This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Also add a -------Costco. That would be awesome. Mix in Trader Joes and no need to leave town for most shopping.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote:Yes, see above--near Billy Craft Honda
Thanks. I couldn't tell if you were simply "wishing" or if you had heard something. You are the second person to tell me that. I hope it is true! I would never have to go to C-ville again (except to watch LU!).
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
What’s the difference between Sam’s and Costco? I always use Sam’s for bulk, never been to Costco.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
When we lived in California we belonged to both and preferred Costco in most cases. Roanoke just opened up a second wholesale club store. It’s possible we might be able to support a Costco. I think the thing that hurts us in that area is infrastructure issues (lack of major freeways/interstate in and out of Lynchburg). But I could be wrong. I don’t know what Costco’s supply chain looks like.

I think we definitely have the market for a Trader Joe’s. Fresh Market wouldn’t be happy though.

I still don’t think we have the market yet for a Cheesecake Factory. In Virginia and surrounding states, their locations are either in high income zip codes, surrounded by high income zip codes, or in a location where they can survive of a combination of transient business and the low % of high end locals.

If it were in Lynchburg, based on what I see of their business model, they’d have to be situated in a place convenient to both locals and travelers and I’m not sure 221 is that spot.

Then again, people with more money and more experience than me make those decisions. Real estate development has just always been an interest of mine.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Why would you want a Cheesecake Factory?
People keep floating the idea of one coming every so often. Personally, if we are talking restaurant chains, there are many others I’d rather have.

I will say that there are a ton of great independent restaurants in the area. I think there’s room for both.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Please tell me they're also going to bring in a mattress store and wireless dealer. They're exciting and we don't have enough of those.

Wegman's has been slowly creeping towards our area, I wonder if they'll try to give Kroger some competition in the burg.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Please tell me they're also going to bring in a mattress store and wireless dealer. They're exciting and we don't have enough of those.

Wegman's has been slowly creeping towards our area, I wonder if they'll try to give Kroger some competition in the burg.
Honestly, I’d love to see the River Ridge property turn into a mixed use property with a grocery store, lofts, and options for nightlife.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a mattress from a mattress store, lol.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Traffic will be unbelievable if Billy Craft becomes a mall
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Traffic will be unbelievable if Billy Craft becomes a mall
Yeah, I agree. 221 would need to be greatly improved and Breezewood Dr would need to be improved and likely need an overpass to the other side of 501 along with an additional offramp. The Lakeside/501 Intersection wouldn’t be able to handle it alone.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Traffic will be unbelievable if Billy Craft becomes a mall
Yeah, I agree. 221 would need to be greatly improved and Breezewood Dr would need to be improved and likely need an overpass to the other side of 501 along with an additional offramp. The Lakeside/501 Intersection wouldn’t be able to handle it alone.
Agreed. They should start extending Breezewood NOW to Graves Mill road so there is relief in that direction.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
There are already plans for a new intersection at 221 and OFR, but Breezewood Dr. won't get a second thought unless a developer takes a chance on that crappy proposal on Graves Mill Rd. A new retail development would be advantageous to the city, because it might create enough traffic to warrant state funding for the intersection. As it stands, there hasn't been a clear enough need for improvements. The reality is that our traffic concerns will always take a backseat to Cville's, which will always take a backseat to the larger metros to the north and east.
There has to be a good bit of land aggregation before the land the Billy Craft sits on is developed. Across the street, between Aldi and Wilco- that is already moving forward. The city has already sent a certification letter to Chick-fil-a and plans have been submitted to create a large single parcel out of the group that has been cleared.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:What’s the difference between Sam’s and Costco? I always use Sam’s for bulk, never been to Costco.
Costco is 1000% better. Great meats including US Prime steaks. Good deals on clothing and electronics. Lots of name brands and great house brand.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Kirkland Signature...and oh the Hebrew National hot dogs...although I would usually get the chicken bake
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
They have similar concepts and we have memberships to both. But Costco is always our first choice especially on the grocery side of the store.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Costco’s house brand is incredible.
Truth
By rhezick
rogers3 wrote:There are already plans for a new intersection at 221 and OFR, but Breezewood Dr. won't get a second thought unless a developer takes a chance on that crappy proposal on Graves Mill Rd. A new retail development would be advantageous to the city, because it might create enough traffic to warrant state funding for the intersection. As it stands, there hasn't been a clear enough need for improvements. The reality is that our traffic concerns will always take a backseat to Cville's, which will always take a backseat to the larger metros to the north and east.
There has to be a good bit of land aggregation before the land the Billy Craft sits on is developed. Across the street, between Aldi and Wilco- that is already moving forward. The city has already sent a certification letter to Chick-fil-a and plans have been submitted to create a large single parcel out of the group that has been cleared.
Sorry, can I get some further clarification on two points? You mentioned the proposal on graves mill. I assume your referencing that swath of land that's supposed to be mix use next to bella rose? Any details on when construction will start?

Second and much, much more important, the space next to aldi's that's being cleared is the new CFA? Or is that just hypothetical?
By rhezick
rogers3 wrote:Rose dale won’t happen, at least not in the next ten years. CFA lot is directly beside Aldi.
Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I also heard that there will be another Chick Fil A alongside the sheetz and residential units going up on timberlake across from kroger. Along with wards and the mall, Lee will oversee the old forest road one, and someone else will be operating the timerlake location. Can anyone confirm the timberlake location?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Last I heard the Timberlake location was pure speculation.

I think it was mentioned offhand as a possible benefit of redevelopment of that area but they had to come out later and state that it wasn’t coming. At least that’s what I remember reading and things could certainly could have changed since then.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]