The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Vague enough where it would be nearly impossible to be wrong. Bold.
What's the old saying ? "run with the big dogs or stay under the porch" (or something like that)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Doesn’t LU CURRENTLY have a WBB HC with P5 experience?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Doesn’t LU CURRENTLY have a WBB HC with P5 experience?

Yes, Clemson University (Assistant Coach)
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote:

I believe that Assistant coach has moved on mut we do have another assistant who also played in the WNBA (she played on a rival high school years ago up in NOVA).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Are you talking about Moncia Wright ? I saw her play in high school. (and at UVA).

She had a beautiful jump shot. I went to a game at UVA once, just to watch her play. Only game I have ever attended in John Paul Jones' place.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:

I believe that Assistant coach has moved on mut we do have another assistant who also played in the WNBA (she played on a rival high school years ago up in NOVA).
Carey Green was an assistant at Clemson before coming to the mountain.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Considering the fact that at least 3/4 of the viable candidates for a job like this would likely be P5 assistants, ballcoach is not exactly going out on a limb. A highly successful G5 HC who is looking for more $ and/or is attracted to the school's mission would be another possibility.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Considering the fact that at least 3/4 of the viable candidates for a job like this would likely be P5 assistants, ballcoach is not exactly going out on a limb. A highly successful G5 HC who is looking for more $ and/or is attracted to the school's mission would be another possibility.
Very true, But We need a "home run" hire.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Considering the fact that at least 3/4 of the viable candidates for a job like this would likely be P5 assistants, ballcoach is not exactly going out on a limb. A highly successful G5 HC who is looking for more $ and/or is attracted to the school's mission would be another possibility.
That’s why I pointed out the CURRENT head coach falls under those parameters. So to think they go that route again isn’t a shocker.
I’m always a guy like your second scenario. But I don’t make the decisions
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
There's a coach in the Big South that turned around a fellow in-state program around that would be interested and he would be a home run hire but that's just my opinion.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
That’s why I pointed out the CURRENT head coach falls under those parameters. So to think they go that route again isn’t a shocker.
I’m always a guy like your second scenario. But I don’t make the decisions
Yeah, you have been pretty clear where you stand on that. FYI, Green ranks 18th in winning % among current D1 HCs. 7 of the coaches with better records are with non P5 schools. Topping that list is Karl Smesko of FGCU, who has an .810 winning %, trailing only Auriemma, Mulkey and VanDermeer.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketb ... aching.pdf
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:There's a coach in the Big South that turned around a fellow in-state program around
I think the Big South is in LU's rear view mirror. I don't see us going there for HCs. :nono
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ballah09 wrote:There's a coach in the Big South that turned around a fellow in-state program around
I think the Big South is in LU's rear view mirror. I don't see us going there for HCs. :nono
Right don't go after the coach whose program just surpassed you only because they play in a conference that we think we're too good for. The arrogance :roll:

BTW CJ I'm referencing Mike McGuire. Wins games against p5 teams and won a couple games in the NIT. Turned Radford from a doormat into a solid mid major program.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
With all due respect Ballah, you do know that Liberty went 8-2 against Radford in the 10 meetings between the two over Coach Mcguire's 5 seasons prior to LU joining.the ASUN this season? That isn't to say that if the two met this year the results might be different, but the Highs didnt quite surpass the Flames before their departure. Have we taken a major step back this year? Most assuredly. Has Radford surpassed us long term? Hard to say definitively since we won't face off again except for the odd non-conference game...and even if/when HCCG does end his time as head coach, he won't have another chance to truly prove that Radford has passed Liberty where it matters...on the court.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Radford has indeed passed us by. With all due respect
FTFY (sorry...that sort of thing grates me so much)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Mike McGuire can flat out COACH. Very good staff as a whole. I’d be a little surprised if he was interested in LU. But if he wins Big South this year, his process there is complete, so he’d be ready for a new one. LU has better $$$, better facilities, more staff, etc.

Radford has not surpassed Liberty as a program. A 1-year regression by LU is what we’re seeing. And it could very well turn into more than an anomaly. But LU was in the NCAA Tournament last year. When did Radford last appear?

ASUN is absolutely a better women’s conference than Big South.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. LU WBB has taken a big step up in terms of conference competition
By Jonathan Carone
Here’s a question for you:

If I said you had to bet a significant amount of money one way or the other, would you bet that Carey will win an ASun title at some point or will never win an ASun title?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Mike McGuire can flat out COACH. Very good staff as a whole. I’d be a little surprised if he was interested in LU. But if he wins Big South this year, his process there is complete, so he’d be ready for a new one. LU has better $$$, better facilities, more staff, etc.

Radford has not surpassed Liberty as a program. A 1-year regression by LU is what we’re seeing. And it could very well turn into more than an anomaly. But LU was in the NCAA Tournament last year. When did Radford last appear?

I don't view this as a 1 year regression so I guess that is why it appears to me that Radford has surpassed us
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
JK37 wrote:Mike McGuire can flat out COACH. Very good staff as a whole. I’d be a little surprised if he was interested in LU. But if he wins Big South this year, his process there is complete, so he’d be ready for a new one. LU has better $$$, better facilities, more staff, etc.

I don't view this as a 1 year regression so I guess that is why it appears to me that Radford has surpassed us
Fair enough. What do you view it as?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Here’s a question for you:

If I said you had to bet a significant amount of money one way or the other, would you bet that Carey will win an ASun title at some point or will never win an ASun title?
I don't know if your question was for the board or aimed at someone in particular, but my bet would be no as long as Smesko is at FGCU.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]