This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

People will need to start using Simon road (which is beside the Old Navy/Kohl's shopping center) if they're heading towards Airport/ Leesville Rd. It's been awhile since I've headed in the direction of Wards heading past the airport, but is it possible to create an extra lane on both sides (or at least one)? What if the close some the two entrances of Wal Mart and make consumers use the back road of Sam's Club? I don't think the other side where the restaurants are located will be a good idea. By the way, I'm just asking out of speculation.
Class of 20Something wrote:Wards isn't even bad. All these country folk want all the convenience of the big city without any of the traffic.
This is true. I lived in NOVA/D.C. and Chicago; Lynchburg is not even close lol.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:People will need to start using Simon road (which is beside the Old Navy/Kohl's shopping center) if they're heading towards Airport/ Leesville Rd. It's been awhile since I've headed in the direction of Wards heading past the airport, but is it possible to create an extra lane on both sides (or at least one)? What if the close some the two entrances of Wal Mart and make consumers use the back road of Sam's Club? I don't think the other side where the restaurants are located will be a good idea. By the way, I'm just asking out of speculation.
Simons Run is where the Centra facility and the new hotel are going. I imagine the road will eventually need upgrading to handle the added traffic as well as a traffic light where it intersects Leesville.
As for Ward Road, it is much better than it used to be. I would like to see better access for the shopping centers from the back side (Wards Ferry, Atlanta Ave) but that is a lot of residential neighborhoods, so I don't know if that's feasible or not.
alabama24 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:People will need to start using Simon road
...but there isn't easy access to it from Ward's Rd! You have to turn into the Kohl's parking lot to access it!
The issue is it's so close to 460, it would be a nightmare to reroute and a nightmare intersection, barring a massive two lane roundabout.
If one wants traffic problems, just go to UNC at Chapel Hill and try to get to the baseball stadium. That's more difficult that when in Desert Storm, I had to go 120 miles into Iraq, driving under "black-out conditions" (no headlights).
To make matters worst UNC has closed Ridge Road which goes by the stadium. UNC has more parking problems than any campus I have been to for a ball game.
Ballcoach, how did Setson do?
My .02 worth as far as real estate --- but!
Lynchburg is above average for income up to the 50 thousand range, taxes fair, larger movement of professional and technical business coming in should raise upper level income status. Given this real estate values will rise with demand. Cost of living is attractive. Fairly friendly cost of doing business. Invest now!
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Wards isn't even bad. All these country folk want all the convenience of the big city without any of the traffic.
This is true. I lived in NOVA/D.C. and Chicago; Lynchburg is not even close lol.
That’s the point, we don’t live there so traffic shouldn’t be a problem. Yes comparatively it’s no big deal, but we aren’t them. I decided to move here so I DIDNT have to sit in traffic for 40 minutes to go 2 miles. I didn’t move to Forest because I DONT live in a big city so I don’t need neighbors on top of me and I don’t need the amount of traffic from Goode to Lakeside. Nope.

Lynchburg is growing and that’s great. They have a much better opportunity to deal with these traffic problems early that other cities did not. Instead, the County and the City and the University bicker, and one day you will wake up and that stretch of road WILL be as bad a stretch of road as anywhere
ballcoach15 wrote:I am amazed at the number of people I have met who live in Forest and take 221 when going to LU. When I travel from Forest to LU I take Turkey Foot road to 460, then straight shot to LU.
Good for you :dontgetit
ballcoach15 wrote:I am amazed at the number of people I have met who live in Forest and take 221 when going to LU
I take 221 to 501 South.
ballcoach15 wrote:What is purpose of hearings ?
Thehearings are mainly to have LU explain how the construction will impact the area- mainly in the way of traffic. Should sail smoothly through Planning and Council. This is part of the process that LU follows with the zoning they have. The city would basically monitor to ensure that LU follows their master plan and doesn't exceed the parameters that they set for themselves.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]