Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Because of the underdog factor, i think we will win 3-4 FBS games this year. However, I think we will lose one of the FCS games, we will choke an expected win away. So 4-5 total wins this year.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:Because of the underdog factor, i think we will win 3-4 FBS games this year. However, I think we will lose one of the FCS games, we will choke an expected win away. So 4-5 total wins this year.
I can get behind this.
By Class of 20Something
jimflamesfan wrote:Because of the underdog factor, i think we will win 3-4 FBS games this year. However, I think we will lose one of the FCS games, we will choke an expected win away. So 4-5 total wins this year.
Well if that wouldn't be the most Liberty season ever.
By Jonathan Carone
Class of 20Something wrote:
Well if that wouldn't be the most Liberty season ever.
Nothing would be more Typical Liberty.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I disagree on losing one of the FCS matchups. If anything, as I said already (and garnered zero discussion), we win both FCS games (Idaho State might be closer due to lack of familiarity), beat ODU and grab one or two other games. I see maybe UMass (even though it's on the road) and/or the return game by NMSU. If not one of those, I am curious about the possibility of stealing UVa, but unless they go through a Maryland style upheaval at QB, who ever their starter will at least have some experience by the time they play us.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I disagree on losing one of the FCS matchups. If anything, as I said already (and garnered zero discussion), we win both FCS games (Idaho State might be closer due to lack of familiarity), beat ODU and grab one or two other games. I see maybe UMass (even though it's on the road) and/or the return game by NMSU. If not one of those, I am curious about the possibility of stealing UVa, but unless they go through a Maryland style upheaval at QB, who ever their starter will at least have some experience by the time they play us.
Read and acknowledged. I think the point is that none of us would be shocked if we lose an FCS game.
By tyndal23
Offense has a lot coming back, run is our weakest link so teams will blitz us like crazy, really need to develop several solid screen options to offset and some TE pass plays which have been non existent. If our D line depth and talent upgrade can give LB’s freedom to make plays, our secondary is talented enough to hold up against most any pass game on schedule. I like the fact our first 2 FBS games are run heavy and coaches can spend more time prepping to stop the run leading right in to ODU. If we can’t stop Army Full Back - going to be a route. Troy is a real tough out due to talent at every position - I could see us not covering spread against Troy and Army but giving everyone else a lot of trouble. Talent is there on O, just really not sold on week in week out game planning and in game adjustments. Rooting for 7 wins or 2 - ( make it easy on a staff change immediately rather than drag it out if this staff cant make the leap ).
By Dalegarz1
I've watched Army play several times the few years (In my backyard). Couple that with our futile efforts to stop any kind of option attack and I can see the Black Knights scoring on every possession. It has the potential to be embarrassing. Having said that, I expect 3-5 wins. Three means a coaching change-four puts us in limbo-five and TG returns.
By Class of 20Something
Dalegarz1 wrote:I've watched Army play several times the few years (In my backyard). Couple that with our futile efforts to stop any kind of option attack and I can see the Black Knights scoring on every possession. It has the potential to be embarrassing. Having said that, I expect 3-5 wins. Three means a coaching change-four puts us in limbo-five and TG returns.
Hey, That's a battle we can win! Big XII here we come!!!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I rather disagree Dale...the Black Knights will be breaking in a new starting quarterback with Carter and Bradshaw both gone, so I don't think they'll be humming up and down the field like some unstoppable force. I mean I could see two scores, maybe three, but I don't think we'll see a 50-25 or 64-6 score in this one
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Turner Gill finally pulled the trigger on Robert Wimberly...and made him the Associate Head Coach.

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... 23e63.html
Just when one would think things couldn't get worse. The defense was the worst performing part of the team last year, how does it make ANY sense to promote the DC? When your in a hole, you should quit digging it deeper.
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Turner Gill finally pulled the trigger on Robert Wimberly...and made him the Associate Head Coach.

Just when one would think things couldn't get worse. The defense was the worst performing part of the team last year, how does it make ANY sense to promote the DC? When your in a hole, you should quit digging it deeper.
Or Gill knows that the pot is boiling rapidly and is willing to go out with the house ketching on fire.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I am on record as saying we should have used the additional Asst. coaching position to hire a new D-coordinator and allow Wimberly to stay on and coach the safeties if he chose to do so. Predictably, TG chose not to. IMHO this move is unrelated. Associate HC is basically a ceremonial position. It won´t change any of Wimberly´s duties as far as deciding what we do on the field is concerned. More to do with academics, discipline and other off field issues. I think Wimbo is as good a choice as any to take on some of those things Gill used to delegate to Ron Brown.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Army goes games without passing. I don’t know how much having a new QB will matter.
The QB is the facilitator of the offense in the TO, almost like having a fourth running back (hey FFG I know you're down at GT, did I distill that down too much?) Whoever is their starter come game 1 will have limited experience running that offense at game speed.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Army goes games without passing. I don’t know how much having a new QB will matter.
We are going to struggle a ton against Army but a new QB in that system is a huge question mark for them as the guy who graduated was very, very good in that system so it'll be a question mark for them.

With that said our defense will still struggle to stop them. New QB or not.
Last edited by thepostman on August 9th, 2018, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ahmad Bradshaw...he was AMAZING
By PAFlame
Flames win both FCS games and win at New Mexico. I can see maybe 4 wins at most with this roster and a very outside shot at 5. If we get to 6-6, I think you have to give Gill at least one more year, anything less and he's gone.
By Jonathan Carone
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:

Or Gill knows that the pot is boiling rapidly and is willing to go out with the house ketching on fire.
Or you both are equating playcalling and scheming with the administrative and leadership duties of a head coach. Many head coaches aren’t great coordinators or play callers.

I’m on record multiple times saying I think Wimbo would be a better head coach than DC. I’ve thought that since the day we hired him back. I’m 100% biased because I’ve worked directly under him. I’ve seen his organizational skills, administrative ability, and leadership capacity first hand. Those first two things are areas Coach Gill is not good in at all.

The perfect storm would’ve been we hired a new DC and shifted Wimbo to this position. That would’ve put everyone in their best position. My hope is Wimbo continues to grow as a DC while also helping us improve in this role.
By cruzan_flame13
I think the slogan that the team agreed on should be the motto for the LU football program moving onward:

“Respect All. Fear None.” - 1 Peter 2:17

What do you guys think?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:Flames win both FCS games and win at New Mexico. I can see maybe 4 wins at most with this roster and a very outside shot at 5. If we get to 6-6, I think you have to give Gill at least one more year, anything less and he's gone.
If this team wins 6 games then I think we should make Coach Gill "coach for life." I think 3-4 wins this year. Losing 2 top defenders (Irons at middle linebacker and Elisha Mitchell at DT) certainly takes away from the depth we got with the JUCOs and incoming R-Fr and Fr classes. We can't afford too many more injuries and expect to win 6 games.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I think the slogan that the team agreed on should be the motto for the LU football program moving onward:

What do you guys think?
Not a bad slogan...can they walk it out is the question?
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I think the slogan that the team agreed on should be the motto for the LU football program moving onward:

What do you guys think?
Not a bad slogan...can they walk it out is the question?
I don't think it sets an unrealistic expectation. It almost drips of underdog. If we exist as an underdog with a chip on our shoulder, it could be a good identity for us.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

What do you guys think?
What Bible are you using?

King James Version
Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

Darby Bible Translation
Shew honour to all, love the brotherhood, fear God, honour the king.

World English Bible
Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.

Young's Literal Translation
to all give ye honour; the brotherhood love ye; God fear ye; the king honour ye.

ESV
17 Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

The Message
Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government.

NIV
Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]