Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rtb72
It comes down to what LU wants for the program and how much they're willing to pay for it. HCTG will not have "leverage" even with a 6-6 season. He has been lacking and knows his past performance trends draw attention. It's not like we are going to be competing against other programs knocking down the door to attract him. If the team performs above expectation, I absolutely agree HCTG deserves credit (and I'm not his biggest fan as a coach). His contract is nearing its term (not sure when) but a three year ext. based on a 6-6 season....I don't think is appropriate. A 1 to 1.5 mil. salary for a coach can emerge quality candidates that might not otherwise have been on the market. Not gonna be a Sabin obviously….but I also don't think LU has proactively been seeking a replacement either.
By Ewglenn
JK37 wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:What’s getting lost in all this is we are more talented than half of our schedule. NMSU, NM, FCS and UMass we have much better talent. Six wins is nice but this isn’t murderer’s row. Most coaches “should” beat those teams with or current roster. We have two players that will be playing in the NFL, Wells and AGG, and one, Buckshot, that has a chance. Y’all are getting caught up in the emotions of us not looking like idiots that you’ve forgot the entire body of work for HCTG. I say if we don’t lose to an FCS team, which I’ve already predicted we will lose to Idaho St, then Gill should stay another year. If we lose one of those he has to go.
I feel like you are contradicting yourself a little. Six wins isn’t good considering the schedule, but as long as he sweeps the FCS opponents he can stay. Do I have that right?
Six wins should be the standard with this years schedule. I don’t think 4 wins should warrant keeping him. However, I know if he wins 4 games our administration isn’t going to get rid of him(assuming he beats the FCS teams). I thought he should have been gone last year. So six isn’t “good”. Go 7-5 with a win over UVA and let’s talk extensions.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Old Red wrote:I think LU is gonna be the place where Hugh Freeze makes his coaching return in ‘19.
I think he's going to be our next head coach but it won't be in '19.
By cruzan_flame13
Just hypothetically speaking with no evidence exposed; when will it be appropriate for Freeze to receive a coaching job? It’s been a year since he has resigned from his position at Ole Miss.
By Ewglenn
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Just hypothetically speaking with no evidence exposed; when will it be appropriate for Freeze to receive a coaching job? It’s been a year since he has resigned from his position at Ole Miss.
I’m okay with him coaching Liberty against Troy.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Why do we have to mock Gill when he says, "To God be the glory"?

It is one thing to criticize his coaching decisions as well as administrative. Those things are part of being a loyal fan base and wanting a good product on the field. Further, I do not doubt that every one of us on this board want a well coached product on the field.

I just want to encourage us as a board to not mock our HC due to the fact that he says, "To God be the glory" in every press conference. We should be glad that HCTG has that kind of perspective and I for one am glad that he is setting that example to the young men on the team. Shoot, it is a great example for me to follow that no matter what the outcome is in a game or a life situation that we can give God the glory.
By Jonathan Carone
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Why do we have to mock Gill when he says, "To God be the glory"?
If you want the honest answer for why people mock him for it, it's because it feels disingenuous. He shows no emotion, ever, so to come in to every press conference regardless of good play or bad play and stoically say "to God be the glory" feels like a catch phrase and not something that is genuine. I'm not saying it isn't genuine, but for fans who have watched someone for seven years, it feels that way.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Why do we have to mock Gill when he says, "To God be the glory"?

It is one thing to criticize his coaching decisions as well as administrative. Those things are part of being a loyal fan base and wanting a good product on the field. Further, I do not doubt that every one of us on this board want a well coached product on the field.

I just want to encourage us as a board to not mock our HC due to the fact that he says, "To God be the glory" in every press conference. We should be glad that HCTG has that kind of perspective and I for one am glad that he is setting that example to the young men on the team. Shoot, it is a great example for me to follow that no matter what the outcome is in a game or a life situation that we can give God the glory.
I don't think he should say it when the team gives such a poor effort. It is ok, when we have a good game and play hard, even if we lose. There is nothing glorious about tonight's performance. Just my HO. I don't really care either way. I will sleep well tonight, either way.
When TG leaves the mountain for the last time, I will say it for him. 8)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
If you want the honest answer for why people mock him for it, it's because it feels disingenuous. He shows no emotion, ever, so to come in to every press conference regardless of good play or bad play and stoically say "to God be the glory" feels like a catch phrase and not something that is genuine. I'm not saying it isn't genuine, but for fans who have watched someone for seven years, it feels that way.
Which fans "feel that way"? Let me guess.
By Ewglenn
Chippy wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Which fans "feel that way"? Let me guess.
It does feel that way.
By LUDad
I for one cannot cast that stone. My prayers before meals are all too often rote. I do believe that the Spirit can still take those prayers and glorify God. Perhaps, people at other tables will be convicted.
By BigRed1
Class of 20Something wrote:It's obviously wrong to mock it, but I agree that it feels robotic.
Kind of like some of those politicians who say “God Bless America “ and then turn around and be anti-Christian in their policies.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:It's obviously wrong to mock it, but I agree that it feels robotic.
I don't judge by what I "feel". I judge by what I see. What I see from Gill is he's a man of faith. Questioning his sincerity is very petty IMHO.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
I don't judge by what I "feel". I judge by what I see. What I see from Gill is he's a man of faith. Questioning his sincerity is very petty IMHO. Even talking about him like this brings dishonor to God
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
I don't judge by what I "feel". I judge by what I see. What I see from Gill is he's a man of faith. Questioning his sincerity is very petty IMHO.
Tells me more about a message board posters heart than Coach's. :idea:
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
To God be the glory!
By Jonathan Carone
Chippy wrote:
You are morally better than most.

For many of us, we've been duped by spiritual leaders who said the right phrase in front of a camera or while shaking your hand but then didn't back up those words. It's why many are skeptical of religious leaders. Giving the benefit of the doubt is really hard for a lot of people unless it's been earned.
By LUDad
Gill is a Christian football coach who happens to work for a Christian school. From what little I know, Gill's Christian walk has been exempliery. Personally, I believe Gill is simply being Gill. That is his personally, he is not going to have many public emotional moments. It all comes down to wins and loses. If you are a Bama fan or a New England fan you would not be questioning coach's personality. On field is one thing, but no reason to take it personal.
By Jonathan Carone
Personally, I don’t question the sincerity of it. I’m more annoyed by it than anything. That’s because I hate cheesy Christian catch phrases in general.

My comments about the sincerity were purely to answer the question that was asked.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote:Personally, I don’t question the sincerity of it. I’m more annoyed by it than anything. That’s because I hate cheesy Christian catch phrases in general.

My comments about the sincerity were purely to answer the question that was asked.
I had just read comment by BigRed1
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]