This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
Jackson’s biggest recruits for his first year were DJ Artis and Jack DeGroat. He had to convince those guys to stay before he could convince new guys to come.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Give Coach Jackson time and he will have LU ranked in Top 25.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Let me break it down for you. All 3 coaches were employed and coaching at other schools. Hence they know the lay of the land and who is available. In fact we have a feeder system of juco coaches that reach out to the school for baseball regardless of who is the coach letting them know who to take a look at. In fact most juco guys dont get a chance simply because its generally frowned upon by most staffs and looked at as a band aid. I agree but there are certain instances where it makes sense and bridging the gap between coahes is one of them. Toman relied too heavily on it until he whiffed a couple years and then it cost him. You dont have to beleive me but i know personally 2 of the juco coaches that have sent multiple studs to us in the past 5 to 7 years and thats exactly how it works. Its up to the coach which route they take. Jackson opted for the complete rebuild via HS route with todd and galazin really being the exceptions. So. Yes it is def that easy but its all about each coaches philsophy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Let me break it down for you. All 3 coaches were employed and coaching at other schools. Hence they know the lay of the land and who is available. In fact we have a feeder system of juco coaches that reach out to the school for baseball regardless of who is the coach letting them know who to take a look at. In fact most juco guys dont get a chance simply because its generally frowned upon by most staffs and looked at as a band aid. I agree but there are certain instances where it makes sense and bridging the gap between coahes is one of them. Toman relied too heavily on it until he whiffed a couple years and then it cost him. You dont have to beleive me but i know personally 2 of the juco coaches that have sent multiple studs to us in the past 5 to 7 years and thats exactly how it works. Its up to the coach which route they take. Jackson opted for the complete rebuild via HS route with todd and galazin really being the exceptions. So. Yes it is def that easy but its all about each coaches philsophy.
I'm sure JK37 is happy that you straightened him out on how things work in college recruiting.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Im with flameshaw...
Those are 3 words you seldom see in the same sentence. Crybaby
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I only answered a direct challenge with facts. Im only talking juco baseball college recruiting. To say otherwise is disengenious. Every word of what i said is true. The thought that you cant land juco players in a years time is ludicruous. Those kids are hungry for opportunity and the coaches makes recommendations to d1 coaches including us every single
Year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:I only answered a direct challenge with facts. Im only talking juco baseball college recruiting. To say otherwise is disengenious. Every word of what i said is true. The thought that you cant land juco players in a years time is ludicruous. Those kids are hungry for opportunity and the coaches makes recommendations to d1 coaches including us every single
Year.
You said exactly the same thing about football.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
My point was that if any prospect - HS or JuCo - is good, it's not simple to get them. If a kid is easy to recruit, there's a reason.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
False. I dont know football juco coaches personally as i do baseball. 2 totally different points. Jk. Agreed in general however jucos are often overlooked because the market isnt that strong for them. I can promise you in baseball we have tons of interest from all 3 programs i know well. Think 2 of our best relievers and 2 aces and one of the best power hitters in recent years. There is loads of talent in the jucos and some are fits. Not all but some. Baseball is easier to find fits for LU imho

Football was simple. We need d lineman. They did the same thing this year. The juco d lineman we took had no offers to speak of i just said we should have added a couple more last summer which was proven true for depth if nothing else.

The 2 primary scenarios for bulk jucos are coaching changes and fbs transition.
By Jonathan Carone
Or maybe he didn’t want to have a quick fix with guys who may not fit the culture he was wanting to build and instead took the slow and steady route to truly build the program.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Thats a valid point. I keep saying it. i like jackson. Just analyzing where we are etc. i just think were in a bit of a dangerous place talent wise. Subtract todd and artis and its kinda scary next year. We cant afford to totally tear it down and comp will be better next year in asun.

HS players are very difficult to evaluate. Competition is so varied and everybody is in on the obvious guys with plus velocity and core power. Projecting the rest is very difficult. Jucos floors are higher but their ceiling is usually lower with the exceptions being the tre todds.
By Jonathan Carone
Our roster was in a really bad place when Jackson got here. We had a lot of the same type of player without much versatility. The studs at the top were really, really good but the rest of the roster hadn't been developed. It was a tough place to be.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]