Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I think he is being hopeful. I don't know him personally or anything but when he use to post here regularly he was always a fan of the big splash kind of hires.

bigsmooth, I actually think most people feel the same way as you do.

But I am perfect, thanks for realizing this fact ;)
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
All that to say, I truly hope that Ian and Liberty, if they decide to hire Freeze, go clear out of the way to keep the football program above board and beyond reproach. Show that we can be gracious without being foolish and I'll support the decision.
Same
I also think there’s some ignorance there too from many of the haters. Most people who write it off completely haven’t taken the time to watch the convo talk to even hear the story in his words. They’re basing opinions off the allegations and rumors and not the man himself.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Name one reclamation project coach that has been successful. One that was fired for serious scandal and or NCAA Violations of the highest grade, sat out some time, and came back as a HC in the FBS and was successful.

Lane Kiffen, Butch Davis, Bobby Petrino, those are some guys that have flopped.

FBS coaching and recruiting feels like it just doesn't work the same after a coach has been labeled a cheater by the NCAA.

I want to go on record and say , I could care less about who he had sex with, and how many hookers he called, my resistance is due to the fact that Im not sure he can lead our program to the Promise Land.

He had a mediocre record at Ole Miss, winning 2 conference games in his last season, and this would be a reclamation project HC and I dont know of those working out too many times.
R i wrote:Name one reclamation project coach that has been successful. One that was fired for serious scandal and or NCAA Violations of the highest grade, sat out some time, and came back as a HC in the FBS and was successful.

Lane Kiffen, Butch Davis, Bobby Petrino, those are some guys that have flopped.

FBS coaching and recruiting feels like it just doesn't work the same after a coach has been labeled a cheater by the NCAA.

I want to go on record and say , I could care less about who he had sex with, and how many hookers he called, my resistance is due to the fact that Im not sure he can lead our program to the Promise Land.

He had a mediocre record at Ole Miss, winning 2 conference games in his last season, and this would be a reclamation project HC and I dont know of those working out too many times.
Now that would be a legitimate criticism. The counter to that would be, if he is so bad, why is he such a hot commodity at the moment?

Edit: also Lane Kiffin has done pretty well
R i wrote:He had a mediocre record at Ole Miss, winning 2 conference games in his last season, and this would be a reclamation project HC and I dont know of those working out too many times.
For a guy who was the most adamant supporter of our former mediocre coach, focusing on Freeze's record in the hardest division in college football seems like a pretty hypocritical position to take.

I also don't think you can call Kiffin a flop yet. Not to mention Butch Davis is 16-9 at FIU.

One thing I think we take for granted is the level of outside influence at a place like Liberty vs a major P5 program. We don't have boosters trying to influence everything a coach does like the high level P5 teams do.

As for Freeze's recruiting violations: they concern me as well. The thing I'm trying to balance is how much of that was Hugh Freeze and how much of it was Ole Miss? The violations started before he got there. Ole Miss has always been accused of cheating. Was it an Ole Miss boosters thing or was it an intentional Hugh Freeze thing? I don't know the answer to that question so I can't accurately form an opinion on his violations.
The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

If that's true and if he chooses Liberty, that does two things:

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
R i wrote:He had a mediocre record at Ole Miss, winning 2 conference games in his last season, and this would be a reclamation project HC and I dont know of those working out too many times.
For a guy who was the most adamant supporter of our former mediocre coach, focusing on Freeze's record in the hardest division in college football seems like a pretty hypocritical position to take.

I also don't think you can call Kiffin a flop yet. Not to mention Butch Davis is 16-9 at FIU.

One thing I think we take for granted is the level of outside influence at a place like Liberty vs a major P5 program. We don't have boosters trying to influence everything a coach does like the high level P5 teams do.

As for Freeze's recruiting violations: they concern me as well. The thing I'm trying to balance is how much of that was Hugh Freeze and how much of it was Ole Miss? The violations started before he got there. Ole Miss has always been accused of cheating. Was it an Ole Miss boosters thing or was it an intentional Hugh Freeze thing? I don't know the answer to that question so I can't accurately form an opinion on his violations.
Boosters?! I'm a Flames Club member at the Eagle level! They better hire who I say!
Just John wrote:I wasn't a big fan of Freeze until I read Damien's article that said Gill thought Wimberly was the best man to be the next HC at Liberty.

I'm ALL IN on Freeze!
All I can say is that if Gill actually believes that, it´s a good thing he retired.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Huge difference between being and adamant supporter of the coach, and hoping for success of the team. If Freeze is hired, I will support him as well, bc I support LU athletics.

How can you say I was an adamant supporter of Gill ? I just called you out a few times for constantly being negative despite beating Troy and ODU.

#GettingFiredUpBeforeTheFreeze
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.
Agreed. I will add some wild speculation to number 2, maybe his wife is more comfortable at LU after being publicly humiliated at the highest level in the SEC. So even if Freeze knows Bama is the better spot for his career, he may take LU to appease his wife.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Butch Davis - Ill need to research how he ended career in Miami into UNC bc that is the flop I was referencing. (FIU record isnt success yet)

Kiffen - Its a flop. Hes not doing anything at FAU.
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

Agreed. I will add some wild speculation to number 2, maybe his wife is more comfortable at LU after being publicly humiliated at the highest level in the SEC. So even if Freeze knows Bama is the better spot for his career, he may take LU to appease his wife.
I think “appease” might not be the correct word but you bring up a GREAT point. No one has talked much about his wife Maybe his wife isn’t ready for the microscope on the family they will get at a P5 school like Alabama. It will be brutal and constant. Definitely put a strain on the relationship. At LU it will all be rehashed early but then people will move on. You won’t see signs at games bringing it up all the time.

Why am I not on the team trying to convince Freeze to chose LU :dontgetit :lol:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Kiffin won ten games his first year. I don't see how you call him a flop already.
They also signed him to a long term contract because he is getting looks again from P5 schools. Watch Michigan if Harbaugh goes to the Packers
Jonathan Carone wrote:Kiffin won ten games his first year. I don't see how you call him a flop already.
11, including the C-USA title and a bowl game...point being, he had a downturn in year 2, but 16 wins in two years, a conference title and a bowl game are not a flop by just.about any metric
By R i
Registration Days Posts

Florida Atlantic (Conference USA) (2017–present)
2017 Florida Atlantic 11–3 8–0
2018 Florida Atlantic 5–7 3–5

3-5 in Conference USA in second season, you would be calling him unorganized and avoid going to any games until FAU fired him.

I remember saying things like this 2 years ago and some folks didn't agree (a couple called me crazy and drinking too much kool aid).

Well it is great that we are even in this position and I knew it didn't need to take 2+ decades to get to a point like this. It may not be what a lot of folks were hoping for, but this not different from the McCaw hiring as our AD. It's good to be flame!
I think you're right to be cautious because of the recruiting violations. That's a legitimate concern.

I think it's a stretch but somewhat legitimate to be cautious based on his record his last two years.

I don't think it's factual to call him a bust at Ole Miss.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

I remember saying things like this 2 years ago and some folks didn't agree (a couple called me crazy and drinking too much kool aid).

Well it is great that we are even in this position and I knew it didn't need to take 2+ decades to get to a point like this. It may not be what a lot of folks were hoping for, but this not different from the McCaw hiring as our AD. It's good to be flame!
There's still a great chance Freeze goes to Alabama and we're left with our 3rd, 4th, or 5th option and we're still on that conservative timeline so I'd start stretching before you try to pat yourself on the back like that.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]