't post as often as I'd like mainly because I'm kinda busy with my own university. I will say this: Part of what made/makes the message board fun is/was that we did have insiders who had good info coming in. There isn't a lot of that anymore. The crackdown on staff using this board. Some staff when I was there were incredibly smart on when and how they posted and therefore not many knew they were insiders. I feel like since a lot of us who worked at LU myself included have moved on from the mountain, The info isn't as readily available. I'm not saying I dropped any major info when I worked there because I didn't. mainly because I was fearful of the admin firing me. I think thats the standard now. everyone on staff reads this board or at least knows it exists. but don't think that JFJR posting on here didn't get a lot of peoples attention. They knew he was watching for leaks and mis info and subsequently you stopped seeing insider info come in. I love what Jon has done with the reporting wing of this site. Its legitimately great info without being a mouthpiece of the university (kudos to you guys on that). Just my two cents.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:We have ballcoach and his #sources now.
:oldhag :clapping :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:We have ballcoach and his #sources now.
:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach needs to check with his sources to determine why "board" is so slow today. With spring football practice, baseball, softball, and basketball season underway, one would think there would be "more action" on board.
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:Ballcoach needs to check with his sources to determine why "board" is so slow today. With spring football practice, baseball, softball, and basketball season underway, one would think there would be "more action" on board.
ducking 60 mph winds here for 24 hours and it looks like youins sent it out way.
We have a ton of power outages not sure about yall and the stills outside Gretna.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Just revisiting this thread a little bit but I am curious to get thoughts out what could be done to generate more conversation on this board. I was just looking at the users registered on this board and there seems to be quite a few new accounts created the past few months. How can we, as a community, encourage these new users (and users who have been absent for a while) to engage/reengage and help contribute to the conversation? Is more moderation the key? How about having someone/someones kind of guide more conversation in connection with the great content that Manson and the others at ASOR provide?

I would love to find a way to integrate ASOR, the message board and social media in a more seamless way but am not sure if there is a way to do that that doesn't cost a ton of money but I know there are some smart people on here that may have thoughts and ideas on that. I am just a long time member of this board and would love to see it grow again. I know that some believe that message boards are dying but the amount of new users/page views says that there is an opportunity to grow this community and in turn help ASOR grow has well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Thank you ballcoach for you input. Any idea as to why that is?
They are his multiple personalities?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I believe a lot of fans like to read the board, but have no interest in posting. I know of a few who are in this category.
Including some of your sources. :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I believe a lot of fans like to read the board, but have no interest in posting. I know of a few who are in this category.
Including some of your sources. :oldhag
You know, I’ll give ballcoach this. At least he comes in and interacts. The majority of his non softball statements are......sophomoric to be kind, but at least he’s got the courage to get in here
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Thank you ballcoach for you input. Any idea as to why that is?
They probably just enjoy reading "posts", rather than posting themselves. They probably realize some posters are very sensitive and their panties get wadded up, if someone posts something they don't agree with.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:So how could we help this board foster more discussion and not scare people off?
I'll have to think for awhile on this.

How many "members" are there currently ?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I'd estimate there are 3175 non-posting members.

Maybe an Ad could be placed on Football Board, to drum up new posters. I guess football is most widely read board of them all.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Is there a way to see how many of those 3,200 have visited the board in the past year? Just browsing the recent members list it seems that most new members sign up then never return.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Is there a way to see how many of those 3,200 have visited the board in the past year? Just browsing the recent members list it seems that most new members sign up then never return.
That is something I would love to figure out. There are mechanisms in place to prevent spammer accounts from making accounts so these are real people. I'm just not sure what keeps people away from posting. I also would love to know what we could do as a community to encourage more engagement.
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Is there a way to see how many of those 3,200 have visited the board in the past year? Just browsing the recent members list it seems that most new members sign up then never return.
That is something I would love to figure out. There are mechanisms in place to prevent spammer accounts from making accounts so these are real people. I'm just not sure what keeps people away from posting. I also would love to know what we could do as a community to encourage more engagement.
I think it comes to LU continuing to get better and more exposed in sports. It's hard for forums to gain attraction these days with all the social media apps that are present. Also, more people have short memory spans so something like a forum wouldn't be interesting. Filtered pictures and short videos are more popular than reading thoughts/opinions of others. Basically what I'm saying is our society is 'dumbing' (for lack of a better word) down and it'll be hard to even have people remain here or even promote this forum to share ideas/opinions.

https://cornellsun.com/2016/10/24/resea ... on-memory/
By Jonathan Carone
Being on a message board has a pretty negative reputation with it. People love reading, but they don’t want to be known as one of those crazy people on the message boards.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]