If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Class of 20Something
I think rebounds on both ends of the court could have changed the outcomes of a lot of games. If you add 3 offensive boards and defensive boards per game, it absolutely closes the gap in a lot of the games we've played.

Remember, every board you get takes away from your opponent. Someone is going to get the rebound.

Look at the company we would be in if we increase our rebound margin per game from 3.8 to 6.0.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... eam/151/p1
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I think rebounds on both ends of the court could have changed the outcomes of a lot of games. If you add 3 offensive boards and defensive boards per game, it absolutely closes the gap in a lot of the games we've played.

Remember, every board you get takes away from your opponent. Someone is going to get the rebound.

Look at the company we would be in if we increase our rebound margin per game from 3.8 to 6.0.

This is one of the reasons I am optomistic that we can take a step up this coming year. We had a very solid rebounding team last year playing Scottie and Myo, who are both really PFs in the post. We have added 2 legit post players who were dominant rebounders in HS. Blake Preston averaged over 11 rpg his senior year and Brendan Newton over 14.

People are quick to dismiss Brendan´s numbers because he played in a weak conference in HS, but that is somewhat misleading. Because Faith Christian was so dominant in their conference, many of their games were blowouts, and Brendan often spent the entire second half being the world´s tallest cheerleader. They did play some tougher competition OOC however, with some interesting results. Look at what Brendan did in the prestigious Washington Tournament of Champions his Senior year.

https://washingtontofc.org/records/tour ... ournament/

The record for total rebounds in this tourney is 59, which was over 4 games, for an average of 14.8. Brendan had 52 in only 3 games, for an average of 17.3, which is the tournament record by over 2 rpg. Look at that list and you see the most recognizable name is Zion Williamson, but among the other players who have competed in the WTOC are DeMarcus Aldridge and Anthony Davis.

If Brendan and/or Blake can step up and earn substantial minutes, allowing Scottie and Myo to play PF and with Homesly or Gumbs at the SF, I really believe we can be a dominant rebounding team, and our interior defense will also be a lot stronger.
By Lion1983
Hi, North Alabama fan here.

Just like to say how excited everyone I have talked to is about going into the A-Sun with Liberty. Liberty is a well respected school in my area.

One thing I have noticed when the A-Sun schedule is announced for y'all is it says North Alabama is not eligible for any postseason tournaments, that is just for NCAA tournaments, we are eligible for A-Sun tournament and championships. If y'all have any questions about UNA or the Florence/Shoals area, feel free to ask. Looking forward to possibly making some trips to your outstanding campus.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to the board, Lion1983. Glad to see you were able to get registered. We will be learning quite a bit about a bunch of schools at once just like you all. It certainly adds some spice to the upcoming season.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I think rebounds on both ends of the court could have changed the outcomes of a lot of games. If you add 3 offensive boards and defensive boards per game, it absolutely closes the gap in a lot of the games we've played.

A few rebounds per game is not worth the cog in the wheel he would be to an already dismal offense.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Please don´t use expressions if you do not know their meaning. Being a ¨cog in the wheel¨ is not even remotely a bad thing. Since you didn´t say, I´m guessing you were referring to Newton. Fact is, none of us know yet how effective he will be on offense this year, but I for one look at the fact that in his brief stint against VCU he was able to catch the ball in the post 4 times, score 5 points and draw 4 fouls in a little over 2 minutes as a positive sign. He has had a year to develop since then. If he turns out to be a ¨wrench in the works¨ on offense, he won´t play a lot. A cog in the wheel and he absolutely will.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:...draw 4 fouls in a little over 2 minutes as a positive sign.
Oldflame, is that a positive as well? With all due respect, I think Purple and BJ could both do that, even in their advanced ages. :oldhag :oldhag
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:...draw 4 fouls in a little over 2 minutes as a positive sign.
Oldflame, is that a positive as well? With all due respect, I think Purple and BJ could both do that, even in their advanced ages. :oldhag :oldhag
He didn´t commit the fouls, he drew them. Brendan was catching the ball down low, and the 6´9¨ 245 FR trying to guard him was apparently overmatched,so he fouled.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don't know that I put much stock in two minutes of a meaningless preseason game.
I merely said it was a positive sign, as in way better than if he had turned the ball over every time they passed it to him in the post and committed 4 fouls. I think it´s at least as relevant as 3rd hand reports from people who talked to someone who talked to someone else who saw him 3 years ago in high school and say his only skill is being tall. I also made a point of saying we really don´t know how effective he is going to be on offensive this year (although some people seem to think they do.)

