Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:It's obviously wrong to mock it, but I agree that it feels robotic.
I don't judge by what I "feel". I judge by what I see. What I see from Gill is he's a man of faith. Questioning his sincerity is very petty IMHO.
Tells me more about a message board posters heart than Coach's. :idea:
I think we are all treading on being legalism here. We all know how Jesus treated the Pharisees.

To Jonathan's point, who else was on campus when Ergun Caner got busted lying about his testimony?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You cannot put Gill in the same category as Cameron some televangelist whose entire schtick is built around duping people. To question him on his use of that phrase is certainly mean spirited and petty
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:You cannot put Gill in the same category as Cameron some televangelist whose entire schtick is built around duping people. To question him on his use of that phrase is certainly mean spirited and petty
Gill for life. 8)
By Man_the_kay
I haven't talked about Gill since I joined this board.
He brings unexpected results all the time.
so shocked when we lost by CSU last season.
and NMSU this year?
I still don't know how much our defense improved compared to last year.

I was hoping that Liberty has successful transitional season under Gill.
But now, to get better decision, I have to give up my hope.

Good luck HCTG rest of this season.
Last edited by Man_the_kay on October 8th, 2018, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Since I am in Tuscaloosa and the church building he once led in is being torn down as we speak I will throw this oldie but goodie out there..

"Jesus is Awesome!"

:wink:
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Why do we have to mock Gill when he says, "To God be the glory"?
If you want the honest answer for why people mock him for it, it's because it feels disingenuous. He shows no emotion, ever, so to come in to every press conference regardless of good play or bad play and stoically say "to God be the glory" feels like a catch phrase and not something that is genuine. I'm not saying it isn't genuine, but for fans who have watched someone for seven years, it feels that way.
Exactly why I like it ... https://www.gotquestions.org/glory-of-God.html
By CCWMichael
I doubt we could ever get Stoops but what a catch that would be at any level of coaching here.
Like DC with an upgrade soon to HC.
I'll bet after the change at OU their D stiffens up quickly.
Sometimes change midriff produces big results .

The first two lines above are purely fantasy but I live in a world ruled by Kool Aid.

Yes, my Gill confidence interval is dropping quicker than Stormy Daniels shorts.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I predict that come 2019 season, Freeze will be back in coaching.
I hope it is on a mountain in VA somewhere. :)
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I predict that come 2019 season, Freeze will be back in coaching.
+1
By LUDad
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
+1
If IM goes this route (big name) I believe he would go with Art Briles. He would be good for at least 8-10 years and would develop an assistant along the lines of a Lincoln Riley to take over reins. LU would merely be a short rehab stop for Freeze on his way back to a P5 gig.
By cruzan_flame13
You don't think Freeze would stay and establish a P5 like program at the mountain? He'll have the opportunity and advantage with financial support and availability with playing many P5's around us without having to deal with cheesy conference games.
By Jonathan Carone
cruzan_flame13 wrote:You don't think Freeze would stay and establish a P5 like program at the mountain?
Absolutely not.

No one we hire moving forward will stay more than 6-7 years if they have success. We've gotta get used to the idea that if we're good, we're a stepping stone for most.
By LUDad
cruzan_flame13 wrote:You don't think Freeze would stay and establish a P5 like program at the mountain? He'll have the opportunity and advantage with financial support and availability with playing many P5's around us without having to deal with cheesy conference games.
No I don't. Freeze has not stayed more than 1-2 years at any of his University gigs except for P5 Ole Miss. He tried to latch on to Bama OC job so he could be Saban's heir. But he's still young. He just needs a 1-2 year rehab gig before getting back into the big time. Briles is 62. Even if he had LU competing with good P5 teams in 2-4 years, he will be too old to move on. He could give us a good 8-10 years and hand off reins to a Lincoln Riley type assistant. He would also be playing for an AD who knows him and defended his tenture at Baylor.
By LUDad
Offense is the future of football, even at the nfl level. No one has been more effective or inovative than Art Briles. What should be frighting to opposing teams is that he has spent the past two years developing a newer, more potent inovative scheme.

Below are links about his older scheme.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/ ... -23294529/

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... riles-2013
By CCWMichael
BuryYourDuke wrote:Absolutely correct. Think about every ascendant G5 program over the past decade. If they strung together 2 seasons of big performances, their coach was almost always gone. Boise’s coach hung longer, but even he eventually split for the P5.

If we get someone that uses us as a stepping stone to the P5, let’s be thankful that we did well enough to merit it.
But, if we throw cash at coaching ?
By cruzan_flame13
CCWMichael wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Absolutely correct. Think about every ascendant G5 program over the past decade. If they strung together 2 seasons of big performances, their coach was almost always gone. Boise’s coach hung longer, but even he eventually split for the P5.

