This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

olldflame wrote:Greta Van Fleet will be in Floyd VA on July 27 at "Floydfest". One of the few dates on their current tour not sold out yet. I posted a link on how they got their name by taking the n out of Gretna in one of the softball threads.

http://floydfest.com/lineup/

For those who don't know, the band is 3 brothers from a small town in Michigan and their best friend, and they just played Coachella and brought down the house. In a recent interview, Robert Plant gave serious props to the band and their "beautiful little singer" (Josh Kiszka, who sounds a lot like him). Josh and his twin brother Jake on guitar (being compared to Jimmy Page) are 22 and little brother Sam on bass/keyboards and drummer Danny Wagner are 19. They really do sound a lot like Led Zeppelin, but they grew up listening to their dad's huge collection of blues on vinyl, which was pretty much how LZ got their sound, and they write all their own songs.

If I were still in the burg, I would be going to this one. I think they are going to be huge, and would love to catch them before they get jaded.
We caught their full set at Carolina Rebellion on Sunday and they’re incredible live. I still can’t figure out if they’re just ripping off Zeppelin, but they were great. The singer sounds like Plant, the guitarist sounds like Page and the drummer plays Bonzo solos. Probably the highlight of our day which is saying something since Queens of the Stone Age and Muse were also amazing along with several great metal shows including Red Fang and Baroness and some old school post-hardcore from Quicksand.
I'm so jealous of adam right now. As you can probably tell, I've become a long-distance fan of GVF, and in addition to listening to everything they have recorded, I've also seen several interviews of the band on Youtube. They seem to understand the comparisons to Zeppelin, and are understandably flattered, while at the same time admitting it's getting old. They are adamant that they grew up listening to blues, funk and Motown and really didn't know much about LZ until after they started the band. They did do some Zeppelin covers (as well as others) when they were just starting out (playing biker bars when little brother Sam was 12) but have been doing pretty much exclusively their own music the last few years. I think the only cover in their current set is of "Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. They seem to be committed to moving on and developing their own sound, but the comparisons, especially with the vocals, are probably always going to be there.
Floydfest looks like it should be a blast. GVF must have been booked before they caught fire the last few months, because they are not even one of the 4 headliners, which include Gov't Mule, with former Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead guitarist Warren Haynes.
olldflame wrote:I'm so jealous of adam right now. As you can probably tell, I've become a long-distance fan of GVF, and in addition to listening to everything they have recorded, I've also seen several interviews of the band on Youtube. They seem to understand the comparisons to Zeppelin, and are understandably flattered, while at the same time admitting it's getting old. They are adamant that they grew up listening to blues, funk and Motown and really didn't know much about LZ until after they started the band. They did do some Zeppelin covers (as well as others) when they were just starting out (playing biker bars when little brother Sam was 12) but have been doing pretty much exclusively their own music the last few years. I think the only cover in their current set is of "Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. They seem to be committed to moving on and developing their own sound, but the comparisons, especially with the vocals, are probably always going to be there.
I think they’re full of it when they act like they weren’t fully familiar with, if not outright copying, Zeppelin. The lead singer even does many of Plant’s hand gestures and mannerisms on stage. I honestly think you could fool most people into believing some of their songs are lost Led Zeppeling recordings.

[youtube]VCSayVA_3Cc[/youtube]

EDIT: I can never remember how to embed YouTube.
adam42381 wrote:
olldflame wrote:I'm so jealous of adam right now. As you can probably tell, I've become a long-distance fan of GVF, and in addition to listening to everything they have recorded, I've also seen several interviews of the band on Youtube. They seem to understand the comparisons to Zeppelin, and are understandably flattered, while at the same time admitting it's getting old. They are adamant that they grew up listening to blues, funk and Motown and really didn't know much about LZ until after they started the band. They did do some Zeppelin covers (as well as others) when they were just starting out (playing biker bars when little brother Sam was 12) but have been doing pretty much exclusively their own music the last few years. I think the only cover in their current set is of "Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. They seem to be committed to moving on and developing their own sound, but the comparisons, especially with the vocals, are probably always going to be there.
I think they’re full of it when they act like they weren’t fully familiar with, if not outright copying, Zeppelin. The lead singer even does many of Plant’s hand gestures and mannerisms on stage. I honestly think you could fool most people into believing some of their songs are lost Led Zeppeling recordings.

Youtube video of that exact thing actually happening with Old-timers from my generation who grew up on Zep listening to GVF.

I haven't forgotten how to embed youtube..... I never knew. :oops:

I agree that they were probably more influenced by LZ than they like to say, but I think they are just tired of the question and want to move on.

The comparison that is not going away is the voice, but what do you want the kid to do when he was gifted with a set of pipes like that? Go all innocuous and try to sound like Glenn Frey? As far as the mannerisms, yes there are similarities with Plant, but you could say the same for Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler.
olldflame wrote:
adam42381 wrote:

Youtube video of that exact thing actually happening with Old-timers from my generation who grew up on Zep listening to GVF.

I haven't forgotten how to embed youtube..... I never knew. :oops:

I agree that they were probably more influenced by LZ than they like to say, but I think they are just tired of the question and want to move on.

