Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach blowing up gills and wimbos comments. What a joke. Anybody buying that garbage let me know. I have some great business deals id like to peddle ha

Seriously those comments are an insult to the intelligence of a fanbase. Total desparation to save jobs. Also tells you gill is gonna go down defending wimbo. It should cost him his job.

Also what are they doing to address it with a pitiful 7 man recruiting class that has exactly 4 def players.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Growing pains is one thing against the likes of Army, North Texas, UVA and Auburn BUT. . . against UMASS :roll: Who we knew had one of the best receivers we would play all season and yet we didn't double cover him is a massive head scratcher. I appreciate Gill's loyalty to his coaches and his desire for Wimbo and the defense to do better, but it seems to me that aside from the pass rush everything else is getting worse. There is nothing wrong, unwise or un-christian about Gill or anyone else for that matter saying we had one of our worst games defensively last week BUT we are trying to do the best we can to fix things because they need to be fixed.

Take a page out of saban's book every once in a while just don't use the words that come out of his mouth :lol:
By Ewglenn
Two numbers I think are relevant to this game:

27) the number of points scored against Louisville which ranks 115th compared to Liberty’s defense that would rank 127th
31) the number of points allowed to Ohio who ranks 25th if you add Liberty’s offense who would be 16th if NCAA listed us
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
So it sounds Like Gill and Wimberly have resigned themselves to the fact that all our defensive woes are due to personnel and until they can recruit better players we will have ups and downs, mostly downs. And those downs are based on whether the players execute or not. Incredible considering they have been the ones recruiting for the past 7 years or so.
By Class of 20Something
Q. Regarding this game, had it been scheduled before you got here, what was your involvement? Who do you know over there? What do you see as the future of this series?
Bronco Mendenhall wrote: Yeah, I think that the game was schedule prior to my arrival. I did not have any involvement in the scheduling from what I recall.

Turner Gill, the head coach, serves on the board of trustees for the AFCA, as do I, and so we’ve gotten to know each on the past number of years. But other than that, there is nothing that I’ve been part of in terms of the game.
Q. Do you like the idea of having an in-state propram like Liberty to play?
Bronco Mendenhall wrote: Yeah, I like the idea, again, of — in terms of scheduling philosophy, close and regional. And intriguing. It makes a lot of sense. So in our own state it certainly makes sense. Where and how it goes from here we’ll certainly see.

Scheduling happens, as you know, five and sometimes six and sometimes seven years in advance. So I haven’t even looked past this game if the series is to continue or if this is a one-time. I haven’t looked.
Q. You mentioned that you’ve been independent before. Can you kind of speak I guess to what little relationship you do have with Coach Gil at this point and also the level of respect for an independent program?
Bronco Mendenhall wrote:Yeah, so Turner and I through the board of trustees we’ve become friends. When Liberty chose to go independent we had a dialog. I don’t remember the exact details, but he knew that I had been at Brigham Young and we had been independent.

I just passed on some of our experiences, some of the strengths, and some of the challenges that are part of being an independent. It’s just been fun to get to know him as a person, which I always look for quality people in the coaching profession. I think he certainly is. I just respect his record in terms of coaching, but more importantly just who he is. I think he’s exceptional and just a really good person.
https://virginia.sportswar.com/article/ ... erty-week/
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
The injury report is pretty depressing. I was hoping to see Wimberly out, or at last doubtful.

It does seem rather disingenuous to complain about the kids that they are/were responsible for recruiting. I would say that the players are closer to being FBS ready than the coaching staff.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Virginia's defense is limping into this game and their run defense has not been improving over the last few weeks. I think we can take advantage of this and put pressure on them during Senior Night.

The question remains, "when will the defense play a Troy-like game again???" Or was it what many of us think it was, "unexplainable".