As far as the game being ¨meaningless¨ is concerned, while technically correct for any exibition game, I think VCU had a ton of incentive to not be embarassed in front of their home crowd against an in state opponent considered to be on a lower level.
Last edited by olldflame on July 11th, 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
I'm not sure what third hand information you're talking about. Everything I've heard about him that I put any stock in is directly from people who have been in the gym and/or on the floor at the same time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm not sure what third hand information you're talking about. Everything I've heard about him that I put any stock in is directly from people who have been in the gym and/or on the floor at the same time.
Excuse my hyperbole. Second hand, and at least 2 years old if not more.
By Jonathan Carone
But if he was a project coming into college based on multiple years of high school and AAU play, why would we expect him to be a significant contributor on a 20-win team after only a year of development where we've only seen him for two minutes in a preseason game? Has he improved that much in a year? Do we have any proof of that?

I think the kid will be a solid contributor before he's done here, but I've never understood why you were so much higher on him than pretty much everyone else even going back to high school.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:But if he was a project coming into college based on multiple years of high school and AAU play, why would we expect him to be a significant contributor on a 20-win team after only a year of development where we've only seen him for two minutes in a preseason game? Has he improved that much in a year? Do we have any proof of that?

I think the kid will be a solid contributor before he's done here, but I've never understood why you were so much higher on him than pretty much everyone else even going back to high school.
I´m quite frankly surprised that you wouldn´t understand why our staff looked at Brendan differently than some others. It seems quite obvious to me. Instead of just a really tall kid with some basketball upside who may or may not be a ¨project¨as a player, they also saw that he was a young christian man whos background, character and attitude made him a perfect fit for the culture of our program.
By Jonathan Carone
I totally understand why they locked in on him and wanted him as part of the team. I'm thrilled he's in the program and think he can be a really solid contributor on the court his junior and senior year.

I'm asking basketball wise - what makes you think he's going to be a great contributor this year? You keep throwing out the idea that he'll be an important part of the team on the floor but we haven't seen any reason why.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
He can help defensively. Offensively is unknown. I would temper expectations for this year. I cant see more than 10 to 12 min a game unless james or bell go down. He will battle preston for time i would think.

Could def see price redshirting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I totally understand why they locked in on him and wanted him as part of the team. I'm thrilled he's in the program and think he can be a really solid contributor on the court his junior and senior year.

I'm asking basketball wise - what makes you think he's going to be a great contributor this year? You keep throwing out the idea that he'll be an important part of the team on the floor but we haven't seen any reason why.
Actually, no. Everything I have suggested as to possible contributions either Brendan or Blake Preston might make on the court this year has been said with the caviat that they would have to earn the minutes. It´s clear that Ritchie is looking to go bigger. Why else would he recruit these guys? We also know that he has no problem staying with a smaller lineup if he believes that is what gives us the best chance to win.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:He can help defensively. Offensively is unknown. I would temper expectations for this year. I cant see more than 10 to 12 min a game unless james or bell go down. He will battle preston for time i would think.

Could def see price redshirting.
IMHO the only way Price plays this year is if he is absolutely shooting lights out and the other shooters we are looking at to take up the slack for the loss of Kemrite are just not getting it done. I think we will be fine with McDowell, Gumbs and McGhee, and that will give Josh a year to finish growing and work with Henry to develop a D1 body.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
My b about the 'cog in the wheel'. What I meant to say is, basketball is changing. No longer do you play inside out, you play outside out. Passing around the perimeter until someone has an open driving lane or an open three. I wish our offense a little more developed and comprehensive some times, but its not. Brendan does not fit that type of offense and will hold things up and slow things down.

Clog up the middle, is probably the expression I was searching for.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Clog up the middle, is probably the expression I was searching for.
Isn't that what you want on defense, esp. the pack line that McKay runs?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Welcome to the board, Lion1983. Glad to see you were able to get registered. We will be learning quite a bit about a bunch of schools at once just like you all. It certainly adds some spice to the upcoming season.
speaking of which. Shouldn't we update the Big South boards over to the ASun in the non sports section?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
R i wrote:Clog up the middle, is probably the expression I was searching for.
Isn't that what you want on defense, esp. the pack line that McKay runs?
Clogging up the middle on the offensive end is not a positive.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]