The comparison that is not going away is the voice, but what do you want the kid to do when he was gifted with a set of pipes like that? Go all innocuous and try to sound like Glenn Frey? As far as the mannerisms, yes there are similarities with Plant, but you could say the same for Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler.
HOLY SHNIKES!!!!! Just got around to listening. I haven’t heard vocals that close to Plant since David Coverdale. The rest sounds like early light on production Zepplin but how in the world can you NOT draw comparisons?
Couldn't find a live performance video of this one, but IMHO you really get to hear what Josh is capable of on this cover of Sam Cooke's "Change is Gonna Come".

[youtube]XuM1FzIgRxs[/youtube]

Robert Plant channeling Janis Joplin.

They have their first full album of all original songs coming out in the next few months. Hoping along with the stuff like "Highway Tune" and "Black Smoke Rising" there will be more of this kind of bluesy sound as well as a couple where Jake, the guitarist, gets to really show off. The talk is mostly about Josh, for obvious reasons, but Jake is the real deal, and the reason the band exists.
got to see Underoath last week. Dude kinda suprised a lionshare of the audience by dropping a bunch of fbombs. i've seen them before and they aren't great live and this wasn't any different. it was ok. i went for Dance Gavin Dance. upon further research returning home their lead singer is a huge twat and using sentences like "moving beyond the realm of seemingly impenetrable polemics". i'm like sorry boys you aren't good enough to make it outside the realm of T&N/SS records.
dudes been a drug adled numbskull a few years after they started touring. i mean we all got issues but this guy has been a victim for the past 10 years. its why they broke up.
Thinking about driving down to Charlotte next Thursday to see Slayer with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Behemoth and Testament. Not a huge thrash metal fan, but I’ll probably grab a lawn ticket and drive down anyway.
adam42381 wrote:Thinking about driving down to Charlotte next Thursday to see Slayer with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Behemoth and Testament. Not a huge thrash metal fan, but I’ll probably grab a lawn ticket and drive down anyway.
Friend of mine just saw Slayer. Said they were still just as good as ever. They did lose cool points though because they were drinking WINE during the concert. Seriously?
I’m not a Lamb of God Fan but Anthrax and Testament would be good.

VERY pumped about Kings X on Saturday!! I know it’s a small venue etc. but I love their music
RubberMallet wrote:got to see Underoath last week. Dude kinda suprised a lionshare of the audience by dropping a bunch of fbombs. i've seen them before and they aren't great live and this wasn't any different. it was ok. i went for Dance Gavin Dance. upon further research returning home their lead singer is a huge twat and using sentences like "moving beyond the realm of seemingly impenetrable polemics". i'm like sorry boys you aren't good enough to make it outside the realm of T&N/SS records.
It's so odd. I mean I'm not one to care about language but there is just something weird about it. Seems almost forced just so they can finally declare they aren't a Christian band anymore. They are often combative in their interviews and it isn't at all a good look.
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Thinking about driving down to Charlotte next Thursday to see Slayer with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Behemoth and Testament. Not a huge thrash metal fan, but I’ll probably grab a lawn ticket and drive down anyway.
Friend of mine just saw Slayer. Said they were still just as good as ever. They did lose cool points though because they were drinking WINE during the concert. Seriously?

VERY pumped about Kings X on Saturday!! I know it’s a small venue etc. but I love their music
Let me know how The Ramkat is. Haven’t made it over there yet.
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Will do. Sounds like they are really promoting it well.
halestorm
In this moment
Chris Stapleton
Darius Rucker
lady antebellum
Marilyn Manson
Rob zombie
Rock allegiance festival

(What I got planned or have seen so far )
PAmedic wrote:halestorm
In this moment
Chris Stapleton
Darius Rucker
lady antebellum
Marilyn Manson
Rob zombie
Rock allegiance festival

(What I got planned or have seen so far )
Wanna see Stapleton.
Yeah I’m a bit eclectic.

Stapleton is awesome. We’ve seen him before.

Definitely recommend
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Can’t believe I waited 30years to see Kings X. Man, they may be the most underrated rock band of all time. I’m also partial to heavy bass lines so they are right up my alley. Got to ‘Mert and Greet’ after the show. Ty and Jerry were awesome. DuG was distracted by something else but he was pretty cool too! I could go on and on. They are one of my Top 4 All Time Bands and they did not disappoint!!

As for the Ramkat, it’s a solid set up. I was in the Balcony tables which I’m a fan of doing. BUT get the 3 top as opposed to the 4 too. The 3 tops are right on the railing and can block the views of the 4 tops. Large Adult Soda collection.
oldflame wrote:Did they do the encore of Goldilox where they just play and the audience sings the whole thing?
WOW. Good call. I didn’t know that was a thing, but yes they did. It was their final Encore tune. I have it posted on my FB page. It was REALLY cool.
Can’t believe dUg is 68!
Decided to slide down to Charlotte after work toda to catch STYX/Joan Jett/Tesla. The deciding factor was I got Box seats for about $20!!

Tesla is such a good band. They kinda flamed out after their big hits but man, they were good hits. They were the reason I wanted to go and they did not disappoint
Joan was solid. Her 3 song finale of Crimson and Clover/I Love Rock and Roll / I hate Myself for Lovin you was the highlight and she nailed it
STYX is STYX and they always deliver. Two big notables. Mr Roboto is in their rotation for the first time since ever. And Tommy Shaw had laryngitis but still performed. Dudes a gamer
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]