Here is to hoping that UVA looks past us and we pop them right in the mouth.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That is possible given they have Georgia Tech next week followed by another chance to end their losing streak to a very vulnerable Virginia Tech squad the week of Thanksgiving
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
As strange as it sounds, the defensive strategy should not be to limit big plays. I think the strategy should be to blitz and bring pressure as much as possible. Big plays are going to happen, but if we can get a few big defensive plays to get the defense off the field even if it involves risk, it's better than what we've seen thus far from the defense.
By Class of 20Something
Kricket wrote:As strange as it sounds, the defensive strategy should not be to limit big plays. I think the strategy should be to blitz and bring pressure as much as possible. Big plays are going to happen, but if we can get a few big defensive plays to get the defense off the field even if it involves risk, it's better than what we've seen thus far from the defense.
Our offense can't score on the Sideline. We cannot let their offense take 8 minute drives. Sellout to hit Perkins and either force a turnover or get the ball back after the score.
By tyndal23
Sell oot to tackle Perkins not just hit,( slow down and wraps him up ) but I agree make him beat you with his arm - if he makes the perfect throws then so be it. Their RB is good enough to make us stack the box anyway - load it up like Troy and get after them. They will make a few big plays but so will we on D.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
So I just read Wimbo’s quotes (excuses) on how the back side of the D meaning the backs and safety’s have struggled because of “depth”. He went on to say how 11 guys have played the majority of snaps including special teams and how they’ve got to play the best guys and that only recruiting will fix it. What a joke. What a joke of an excuse, what a joke of a coach, and I’m really trying hard not to make any comments about a man. You’ve got 85 guys on the roster, let’s say only half are recruited for D and I’ll even throw in 5 more for kicker punter etc. so you’ve got 40 guys for depth reasons and you’re telling us that the dbacks and safety’s have to play “every snap including special teams cause we’ll theyre the best so I know we suck but only recruiting will fix that”. Maybe I’m a little more fired up than I should be but I just can’t believe he made that excuse. If 30-40 guys on the bench can’t be used for some special teams play than maybe that’s a recruiting failure on the coaches.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
22 wrote:So I just read Wimbo’s quotes (excuses) on how the back side of the D meaning the backs and safety’s have struggled because of “depth”. He went on to say how 11 guys have played the majority of snaps including special teams and how they’ve got to play the best guys and that only recruiting will fix it. What a joke. What a joke of an excuse, what a joke of a coach, and I’m really trying hard not to make any comments about a man. You’ve got 85 guys on the roster, let’s say only half are recruited for D and I’ll even throw in 5 more for kicker punter etc. so you’ve got 40 guys for depth reasons and you’re telling us that the dbacks and safety’s have to play “every snap including special teams cause we’ll theyre the best so I know we suck but only recruiting will fix that”. Maybe I’m a little more fired up than I should be but I just can’t believe he made that excuse. If 30-40 guys on the bench can’t be used for some special teams play than maybe that’s a recruiting failure on the coaches.
We are a transition team playing against teams that have been recruiting FBS level athletes for over 50 years :lol: They have third generation athletes playing for them. Be patient :idea: :lol:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:So I just read Wimbo’s quotes (excuses) on how the back side of the D meaning the backs and safety’s have struggled because of “depth”. He went on to say how 11 guys have played the majority of snaps including special teams and how they’ve got to play the best guys and that only recruiting will fix it. What a joke. What a joke of an excuse, what a joke of a coach, and I’m really trying hard not to make any comments about a man. You’ve got 85 guys on the roster, let’s say only half are recruited for D and I’ll even throw in 5 more for kicker punter etc. so you’ve got 40 guys for depth reasons and you’re telling us that the dbacks and safety’s have to play “every snap including special teams cause we’ll theyre the best so I know we suck but only recruiting will fix that”. Maybe I’m a little more fired up than I should be but I just can’t believe he made that excuse. If 30-40 guys on the bench can’t be used for some special teams play than maybe that’s a recruiting failure on the coaches.
He has used excuse after excuse for the last 6 years. Our defense has got worse every year since he and TG have been here, that is undeniable. It is a coaching problem 100%.
By Ewglenn
When you give up 777 yards to UMASS that is on the coach. He needs to shut up and get back to watching film. It’s ridiculous he gets paid for this crap. We should sell out to stop the run and their QB’s mobility. If he beats us over the top, fine, but you HAVE to change up something. A good coach would recognize that and trying to stop both the run and pass isn’t working so at least stop one of them. Instead we’ve just been content throwing 11 guys out there to run around and see what happens. Honestly, Wells could probably call the defensive plays from the field and do better.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Everybody i talked to this week was flat disgusted with both wimbo and gills comments regarding d. Its absurd, what was the excuse last year vs fcs comp...when we played 3 or 4 legit teams and got smoked. Was it all players??
Ive lost almost all respect after those comments.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]