Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Of course it would be better if HF did it but it also isn't unheard of for a coordinator or assistant head coach or chief of staff to let people go who fall under their authority. It's how things work in the real world. I like Mike Brown and it sucks this happened and I hope he is able to move on quickly.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:I have been told by multiple people that Hugh Freeze has fired former Liberty great and RB Coach Mike Brown. I have also been told that Freeze didn't have the guts to handle it himself and made another staff member to do it. Multiple people told me that Freeze handled this really poorly. The timing is really bad because it will be harder for Mike to pick up a job this late in the coaching cycle. This is about as PG as I can be on the subject matter but not impressed with how Hugh handled this at all.
I felt it coming after hearing his first presser. Didn't seem committed to MB then. :cry:
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
givemethemic wrote:I have been told by multiple people that Hugh Freeze has fired former Liberty great and RB Coach Mike Brown. I have also been told that Freeze didn't have the guts to handle it himself and made another staff member to do it. Multiple people told me that Freeze handled this really poorly. The timing is really bad because it will be harder for Mike to pick up a job this late in the coaching cycle. This is about as PG as I can be on the subject matter but not impressed with how Hugh handled this at all.
We have confirmed that Brown is out as RB coach

http://www.aseaofred.com/mike-brown-no- ... ing-staff/
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Hate to see a guy who clearly loves LU go. Especially since Coach Freeze continues to take interviews and emphasize that we are just a 1st/short stop on his SEC comeback tour.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We are a G5 program. That makes us a stepping stone job. At least he isn't pretending he will around forever.

I do wish he could've found a place for Mike Brown.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This could not have come as a surprise to Mike after the less than ringing endorsement he got in the presser introducing the staff. In 20/20 hindsight, it probably would have been better to make the move earlier. It is quite possible HF picked up on how popular Mike is around here and felt it was worth taking the time to be sure before pulling the trigger.
By gerb
Good grief. :roll: Some here need to lay off the soy lattes.

People get canned all the time for good reason, no reason, hidden reason, gut instinct, annoying laugh, etc. HF was very transparent that he was still evaluating. And now his evaluation is complete. If a guy that has been terminated is like-able, folks around them alway gripe that the leader shouldn't have done it or the way he did it wasn't respectful, blah blah.

Does MB have what it takes to be successful in the system that HF is implementing? Dunno but I know who has a pretty good idea.... (hint - the guy with the visor)

MB is a big boy with a good network. He'll find a spot to land.
By GoLU_13_21
Where does Freeze continue to state this is just a step back to the SEC? Sources people all of them! It's not that I don't believe anyone on here but I'd like to see these because what I've seen, he seems all in on LU. Especially his wife that convinced him to come here. Also can someone post another link to the ASOR interview, the other day the other one did not work for me.
Last edited by GoLU_13_21 on January 26th, 2019, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
GoLU_13_21 wrote:Where does Freeze continue to state this is just a step back to the SEC? Sources people all of them! It's not that I don't believe anyone on here but I'd like to see these because what I've seen, he seems all in on LU. Especially his wife that convinced him to come here. Also can someone post another link to the ASOR interview the other day the other one did not work for me.
I wondered same thing. I believe some had him leaving before he got here.
By Class of 20Something
There have been at least three separate interviews where he has said he, "wants to Coach in the SEC again" including the Paul Finebaum interview the day after he was hired. I'll link any new ones that come up. The only words that he has said that lend to the idea he wants to stay is how long it takes to recruit.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Clearly you guys aren't listening to us interviews if you have to ask where he has said that. He said in the last radio interview that he sees himself as a builder and doesn't like to be places longer than 5 to 7 years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Clearly you guys aren't listening to us interviews if you have to ask where he has said that. He said in the last radio interview that he sees himself as a builder and doesn't like to be places longer than 5 to 7 years.
5 to 7 years would be amazing. For the record, the only coach in the history of our program with a tenure of more than 7 years was Sam Rutigliano (10). Less than 4 probably only happens if we do a whole lot of winning. Anybody want to complain about that? It's totally my subjective opinion, but it seems to me that HF has begun to focus more on Liberty and what it has to offer in more recent interviews.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: Less than 4 probably only happens if we do a whole lot of winning.
I have a hard time believing this. If we win a bowl game and Vandy comes calling. Hes gone.

Speaking of Vandy and Nashville, that was the location that Freeze chose to do his 1 hour long PR redemption radio interview.
By gerb
Nothing wrong with the interviews focusing on HF.

HF as our head coach is the strongest pitch to top talent, period. Smart to pound that fact in every interview throughout SEC country relentlessly.
By gerb
R i wrote:
oldflame wrote: Less than 4 probably only happens if we do a whole lot of winning.
I have a hard time believing this. If we win a bowl game and Vandy comes calling. Hes gone.

Speaking of Vandy and Nashville, that was the location that Freeze chose to do his 1 hour long PR redemption radio interview.
Disagree. Don't overlook his wife/family role in decision making.
By Jonathan Carone
It's my turn babe. I have loved you and you have loved me and we have compromised, both of us...for your job. And now it's time to talk about doing that for my job.
That quote from Tami Taylor is the scenario for how Freeze stays here a long time.

Regardless of if he’s here one year or 20, we are going to have a fun team to watch. So let’s enjoy it while we have it, however long that is.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:

Alex Jones posting of flamefans. :roll: He was in TN recruiting. Christian Harris in Chattanooga among others.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I can't see him leaving LU for Vandy.

Coach Freeze is very busy on this "road trip", recruiting, speaking engagements, etc. all while running the program. That's probably why he had someone else to release Brown. He just happened to make decision while he was on the road.

(Relayed to me this evening by a confidential source)
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If Vandy offered him the head coaching gig there is no way he wouldn't take it but i dont think they will offer it to him.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
It's my turn babe. I have loved you and you have loved me and we have compromised, both of us...for your job. And now it's time to talk about doing that for my job.
That quote from Tami Taylor is the scenario for how Freeze stays here a long time.

Regardless of if he’s here one year or 20, we are going to have a fun team to watch. So let’s enjoy it while we have it, however long that is.
Agreed. I'm going to enjoy the ride. I just can't quite understand why people think we are somehow immune to the reality all G5 programs must face if they find success. That reality is your coach will leave for bigger and better things.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:If Vandy offered him the head coaching gig there is no way he wouldn't take it but i dont think they will offer it to him.
I’m going to disagree with you on that first part. IF his long term goal is to make an SEC return he will be able to do better than Vandy by staying at LU
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
There is a certain cow pasture school down in Auburn, AL that may come knocking first fellas and I for one would never ever ever want Freeze to leave us for them, but it is the SEC.
By gerb
Insight on strength coach philosophy. Start at 7:57.

"Like to produce a very fast, violent football team"

[youtube]X6s48hL7pMA[/youtube]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]