Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
You really have to be THAT guy PH?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:You really have to be THAT guy PH?
Well if you’re gonna use Scripture.....
By Jonathan Carone
Nothing annoys me more than Christian athletes grabbing a verse out of context to make some catchy slogan.

But I should expect that from a program that "leaves the results to God."
By cruzan_flame13
Jonathan Carone wrote:Nothing annoys me more than Christian athletes grabbing a verse out of context to make some catchy slogan.

How is this out of context? That verse is part of a believer being submissive to authority. These athletes are not only using this for their opponents but also submitting to their coaches, professors, etc who has some authority over them. I’m not sure how out of context this is; this doesn’t only pertain to government or a faction on a similar level. I actually think it’s not a such a bad slogan, but let me know where you’re coming from on the verse.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Nothing annoys me more than Christian athletes grabbing a verse out of context to make some catchy slogan.

How is this out of context? That verse is part of a believer being submissive to authority. These athletes are not only using this for their opponents but also submitting to their coaches, professors, etc who has some authority over them. I’m not sure how out of context this is; this doesn’t only pertain to government or a faction on a similar level. I actually think it’s not a such a bad slogan, but let me know where you’re coming from on the verse.
It’s a GREAT Season Slogan
It’s NOT an actual Scripture
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts

you're easily annoyed :lol:
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:How is this out of context?
Let’s see... The slogan says, “fear none.” The verse says, “fear God.” :dontgetit
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:It’s a great slogan. Ain’t no reason to Jesus juke it and add a verse but that’s what we do.
Is the TEAM actually attaching that verse to the slogan? If so, it´s a stretch at best. The concept of fearing God does contain an implication that we should not fear any man, but I agree, there is no need to go there. It is a really good slogan without trying to directly tie it to a Bible verse.
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:It’s a great slogan. Ain’t no reason to Jesus juke it and add a verse but that’s what we do.
Is the TEAM actually attaching that verse to the slogan? If so, it´s a stretch at best. The concept of fearing God does contain an implication that we should not fear any man, but I agree, there is no need to go there. It is a really good slogan without trying to directly tie it to a Bible verse.
By cruzan_flame13
alabama24 wrote:
Let’s see... The slogan says, “fear none.” The verse says, “fear God.” :dontgetit
When you fear God, you don't fear man hence fearing no one a.k.a any human being.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
When you fear God, you don't fear man hence fearing no one a.k.a any human being.
The verse is specifically saying to love, honor and respect fellow man and fear God. To interpret that as saying fear no man is a stretch. That whole section of 2 Peter is talking about submitting to those in authority over us (men) and doing good to not dishonor our Heavenly Father. CLASSIC out of context interpretation.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
oldflame wrote:
The way this is phrased (ie ¨coming from¨ I Peter 2:17) skirts the issue that it is NOT a direct scripture quote.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Hear it straight from Gill (starts at 2:37):

[youtube]YP4f4ffybSM[/youtube]
I like that it came from the players, and Gill´s explanation of the concept is fine. He actually explains the verse quite well, while failing to mention that it says nothing about ¨fearing none¨. Possibly that came from one of the other scriptures which he said came up in the discussion. I say keep the slogan (which is totally valid and supported by an abundance of scripture) and just stop using this specific reference as if the slogan is a direct quote.
Last edited by olldflame on August 10th, 2018, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
What's with picking everything apart like vultures on carrion? It's a good slogan...and I'll just leave it at that
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:What's with picking everything apart like vultures on carrion? It's a good slogan...and I'll just leave it at that
I haven´t read a single negative word here about the slogan.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:What's with picking everything apart like vultures on carrion? It's a good slogan...and I'll just leave it at that
The slogan is great. Taking scripture out of context kind of rubs me the wrong way but it isn't anything over the top but you have to at least see that and can understand why it would at least rub some the wrong way.
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote:
The slogan is great. Taking scripture out of context kind of rubs me the wrong way but it isn't anything over the top but you have to at least see that and can understand why it would at least rub some the wrong way.
I would like to hear why this was out of context; I really want to see how you interpret that verse in addition to the few verses before that. If you're really talking about context, you have to look at who Peter was talking to ( believers) and what was going on during that time period to believers. If you compare that to the student athlete in the "real world" of college life, it's not that far fetched. These players are playing for a "controversial" school in a politically correct environment, just like the believers were in that time 60's A.D. So I'm seeing that they are submitting to their coaches and their opponents, but not fearing them as they fear the Lord. That might hopefully help them to trust in God and work hard on and off the team. How does that rub you the wrong way?
By Jonathan Carone
The issue is attaching the verse to it. It's just another level of the things Coach Gill does that rubs many of us the wrong way.
By Jonathan Carone
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
thepostman wrote:
I would like to hear why this was out of context; I really want to see how you interpret that verse in addition to the few verses before that. If you're really talking about context, you have to look at who Peter was talking to ( believers) and what was going on during that time period to believers. If you compare that to the student athlete in the "real world" of college life, it's not that far fetched. These players are playing for a "controversial" school in a politically correct environment, just like the believers were in that time 60's A.D. So I'm seeing that they are submitting to their coaches and their opponents, but not fearing them as they fear the Lord. That might hopefully help them to trust in God and work hard on and off the team. How does that rub you the wrong way?
How and why does "fear God" equating to "fear no man"? Are the two mutually exclusive? And if so, how? Is it impossible to fear God and fear men?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]