Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
R i wrote:Ok, Jury is still out on Kiffin.

Can we name any other reclamation project coach that has had success ?
What about reclamation AD?
Fair. But we arent hiring an AD currently. We have seen that it can work out positively. Im not aware of how a HC can be successful after being labeled a cheater.
ballcoach15 wrote:Some words of one of my favorite songs:

I'll fly away, oh glory
I'll fly away in the morning

Is ballcoach trying to say we met with freeze yesterday, but he chose to fly back home today??? I have no idea how to decipher these things.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think you're right to be cautious because of the recruiting violations. That's a legitimate concern.

I think it's a stretch but somewhat legitimate to be cautious based on his record his last two years.

I don't think it's factual to call him a bust at Ole Miss.
2 conference wins in last season. That is horrible even in the SEC.
R i wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
R i wrote:Ok, Jury is still out on Kiffin.

Can we name any other reclamation project coach that has had success ?
What about reclamation AD?
Fair. But we arent hiring an AD currently. We have seen that it can work out positively. Im not aware of how a HC can be successful after being labeled a cheater.
Prepare to observe.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

If that's true and if he chooses Liberty, that does two things:

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.
I remember saying things like this 2 years ago and some folks didn't agree (a couple called me crazy and drinking too much kool aid).

Well it is great that we are even in this position and I knew it didn't need to take 2+ decades to get to a point like this. It may not be what a lot of folks were hoping for, but this not different from the McCaw hiring as our AD. It's good to be flame!
There's still a great chance Freeze goes to Alabama and we're left with our 3rd, 4th, or 5th option and we're still on that conservative timeline so I'd start stretching before you try to pat yourself on the back like that.
This wasn't suppose to be a 'pat myself on the back' moment. It was more of a 'don't underestimate the school's connections based on the fact we are not a "grandfather" institution' moment.
jimflamesfan wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Some words of one of my favorite songs:

I'll fly away, oh glory
I'll fly away in the morning

Is ballcoach trying to say we met with freeze yesterday, but he chose to fly back home today??? I have no idea how to decipher these things.

When in the Army I was good at OPSEC and Codes. Haven't lost my touch.
A lot of the Freeze to Bama is built on speculation fro 2 things. 1.Bama is now in need of an OC. 2. Bama tried to get him last year and was denied. The Bama sites that I have been to that are respectable talk of Freeze as being a candidate but nothing more than that. Matter of fact, Dan Ennos is the one who many think will move into that role. Saban does like to promote from inside the program. Aka, Tosh Lupoi as the most recent.

Tennessee is out of the picture and Auburn's situation is hilarious. Why would anyone want to go to that dumpster fire. Ofcourse I am a Bama fan so what else could I say :D

If Tyler Falwell's tweets last night have any merit to them then today or tomorrow could be very very interesting. This would no doubt be a program changing hire.
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think you're right to be cautious because of the recruiting violations. That's a legitimate concern.

I think it's a stretch but somewhat legitimate to be cautious based on his record his last two years.

I don't think it's factual to call him a bust at Ole Miss.
2 conference wins in last season. That is horrible even in the SEC.
He lost seven games. Five of them were to teams ranked 4, 1, 22, 25, and 15. He beat teams ranked 10 and 12 that year.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I am warming up to it. Reward out weigh the risks for me at this point.

Cons
1) Bad PR and fans dis engaging. This isnt a huge risk because Hugh is a charismatic likable guy, and I would anticipate the national media would feed on it for a few days and be done.

2) Leaves the program in NCAA Violation death penalty state, in a crucial time of program history. Hopefully hes learned how to avoid these violations.

3) Can he win without recruiting violations ? Arkansas State record says that he can.

Pros

1) Will inspire and ignite the fan base and community causing better attendance and more fan engagement financially.

2) Other schools are interested in him for high level positions. To me that made me feel a lot better about the negative PR and his ability to coach.

3) Offense will be exciting and make for a good game day atmosphere

4) Recruiting, we will now have a legitimacy to our program and there is no doubt Freeze can recruit and inspire young people and their families.

5) We blast through a transition phase of being ranked anywhere from 80 to 120 , and most likely go to top 50 within a short period of time.
The violations are still my biggest hold up. The way I'd convince myself it's not a huge deal is by pointing to Ole Miss doing this before and after him and us not having the boosters they do. I think that's actually a legitimate point but I'm at least telling myself it is.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.

This was my take yesterday.
Liberty22 wrote:You know this is a unique position especially regarding Freeze. With his past, this could be a place he wants to stay the rest of his career. He’d be a head coach at a school that could schedule like a p5 if they want. He could be really successful or even 7-8 wins a year successful and leadership would love it without the pressures of National Championships or else. It also has the faith community he and his wife seem to cherish now. You just never know, this could be his dream job now due to his circumstances and where he appears to be with the Lord.
[/quote]
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The violations are still my biggest hold up. The way I'd convince myself it's not a huge deal is by pointing to Ole Miss doing this before and after him and us not having the boosters they do. I think that's actually a legitimate point but I'm at least telling myself it is.
There are 2 more reasons I would not be overly concerned about recruiting indescretions going forward.

1. He will be coming into an overall Liberty athletic culture which, while not perfect, has been about as squeaky clean as
you can get in that regard. It´s just not what we do, and if he finds himself tempted, he should be smart enough to
realize that.

2. Ian McCaw
oldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The violations are still my biggest hold up. The way I'd convince myself it's not a huge deal is by pointing to Ole Miss doing this before and after him and us not having the boosters they do. I think that's actually a legitimate point but I'm at least telling myself it is.
There are 2 more reasons I would not be overly concerned about recruiting indescretions going forward.

1. He will be coming into an overall Liberty athletic culture which, while not perfect, has been about as squeaky clean as
you can get in that regard. It´s just not what we do, and if he finds himself tempted, he should be smart enough to
realize that.

2. Ian McCaw
Exactly. Ian cannot have anything that resembles a scandal here. His reputation cannot recover from it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts

Dropping a JB reference. I like it! :clapping
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]