If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The two guards we had offered earlier, Talton Jones and Cameron Cohn, have been removed from our verbal commits profile. No big surprise, considering we do not have any scholarships available at present. The fact that the third scholarship went to a forward (Robinson) would seem to indicate that Richie likes what he has seen of both Price and McGhee.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. I like that ritchie is opposite of gill. Hes clear concise and doesnt just give bs answers when the teams struggles like last year during that january stretch.

It seems as though he methodically laid out a plan and has advanced it slightly every year. Did you all notice the gpas of these incoming kids? Wow. So hes improved the character academics and overall talent. Now hes starting to do that with athleticism with mcghee and this class.

Wish getter would have hung around. Thats my only concern now is does he and soucie have enough experience around them. I know getter was well liked by players and families. Hopefully some of the young coaches can grow fast.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
oldflame wrote:Through 4 games this year Rode is averaging 34 points and 12 rebounds.
:shock:
Yeah, he is flat out ballin. Play Basketball If he can come close to maintaining those numbers, we may be looking at Kentucky´s ¨Mr. Basketball¨ in a Liberty uni next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Link to see Rode play tonight against the top rated team and prospect in the state.

His numbers over the first 4 games are even more impressive when you look at the shooting percentages and consider he really doesn´t have much help. He is scoring over half of his teams points.

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
What had been a cinderella season for Kyle Rode and his Lexington Christian teammates hit a major speed bump against number one ranked Scott County. Watched part of the game on line, and it quickly became clear that one of the reasons Kyle has been putting up such huge numbers is that LCA has zero talent other then him. Scott County double teamed him all night and held him under 20 while winning by about 40.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Coach McKay´s son Gabriel, who had announced several months ago he would be joining this recruiting class as a walkon, is instead signing with Trivecca Nazarene this afternoon, where he will play for Omar Mance and have a full scholarship. Smart choice. Playing for your dad is tough, and it often does not work out well. At Liberty, he likely would have only seen the floor at garbage time. He should get to play there, and will be in really good hands with Omar.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For those who have been pondering the possibilities of whether we will pick up another available scholarship for this class in the Spring, here is a tidbit. A player who had been a valuable part of our rotation since his arrival at Liberty DNP (coaches decision) last night, and has played a total of 4 minutes thus far in our 3 ASUN tournament games. Gotta believe he is at least thinking about his options.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:For those who have been pondering the possibilities of whether we will pick up another available scholarship for this class in the Spring, here is a tidbit. A player who had been a valuable part of our rotation since his arrival at Liberty DNP (coaches decision) last night, and has played a total of 4 minutes thus far in our 3 ASUN tournament games. Gotta believe he is at least thinking about his options.
It's only 2 games so far in the tournament. But yeah I agree that McDowell seems to be the odd man out. Would not be surprised to see him go elsewhere for more PT.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
oldflame wrote:For those who have been pondering the possibilities of whether we will pick up another available scholarship for this class in the Spring, here is a tidbit. A player who had been a valuable part of our rotation since his arrival at Liberty DNP (coaches decision) last night, and has played a total of 4 minutes thus far in our 3 ASUN tournament games. Gotta believe he is at least thinking about his options.
It's only 2 games so far in the tournament. But yeah I agree that McDowell seems to be the odd man out. Would not be surprised to see him go elsewhere for more PT.
Another senior moment on the number of tournament games, :oldhag but it is still 4 minutes in his last 3 games, 2 of which he did not play at all.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Here's how little star ratings mean in HS basketball. Kyle Rode, who has 10 offers listed on verbalcommits (and at least 10 more that aren't according to his HS coach) shows as a 2 star player, because the only service that has given him 3 stars is 247, and verbalcommits does not include them in their composite ratings. Lipscomb commit Kaleb Coleman is only rated by ESPN, who gave him 3 stars, despite the fact that both ESPN and VC show Lipscomb as his ONLY offer. Because ESPN, along with Rivals and Scout, is one of the services VC includes, he shows up with a 3 star composite. :roll:
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I’m willing to bet Ritchie will hit up the grad transfer market to replace Cabbil and Gumbs.

You’re right about McDowell. With Preston and Price being eligible and the arrival of Rode and Robinson (Maide being redshirted) I don’t see the minutes for him.
By cruzan_flame13
I have been stating this to folks about a McDowell. I also believe that he will transfer by the end of this semester. Also what’s the update of the player who wasn’t eligible(I can’t think of his name at the moment)?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I have been stating this to folks about a McDowell. I also believe that he will transfer by the end of this semester. Also what’s the update of the player who wasn’t eligible(I can’t think of his name at the moment)?
Why not transfer at the end of the Semester? Seems foolish to waste all those credits that he’s enrolled in. Plus it would play havoc on eligibility. If he’s going to transfer I say he’d wait until the end of the semester. He might state his intentions earlier but it would be stupid to leave at this point
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:I’m willing to bet Ritchie will hit up the grad transfer market to replace Cabbil and Gumbs.

You’re right about McDowell. With Preston and Price being eligible and the arrival of Rode and Robinson (Maide being redshirted) I don’t see the minutes for him.
Cabbil, Gumbs and Farquar have already been replaced. We signed 3 players in November; Kyle Rode, Marten Maide and Shiloh Robinson. If somebody transfers out, I can see us going grad transfer again, although Talton Jones, the guard we offered earlier from NC, is still available, and looks like he could be a virtual plug-and-play replacement for Cabill as a defensive stopper.
Last edited by olldflame on March 8th, 2019, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I have been stating this to folks about a McDowell. I also believe that he will transfer by the end of this semester. Also what’s the update of the player who wasn’t eligible(I can’t think of his name at the moment)?
Why not transfer at the end of the Semester? Seems foolish to waste all those credits that he’s enrolled in. Plus it would play havoc on eligibility. If he’s going to transfer I say he’d wait until the end of the semester. He might state his intentions earlier but it would be stupid to leave at this point
I suspect he meant the intent to transfer would be announced by the end of the semester. Those usually come out in early April.

Tytist Dean, the walk-on guard who has not played this year, is a semi-successful Christian rap artist and while I have no idea why, apparently the $$ he has earned from that has raised some eligibility issues which caused them to not want to take the risk of playing him.
Last edited by olldflame on March 8th, 2019, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]