If we get someone that uses us as a stepping stone to the P5, let’s be thankful that we did well enough to merit it.
Some folks don’t think money and opportunity will not help. I would say that these folks are still stuck with an FCS mentality and will not admit it. Sports is business and deals make people stay and go. That’s why folks want P5 because they get the money which will give them attention. LU can do the same thing and even quicker these days. Liberty is blessed with money and assets that are growing annually. Add good business men and and a mastermind with athletics and a ‘empire’ will be born. Sports bring in even more money, so you think that’s not going to cause Falwell and McCaw to make changes? I’m looking at a long term business and not just what is seen now. College football will not be the same in the future than it is and Liberty could get a piece of the pie. That’s why visionaries gain success and those who doubt or ridicule stay in the state they’re in. Just saying.
By Jonathan Carone
Do you think football actually brings in money?

While we may have tons of opportunity here, most coaches who are worth their salt are going to leave for somewhere with more prestige. They grew up wanting to be the coach at an sEC school or something similar so they’re going to take that opportunity regardless of our money. That’s not a fault. It’s just reality.
By CCWMichael
LUDad wrote:Offense is the future of football, even at the nfl level. No one has been more effective or inovative than Art Briles. What should be frighting to opposing teams is that he has spent the past two years developing a newer, more potent inovative scheme.

Below are links about his older scheme.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/ ... -23294529/

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... riles-2013
I concur that offense since the days of Montana and Marino has altered the offense play scheme for the better.
However, why do schemes always need to change?
Brilliant adaptability to those changes.
Offense or defense; what adaptation forces sheme change? They all do.
Does defense win championships? The NFL number one offense versus defense in the championship game has mostly gone the defensive way. But, this does not prove anything. There are well devloped arguments on either side of the ball.
After that it is philosophical. Will an organization or university want to fill the stands with offensive explosions? What is more exciting run and gun scoring or defensive hangers --- both as stressful for the fans.
An organization will bet where it's best chances lay and sell out on that plan.
For me, if I had to pick where to lay the best talent I would follow the ilk of Paterno"ism" and focus on defense.
Can't win without points and a fresh defense. Ask Osbourne, Paterno and so on. The pass is pretty but the run will win the game. An option guy like Gill should get this.
Explosive offense can be the future of football but the D still needs to allow for the win.
It is very rare --- the undefeated season but my best guess says defense will give you a better chance than a wide open offense. Id rather see Bama win 63 to 21 rather than 53 to 52. The 21 tells me a team has good balance on offense to allow the D to perform. I.n that sense offense is the future of football.
Just my speculative musings.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:

Some folks don’t think money and opportunity will not help. I would say that these folks are still stuck with an FCS mentality and will not admit it. Sports is business and deals make people stay and go. That’s why folks want P5 because they get the money which will give them attention. LU can do the same thing and even quicker these days. Liberty is blessed with money and assets that are growing annually. Add good business men and and a mastermind with athletics and a ‘empire’ will be born. Sports bring in even more money, so you think that’s not going to cause Falwell and McCaw to make changes? I’m looking at a long term business and not just what is seen now. College football will not be the same in the future than it is and Liberty could get a piece of the pie. That’s why visionaries gain success and those who doubt or ridicule stay in the state they’re in. Just saying.
You weren’t a Sport Management Major were you?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:But he’s got vision!!!
Right up there with Feelz
By LUDad
The NCAA per team scoring average record been broken 7 times in the past 18 years. It was broken 19 times in the previous 63 years. Most of the increase in scoring has been attributed to spread offenses. The increase in scoring simply puts pressure on the opposing team to score every time it touches the ball. When two evenly teams are matched, I agree that defenses will win games but they will win them in a different way than in the past. Instead of holding a team to a low score, they will stop a few key drives and/or force turnovers and have fewer drive killing penalties. Rule changes such as amount /type of contact allowed, protection of QB's are also a factor that has decreased smash-mouth football.

Even the NFL is changing. An interesting site showing historical info on the effectiveness of runs vs passing is listed below. It shows why there are very few fullbacks in the NFL game today and why the value of pure running backs is diminishing and the value of hybrids such as of a Christian McCaffrey is rising.

https://www.besttickets.com/blog/evolut ... l-offense/
By LUDad
LUDad wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:You don't think Freeze would stay and establish a P5 like program at the mountain? He'll have the opportunity and advantage with financial support and availability with playing many P5's around us without having to deal with cheesy conference games.
No I don't. Freeze has not stayed more than 1-2 years at any of his University gigs except for P5 Ole Miss. He tried to latch on to Bama OC job so he could be Saban's heir. But he's still young. He just needs a 1-2 year rehab gig before getting back into the big time. Briles is 62. Even if he had LU competing with good P5 teams in 2-4 years, he will be too old to move on. He could give us a good 8-10 years and hand off reins to a Lincoln Riley type assistant. He would also be playing for an AD who knows him and defended his tenture at Baylor.
One more thing about Briles. He gets a jump on his peers in ways beyond offense schemes. Read the article below about the use of an Ipad vs. a playbook. Note that he adopted this practice a number of years ago.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... uarterback

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]