If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:As we move to ASUN Conference, I am more concerned about MBB than any other sport. We must recruit better.
As usual, no support for your position. The ASUN is a top-heavy conference in MBB. FGCU and Lipscomb are probably better than anyone in the BSC. The rest of the conference is weak. Worse than the BSC (and FGCU is also looking at a significant rebuilding year). WBB, softball and baseball all will be facing a much stiffer overall challenge in terms of conference competition than MBB.

BTW, MBB just got a committment from a 3 star player that Lipscomb wanted badly. I guess our recruiting may not be all that bad.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We have this discussion every year, but I forget the answer. What 3-star recruits, besides maybe Carter McMasters, have signed and played basketball for LU in the past?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The support for my position is: NCAA tournament appearances/NCAA tournament wins. It can be found on Liberty University basketball website.
I don’t think ‘Research ‘ means what you think it means....
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:We have this discussion every year, but I forget the answer. What 3-star recruits, besides maybe Carter McMasters, have signed and played basketball for LU in the past?
Not many we signed out of high school. We have one on the current roster in Brendan Newton. Recent past has Brock Gardner, although he was only rated 3 stars by one service.

Transfers who were rated 3 stars coming out of HS include John Dawson, Dwight Brewington and TeeJay Bannister. James Johnson was actually rated 4 stars.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The support for my position is: NCAA tournament appearances/NCAA tournament wins. It can be found on Liberty University basketball website.
As far as NCAA appearences are concerned, both conferences get one automatic bid every year. I am fairly certain that the ASUN and BSC are tied at zero in at large appearences. It is true that the ASUN has had more success in the NCAA tournament, basically all of it by FGCU, which I conceded is a more successful program than any in the BSC. That does not necessarily make the conference tougher, especially since FGCU has lost their HC and their top 7 scorers from last year. Lipscomb, who probably is the favorite to win next year, made their first D1 tournament appearence ever last year and lost to UNC.

The ASUN is much better top to bottom in WBB, baseball and softball than they are in MBB. Just look at the conference RPIs.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Oldflame, as expected, you are a wealth of knowledge. The only name that I didn't recognize was James Johnson. When did he play for LU?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
As far as NCAA appearences are concerned, both conferences get one automatic bid every year. I am fairly certain that the ASUN and BSC are tied at zero in MBB at large appearences. It is true that the ASUN has had more success in the NCAA tournament, basically all of it by FGCU, which I conceded is a more successful program than any in the BSC. That does not necessarily make the conference tougher, especially since FGCU has lost their HC and their top 7 scorers from last year. Lipscomb, who probably is the favorite to win next year, made their first D1 tournament appearence ever last year and lost to UNC.

The ASUN is much better top to bottom in WBB, baseball and softball than they are in MBB. Just look at the conference RPIs.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Oldflame, as expected, you are a wealth of knowledge. The only name that I didn't recognize was James Johnson. When did he play for LU?
James played just 1 year for LU as a grad transfer in 2014-15. Prior to that he spent a year at UVA and 3 at San Diego St. (one sitting out under transfer rules).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I had to look him up: James Johnson averaged 17 minutes and 5 points per game.

http://www.liberty.edu/wwwadmin/globals ... 1532_C.HTM
James is a textbook example of how star ratings in HS do not necessarily translate into success at the college level. His numbers at UVA and SDSU were way lower than that. On the other hand Seth Curry, Larry Blair and Jesse Sanders (to name just a few) were 2 star recruits.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Going by memory, so may not be the best. However, it seems that the Jacksonville Dolphins played UCLA in the finals or semi-finals of the NCAA tournament back in the early 70's. They had 2 seven footers, Artis Gilmore and a guy named Burrows? The UCLA center was Steve Patterson, a white dude, about 6'7" who couldn't jump. Sidney Wicks asked John Wooden to play center that game and ate Artis Gilmore alive. Don't suspect that Jacksonville was in the A-Sun back then, but IF I am correct, that is some pretty good ancient history/accomplishment. 8)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Going by memory, so may not be the best. However, it seems that the Jacksonville Dolphins played UCLA in the finals or semi-finals of the NCAA tournament back in the early 70's. They had 2 seven footers, Artis Gilmore and a guy named Burrows? The UCLA center was Steve Patterson, a white dude, about 6'7" who couldn't jump. Sidney Wicks asked John Wooden to play center that game and ate Artis Gilmore alive. Don't suspect that Jacksonville was in the A-Sun back then, but IF I am correct, that is some pretty good ancient history/accomplishment. 8)
Gilmore was 7'2" and Pembroke Burrows was 7 feet - saw the game on TV. UCLA listed Steve Patterson at 6'9" . Saw them play in the Steel Bowl (Pittsburgh) against Pitt with Keith Wilkes, Sydney Wicks et al. Duquesne was actually the team that was suppose to be in the final with UCLA but was upset by a mediocre Pitt team. Duquesne was preseason ranked #5 in the country by Sports Illustrated. They ended up playing Miami (Fla) in the consolation game.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Going by memory, so may not be the best. However, it seems that the Jacksonville Dolphins played UCLA in the finals or semi-finals of the NCAA tournament back in the early 70's. They had 2 seven footers, Artis Gilmore and a guy named Burrows? The UCLA center was Steve Patterson, a white dude, about 6'7" who couldn't jump. Sidney Wicks asked John Wooden to play center that game and ate Artis Gilmore alive. Don't suspect that Jacksonville was in the A-Sun back then, but IF I am correct, that is some pretty good ancient history/accomplishment. 8)
Gilmore was 7'2" and Pembroke Burrows was 7 feet - saw the game on TV. UCLA listed Steve Patterson at 6'9" . Saw them play in the Steel Bowl (Pittsburgh) against Pitt with Keith Wilkes, Sydney Wicks et al. Duquesne was actually the team that was suppose to be in the final with UCLA but was upset by a mediocre Pitt team. Duquesne was preseason ranked #5 in the country by Sports Illustrated. They ended up playing Miami (Fla) in the consolation game.
Glad I wasn't that far off. One of the best basketball games/individual performances I have ever seen. To make things even more impressive, that was back when 32 teams (or less), made the field.
Another interesting tidbit. Artis Gilmore went to Gardner-Webb Junior College before transferring to Jacksonville.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Chippy wrote:

Glad I wasn't that far off. One of the best basketball games/individual performances I have ever seen. To make things even more impressive, that was back when 32 teams (or less), made the field.
Another interesting tidbit. Artis Gilmore went to Gardner-Webb Junior College before transferring to Jacksonville.
Chippy, was that the Duquesne team with the Nelson Twins, Jarrod Durham, Billy Zopf, etc.?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Back to the 2019 recruiting class. We have one scholarship remaining as things stand now. Per verbalcommits, we have 5 offers out.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/liberty

I think it´s safe to say that with the committments we have from Rode and Marten Maide, the 2 shooting guards are probably now off the table. That leaves 3 point guards to fill what will be an upcoming need. Continuing the previous conversation, all 3 are enrolled in Christian schools. I would be happy to sign any of them, but I really like Caleb Mills from Asheville, NC. He is bigger/longer and I believe can do more things. An added bonus is it would be another recruiting win over Lipscomb. 8)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Back to the 2019 recruiting class. We have one scholarship remaining as things stand now. Per verbalcommits, we have 5 offers out. I notified them of Rode´s commit, but they haven´t updated it yet.

I think it´s safe to say that with the committments we have from Rode and Marten Maide, the 2 shooting guards are probably now off the table. That leaves 3 point guards to fill what will be an upcoming need. Continuing the previous conversation, all 3 are enrolled in Christian schools. I would be happy to sign any of them, but I really like Caleb Mills from Asheville, NC. He is bigger/longer and I believe can do more things. An added bonus is it would be another recruiting win over Lipscomb. 8)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
oldflame wrote:Back to the 2019 recruiting class. We have one scholarship remaining as things stand now. Per verbalcommits, we have 5 offers out. I notified them of Rode´s commit, but they haven´t updated it yet.

By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:Back to the 2019 recruiting class. We have one scholarship remaining as things stand now. Per verbalcommits, we have 5 offers out.

This is a big decision between the three, but I would prefer Caleb Mills as well. What I also like about him is his ball handling. It's great to see that other good basketball programs that offer him like Cincinnati, UNCG and George Mason.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I don´t know what our chances are with Mills. We offered him early, and as you pointed out, he has since gotten offers from several good programs. It may be telling that we recently offered both Hellums and McBride. How awesome would it be though, before playing our first ASUN game, to announce our presence by beating out the defending champions and pre-season favorites for 2 key recruits.
By cruzan_flame13
That would be great and could spark a little tension which may possibly develop a rivalry lol. Is it weird though that it has been quiet on the recruiting end for Mills or am I just unaware of any information on him? It has been awhile since I've heard anything about the prospect.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That would be great and could spark a little tension which may possibly develop a rivalry lol. Is it weird though that it has been quiet on the recruiting end for Mills or am I just unaware of any information on him? It has been awhile since I've heard anything about the prospect.
Most recent thing I have heard is that Houston is now in the mix, although no announced offer yet.
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That would be great and could spark a little tension which may possibly develop a rivalry lol. Is it weird though that it has been quiet on the recruiting end for Mills or am I just unaware of any information on him? It has been awhile since I've heard anything about the prospect.
Most recent thing I have heard is that Houston is now in the mix, although no announced offer yet.
I can see why Houston is taking a look at him:

[youtube]ROo1kb-aLMo[/youtube]
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]