If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Waiting for Ballcoach to respond to this one...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Waiting for Ballcoach to respond to this one...

The dumbest person in the country should know Fields is transferring because he is #2 on depth chart at Georgia. Even the NCAA knows this.
Baseball has nothing to do with this transfer. Zero.
I hope he has to sit out a year, and never sees the field for Ohio State. Anyone who transfers from SEC to Big 10 isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
if he wins with that poor of an argument, this will open the floodgates. shea won because of documented violations by Liberty's new HC. and it apparently was only by slim margins that he did.

what will be interesting is that Tate Martell is legit. There is no guarantee that fields will be the starter at OSU either.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That is true, but Drew Brees is an example of a "shorter" quarterback who can be successful at the NFL level. If Martell wins the job, he will need to show an elite level of accuracy to see that to fruition though
brees was a prostyle qb at purdue. martell is not. he doesn't have the arm accuracy anywhere close to that or haskins. not saying it can't develop but if he's drafted, its for something other than QB in my opinion.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
FBS football is reaching the point to where it's no longer signing a high school QB and coaching him up for 3 or 4 years. With all these transfers, it's becoming:

Rent-A-Quarterback
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:College football has also reached the point where many WB’s come already “coached up”. Just look at who the best QB on the field was Monday night.

WB's ? Do you mean QB's ?

Freshmen QBs do come more prepared now than in the past.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:New coach must have let him know that this won’t be an open competition.
thats the speculation. on 11warriors (the big OSU forum) they are freaking out because many don't believe that fields will get his appeal approved. But others are like, this wouldn't of happened if they didn't know for sure but Martell has been a loudmouth through this entire process.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
JK37 wrote:College football has also reached the point where many WB’s come already “coached up”. Just look at who the best QB on the field was Monday night.

WB's ? Do you mean QB's ?

Freshmen QBs do come more prepared now than in the past.
Yes, meant QB’s. Thanks for clearing that up BC.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
And looks like Austin Kendall at OU is possibly headed to tbe transfer portal (if he isnt in it already)
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:All these transfers remind me of elementary school playground where we "chose up" and played at recess every day. Different teams every day.
And, we have not even addressed coaching carousels

Bidness is bidness
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:All these transfers remind me of elementary school playground where we "chose up" and played at recess every day. Different teams every day.
Sociologists will tell you that the #1 problem with Sport today is the decline and vanishing of Play.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
while i think this isn't good, i think the NCAA doesn't care about this at all. It keeps them in headlines and allowing players more freedom in this regard may allow them to shed the "pay them" criticism somewhat. at least allow them to kick the can down the road.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Sociologists will tell you that the #1 problem with Sport today is the decline and vanishing of Play.
I have always maintained that all sports, this side of Professional ranks (MLB, NFL, NBA) should be about playing the sport and trying to win championships............................not $$$$$$$$$.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
How well I know. It's even getting that way here in the 3rd world. I have daily interactions with about a dozen kids between the ages of 2 and 14. They love to play............. video games. I did manage to find something they actually like to actively play with. Bought 3 nerf guns and 100 foam darts for about 25 bucks on Amazon as Christmas presents. They love it, but after about 20 minutes it's back to the tablet, laptop and cellphone. I try to set time limits, but it's tough. I've already told my son that in a couple of years when he is old enough he is going to baseball school in the afternoon after he finishes class. He seems to like the idea right now. We'll see.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
How well I know. It's even getting that way here in the 3rd world. I have daily interactions with about a dozen kids between the ages of 2 and 14. They love to play............. video games. I did manage to find something they actually like to actively play with. Bought 3 nerf guns and 100 foam darts for about 25 bucks on Amazon as Christmas presents. They love it, but after about 20 minutes it's back to the tablet, laptop and cellphone. I try to set time limits, but it's tough. I've already told my son that in a couple of years when he is old enough he is going to baseball school in the afternoon after he finishes class. He seems to like the idea right now. We'll see.
Well you are closer in understanding than ballcoach unsurprisingly. We no longer allow kids to just Play. It has to be organized with rules, score and championships. There is plenty of time for that but the idea of Sport has filtered so far down into Youth Activities it’s sad. With your 3 nerf guns and 100 nerf darts you did more for those kids at that age then setting up a double elimination round robin tournament
By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote:Well you are closer in understanding than ballcoach unsurprisingly. We no longer allow kids to just Play. It has to be organized with rules, score and championships. There is plenty of time for that but the idea of Sport has filtered so far down into Youth Activities it’s sad. With your 3 nerf guns and 100 nerf darts you did more for those kids at that age then setting up a double elimination round robin tournament
#Strong
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
[/quote]

drive around sometime in the spring and summer and you notice a few things. The first that there are no kids playing pickup games of baseball or football at parks...basketball courts sit for the most part empty. That is a symptom of multiple things i believe.

the First obviously (but i say is the lesser of all reasons) is the "video game" excuse. but it hink its more screen time not necessarily video games. we had nintendo/supernintendo/genesis back then too.

the 2nd is that many of the fields that i grew up playing on is now maintained by the local HEAT/VIPERS/ETC ETC traveling teams and are off limits to just playing on.

which leads me to the 3rd. Kids don't have time to just enjoy casually the game they play during that season. the season is 365 now. I have a good number of buddies who teach baseball stuff as individual trainers. they are BOOKED solid all the time. Last year we wanted to rent an indoor hitting facility to hit some bp for our mens slowpitch league. all booked solid for weeks. And there are like 20 of them in old warehouses that didn't exist 20years ago. when a kid has downtime, do you think they want to do more o that at the park with their friends? no.

I was helping in sunday school with children and there were some 10 yr old boys talking about baseball and i joined in the discussion and asked if they every played home run derby. they werelike you mean like the mlb home run derby. i said yeah like by yourselves, got he park and see who can hit the most hr's. and they looked at me like i was crazy. i was just like wtf is going on.

We've taken the fun out of the sport in a way. everything is about that eventual highlight reel they'll need to get into college. its about getting those scholarship offers when they are in jr high. its about selling kids (moreso parents) on buying that lottery ticket because the odds are great (they aren't) of winning.

my best friend is the president of the local little league and his kids is in his last year and he's done. he's taken 3 kids through it and what its become or how crippled little league is due to aau/private travel ball teams is bad.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]