This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ElmersTwin
Yacht Rock wrote:https://wset.com/news/local/post-about- ... rent-final
"The city, however, said it's exciting to see companies who want to invest in Lynchburg, which could lead to 'safer' traffic conditions.

Up til now, there's not a single cross walk on Timberlake," Perault said. "These kind of initiatives will help spearhead improvements along Timberlake road and make traffic better."

Classic. Let's re-develop the roads after everything's in place.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Rose dale won’t happen, at least not in the next ten years. CFA lot is directly beside Aldi.
Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I also heard that there will be another Chick Fil A alongside the sheetz and residential units going up on timberlake across from kroger. Along with wards and the mall, Lee will oversee the old forest road one, and someone else will be operating the timerlake location. Can anyone confirm the timberlake location?
I think that is more of a "we are trying to get..." than a done deal. There have been no plans or certifications for Timberlake. The development was just approved by planning and has yet to be seen by city council. The developer only mentioned Sheetz by name.
By Class of 20Something
For the people that can't understand congestion.

You are not in traffic. You ARE traffic.

I'm just going to name a few projects that have been done, you all tell me if the way traffic moves through these areas is sufficient.

501 and Timberlake/Wards Ferry/Logan's Lane
-Project included a roundabout and two lanes crossing Timberlake to Wards Ferry.

Atlanta Avenue
-Roundabout behind Sam's Club adjacent to Barnes and Noble.

460 and Odd Fellows Road
-Highway offramps, large roundabout at post office and DMV.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:For the people that can't understand congestion.

You are not in traffic. You ARE traffic.

I'm just going to name a few projects that have been done, you all tell me if the way traffic moves through these areas is sufficient.

501 and Timberlake/Wards Ferry/Logan's Lane
-Project included a roundabout and two lanes crossing Timberlake to Wards Ferry.

Atlanta Avenue
-Roundabout behind Sam's Club adjacent to Barnes and Noble.

460 and Odd Fellows Road
-Highway offramps, large roundabout at post office and DMV.

1. This was long overdue. A bit confusing right now coming off 501 south, but it's a much better intersection once people get used to it.

2. Works well, despite being the most hideous roundabout I've ever seen.

3. Also long overdue. Used to work over there and never had a problem with the DMV intersection, so not sure why the roundabout was necessary. It's a mess right now since Odd Fellows is closed at FedEx while they work on the bridge.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I love the Sam’s Club roundabout.
That was brilliant
By LUAlum1215
Heard this week that two of the new establishments heading for River Ridge may include Dave and Buster’s and Cheesecake Factory. Not sure of a timeline.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I know you don't post unless you have a respectable source.

Both of those would be huge additions.
I thought with the College presence Dave and Busters would do well here
By UVALibertyFan
Registration Days Posts
It would absolutely shock me to see either of those in Lynchburg. I don't think the demographics support either of those businesses yet.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Same here. I’m very surprised to hear about either one of those coming in, let alone both.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Same here. I’m very surprised to hear about either one of those coming in, let alone both.
Neither will happen...well who knows. Since we have all the skrilla in the world to throw around, maybe Jerry wants to subsidize them. That being said, there isn't a shred of evidence that anything will happen at the mall in the near future. There have now been at least three major announcements over the last few years about what Liberty will be doing and about how exciting it will be.
By Class of 20Something
rogers3 wrote:
JK37 wrote:Same here. I’m very surprised to hear about either one of those coming in, let alone both.
Neither will happen...well who knows. Since we have all the skrilla in the world to throw around, maybe Jerry wants to subsidize them. That being said, there isn't a shred of evidence that anything will happen at the mall in the near future. There have now been at least three major announcements over the last few years about what Liberty will be doing and about how exciting it will be.
Well the mall has officially rebranded with a new logo and some of the old signs are being torn down. Remaining Liberty employees in the mall have been told they are moving in the 6 month time frame. The change is coming,
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Well the mall has officially rebranded with a new logo and some of the old signs are being torn down.
Will it have a new name or just new logo? "Liberty Mall" has a nice ring to it. :idea:
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Well the mall has officially rebranded with a new logo and some of the old signs are being torn down.
Will it have a new name or just new logo? "Liberty Mall" has a nice ring to it. :idea:
It's still River Ridge but the logo just has sharper Rs. No curly frills.
By rhezick
rogers3 wrote:
Didn't LU discuss that they've entered into talks with 5 new stores just a few months ago?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:Heard this week that two of the new establishments heading for River Ridge may include Dave and Buster’s and Cheesecake Factory. Not sure of a timeline.
This has been discussed widely on Facebook on the "Living in Lynchburg" page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LivingInLynchburg/
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
Didn't LU discuss that they've entered into talks with 5 new stores just a few months ago?
They have discussed a lot in the years since acquiring the Sears location. When LU bought the Macy's store, they had a retailer that was going to be really exciting to local shoppers. Almost two years, and no movement. Purchased majority of the mall in 2016, Sears in 2013. They were talking some big ideas back in 2013, as well. Hopefully, things will begin to happen; the Kmart to Hobby Lobby deal went pretty quickly and LU stands to add substantial value to the portfolio if redevelopment happens.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Understandably so. But in their defense, the last couple of years have not been a terrific time to be pushing retail space in malls. One iconic brand after enough is cutting its losses.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
It certainly takes a lot of vision and creativity to adjust some of these spaces to the changing market needs. It will be interesting to see how some of these areas develop over the next several years.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I have my theories as to how to make this market stronger than it is now. There is a reason that Charlottesville has a more dynamic retail sector, and it isn't because it is a large metropolitan area. It is driven by personal earnings.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]