If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good post RubberMallet.

Several years ago I was at a Middle School. The physical education class was playing shuffle board or something like that. I stopped and asked the teacher why they were not playing softball ? She replied, "somebody might get hurt". Team sports are not taught in elementary, middle and even high schools like they were when I was there. When I was in school, we played whatever sport was in season, every day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Sociologists will tell you that the #1 problem with Sport today is the decline and vanishing of Play.
drive around sometime in the spring and summer and you notice a few things. The first that there are no kids playing pickup games of baseball or football at parks...basketball courts sit for the most part empty. That is a symptom of multiple things i believe.

the First obviously (but i say is the lesser of all reasons) is the "video game" excuse. but it hink its more screen time not necessarily video games. we had nintendo/supernintendo/genesis back then too.

the 2nd is that many of the fields that i grew up playing on is now maintained by the local HEAT/VIPERS/ETC ETC traveling teams and are off limits to just playing on.

which leads me to the 3rd. Kids don't have time to just enjoy casually the game they play during that season. the season is 365 now. I have a good number of buddies who teach baseball stuff as individual trainers. they are BOOKED solid all the time. Last year we wanted to rent an indoor hitting facility to hit some bp for our mens slowpitch league. all booked solid for weeks. And there are like 20 of them in old warehouses that didn't exist 20years ago. when a kid has downtime, do you think they want to do more o that at the park with their friends? no.

I was helping in sunday school with children and there were some 10 yr old boys talking about baseball and i joined in the discussion and asked if they every played home run derby. they werelike you mean like the mlb home run derby. i said yeah like by yourselves, got he park and see who can hit the most hr's. and they looked at me like i was crazy. i was just like Stupid Hose is going on.

We've taken the fun out of the sport in a way. everything is about that eventual highlight reel they'll need to get into college. its about getting those scholarship offers when they are in jr high. its about selling kids (moreso parents) on buying that lottery ticket because the odds are great (they aren't) of winning.

my best friend is the president of the local little league and his kids is in his last year and he's done. he's taken 3 kids through it and what its become or how crippled little league is due to aau/private travel ball teams is bad.[/quote]

My point exactly
A large portion of kids not playing is also the fact that parents won’t let their kids go off on their own. It was nothing for me to ride my bike two miles to the park and hang out there most the day. That doesn’t happen today.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
thats another great point. when reality is that abductions aren't happening at a higher rate we just know about every abduction now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:We talked 8 miles to play ball 3 times a week.
I’m sure you did.

(A slip to be sure, but also surely a Freudian one.)
He meant he talked the entire 8 miles
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The NCAA granted Fields a waiver to play immediately at Ohio State.

I hope someone beats him out for starting job.
What about the transfers that came to LU?
By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:The NCAA granted Fields a waiver to play immediately at Ohio State.

I hope someone beats him out for starting job.
What about the transfers that came to LU?
Those Benedit Arnolds and Chelsea Mannings
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
it changes the landscape of college football. on one hand, i have no issue with it. everyone else in college athletics is capable of doing it why shouldn't the players. for a few college football is a means to an end to get to the nfl. why hamstring them to have to wait for a chance to play and get on draft boards. For most, they just want to play. Let them go somewhere they can.

Some might think this only helps the haves but i disagree. I think a school like clemson or alabama would have a much harder time holding onto 5 stars who could transfer and play immediately.

I think there should be a limit though. you get 1 free pass. so make it count.

The NCAA this year had a off season. i'm sure they loved it.
RubberMallet wrote:it changes the landscape of college football. on one hand, i have no issue with it. everyone else in college athletics is capable of doing it why shouldn't the players. for a few college football is a means to an end to get to the nfl. why hamstring them to have to wait for a chance to play and get on draft boards. For most, they just want to play. Let them go somewhere they can.

Some might think this only helps the haves but i disagree. I think a school like clemson or alabama would have a much harder time holding onto 5 stars who could transfer and play immediately.

I think there should be a limit though. you get 1 free pass. so make it count.

The NCAA this year had a off season. i'm sure they loved it.
I agree. I think allowing a single transfer gets the best players starting across the landscape of college football. Assuming that rating equates to talent, allowing transfers puts top tier players that get buried in depth charts starting at "lower tier" schools. Theoretically that should help bridge the talent gap if it's without penalty.

I would even be okay if the penalty remained but was reduced to 4 games versus the entire season.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Transfers are not good in college (or high school), nor is free agency in the professional ranks.

I have seen high school basketball players play at 4 schools in 4 years. I have seen high school football coaches leave one school and go to another, and take the QB with him. More of this crap takes place in high school that most realize.

Transfers should only be granted in "extreme hardship" cases. getting benched is not a hardship.
ballcoach15 wrote:Transfers are not good in college (or high school), nor is free agency in the professional ranks.

I have seen high school basketball players play at 4 schools in 4 years. I have seen high school football coaches leave one school and go to another, and take the QB with him. More of this crap takes place in high school that most realize.

Transfers should only be granted in "extreme hardship" cases. getting benched is not a hardship.
None of that is a why though. First off, free agency is a fundamental concept in professional sports in a capitalist society. You can take off the babushka now.

Give us a WHY though. Do you believe that collegiate transfers will make it easier for schools to tamper? Do you think the product on the field will get worse? Is it based solely on the antiquated idea that the players owe it to the school just because they chose them out of high school?

Have you never changed employers to get paid better?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You expect ballcoach to give you a ‘why’? Aren’t you cute. He obviously has no problem with transfers coming to Liberty so there is no intellectual honesty in any thought process there anyways
And if he wants to talk HS sports....well we have unfortunately seen how woefully uninformed he is on that topic
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Transfers lead to unethical and illegal "recruiting". Not to mention the transfer players taking "team" secrets to another team.

PH, as for HS sports, I will match anyone on knowledge of HS sports. Now, granted I don't follow them as close as I once did. Majority of my focus is now on college softball & football.
ballcoach15 wrote:Transfers lead to unethical and illegal "recruiting". Not to mention the transfer players taking "team" secrets to another team.
Will opening the transfer market cause people that are not currently engaging in unethical or illegal recruiting to begin to?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Transfers lead to unethical and illegal "recruiting". Not to mention the transfer players taking "team" secrets to another team.
Will opening the transfer market cause people that are not currently engaging in unethical or illegal recruiting to begin to?
Obviously LU already is since LU has transfers
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts

PH, as for HS sports, I will match anyone on knowledge of HS sports. Now, granted I don't follow them as close as I once did. Majority of my focus is now on college softball & football.
Once again you prove you are #Legend in His Own Mind

Your statement is totally without factual basis, and quite frankly, reeks of paranoia. Under the NCAA rules, all a player has to do is declare their interest in transferring by applying to enter the transfer "portal" and they can be recruited by other schools. It is TOTALLY LEGAL. The idea that there are widespread efforts to entice athletes to leave other schools and transfer prior to their applying for it is just bogus. I defy you to give me even ONE example. There simply is no significant reason to do it. "Team secrets"? You've got to be kidding, right? Never mind, of course you aren't. :roll:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Transfers are not good in college (or high school), nor is free agency in the professional ranks.

You are such a contractiction.

You hate the NCAA but love all of their asinine rules.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There has NEVER been a requirement that a player must have a hardship in order to transfer....NEVER. It only becomes a factor in determining whether they can play immediately or must sit a year.
LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]