This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I noticed today that they are paving a new parking lot next to the Tower Theatre, just in time for graduation this Saturday. :clapping
Yes, with asphalt.
LUAlum1215 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Did you see it being paved? I thought a parking garage was going in there.
A garage will eventually be built but for now just a parking lot. This was changed a couple of months ago.
I would think that a better spot for a garage would be in between the LaHaye rink and the rec center. Much bigger footprint and you could still keep the road through the center.
rogers3 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Did you see it being paved? I thought a parking garage was going in there.
A garage will eventually be built but for now just a parking lot. This was changed a couple of months ago.
I would think that a better spot for a garage would be in between the LaHaye rink and the rec center. Much bigger footprint and you could still keep the road through the center.

That's one of the better designs for ingress and egress
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That wouldn’t fit with the walking campus idea. If anything the garage will be behind the student recreation center or the LIC and all the parking lots in between will transition into a lawn area.
Well, walking all the way through that lot to a smaller garage closer to Candlers Mtn. Rd. just for the sake of walking is silly. There is nothing down there to walk to except LCA and the Tower Theater. A lot as a “hub” for venues all around it seems to make sense.
rogers3 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:
The road through the center has been gone for at least two years now; it’s all parking lot with access lanes on the perimeter. Having the garage closer to the edge of campus make egress easier. Once cars leave the garage they’re immediately dumping off campus. Yes, it means more walking once you’ve parked but that is the point of a walking campus.
rogers3 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That wouldn’t fit with the walking campus idea. If anything the garage will be behind the student recreation center or the LIC and all the parking lots in between will transition into a lawn area.
Well, walking all the way through that lot to a smaller garage closer to Candlers Mtn. Rd. just for the sake of walking is silly. There is nothing down there to walk to except LCA and the Tower Theater. A lot as a “hub” for venues all around it seems to make sense.
Do you believe that LU will use all those lot to create a mega parking garage? They are still expecting the growth of student residents to reach 16k and maybe a little over. That area may help create necessary facilities/buildings if needed and that will include a lawn to continue the design from main campus. I don’t see how that could be depicted as silly. Of course this wouldn’t occur anytime soon but we’ll see what happens.
LUAlum1215 wrote:
The road through the center has been gone for at least two years now; it’s all parking lot with access lanes on the perimeter. Having the garage closer to the edge of campus make egress easier. Once cars leave the garage they’re immediately dumping off campus. Yes, it means more walking once you’ve parked but that is the point of a walking campus.
When you zoom in on Google it shows the road still there, but the indoor practice facility disappears, too. Still think that having parking more central makes sense. Last parking facility that I remember being mentioned was at the tunnel on East Campus. I think it was Jerry who indicated that would happen with the new basketball facility.
Yea, 3D and 2D on google maps shows two different pictures. They have already installed the silt fencing where the dorms on east will be demolished for the garage. That project is underway with the new exit ramp from 460.
ballcoach15 wrote:Did Jerry,Jr make any "big" announcements at commencement today ?
I might be mistaken, but I think he turned to a naval officer on stage and said we have a game coming up against Navy. If we get a game with Navy before ODU does that's going to sting! I'm pretty sure he said Navy, I was thinking Army?
thepostman wrote:Or Jerry doesn't know the difference between the Navy and Army and just thinks the entire military is the Army. Which is more normal than it should be.

And insulting
Well the Army Air Corps is pretty awesome with their Long range bombers and missiles
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]