This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Several projects were announced this morning at Convo on the Lawn. Namely the FOC expansion was announced with a brief image shown. The first thought I had when I saw it was the rendering Troy posted of theirs. That was probably the biggest athletics related project. They are building the School of Engineering adjacent to the School of Business, not down 460 at the CAER site in New London. The Hill dorms are being expanded to include a 4th level and common area, and Camp Hydaway lake will be expanded from its current 6 acres to 30 acres. He also said there were several stores in the works to move in to the mall. I’m sure I forgot something but those are the ones that stick out. I’m sure the school will be publishing something soon.
As I go through all the great pics you guys are posting on both this thread and the Football thread....I am just awe struck at how our university has and is growing. It seems like just yesterday we were simply a small quaint Christian college tucked at the foot of the Virginia mountains. I think we are blessed with being alive to see this monumental expansion of our university. I generally don't make the trip until football season, but I don't think I can wait to see all that is going on in person. Makes me wish I were a student again.
LUAlum1215 wrote:Several projects were announced this morning at Convo on the Lawn. Namely the FOC expansion was announced with a brief image shown. The first thought I had when I saw it was the rendering Troy posted of theirs. That was probably the biggest athletics related project. They are building the School of Engineering adjacent to the School of Business, not down 460 at the CAER site in New London. The Hill dorms are being expanded to include a 4th level and common area, and Camp Hydaway lake will be expanded from its current 6 acres to 30 acres. He also said there were several stores in the works to move in to the mall. I’m sure I forgot something but those are the ones that stick out. I’m sure the school will be publishing something soon.
When you say adjacent, are you implying that the school of business will be located where the parking lots and bookstore is located right now?
The school of business is where religion hall used to be. I’m not certain on which side of SOB the engineering school will be on, but I’m thinking the large parking lot (speakman lot) behind the bookstore as there isn’t much room on the opposite side of SOB.

Also, did anyone else catch that they used the old logo on the banner tape in the new arena rendering?
I was about to question the plan to put engineering way out in New London. Made no sense to me--even if buildings were free. Glad I heard wrong. It needs to be on campus. New London can be used for research projects etc.
20Something, your wife is a genius, but she might want to add Aeronautics to her list.
Cider Jim wrote:20Something, your wife is a genius, but she might want to add Aeronautics to her list.
I don't tell her that enough. The school of Aeronautics has exploded as well. You're right!

We did discuss that we really love the idea of some of the post grad schools surrounding LUCOM and creating "Graduate Hill"
What would be awesome is if the renovated FOC can design the hallway leading out towards the Bill to be lit like it is engulf with flames. Imagine the team coming out that hallway to actual flames when they hit the turf! The flying eagle is still another additional option as well lol.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:The flying eagle is still another additional option as well lol.
YES! Don't they do this at Auburn's home games? We need to make this happen.
Cider Jim wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:The flying eagle is still another additional option as well lol.
YES! Don't they do this at Auburn's home games? We need to make this happen.
It needs to launch from snowflex or the monogram. I want that guy to be cruising when he enters the stadium.
BuryYourDuke wrote:Why not have an eagle fly in, take a mallet out of the hand of a giant statue of Benjamin Franklin conversing with Dr. Falwell, fly over and strike a giant (much, much larger than the real thing) Liberty Bell! Also, lets have its wings dipped in some sort of napalm and light them before he takes off from the mountain, that way he will really be FLAMING! Then, a choir of animatronic founding father type characters will join the crowd (and team of course) in Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud To Be An American". Each player will then sign their signature to a "Declaration" to kick butt on the field before kickoff!!!! Also, Ronald Reagan holograms to greet fans as they enter the stadium (I know that goes without saying, just thought I would throw out an obvious suggestion).

:roll:
"This issss theeee EXXXXX-EFFFFFF-ELLLLLLLLLLLL"

Yeah. That settles it. Bruce Buffer and Vince McMahon on the MC and PA duties.
Do they make a drone that looks like an eagle? :wink:
I always liked the idea of a "University Chapel" at the other end of the lawn. I know they'd have some height restrictions being that close to the end of the runway, but it could still look really good (from both the lawn & 460).
Old Red wrote:I always liked the idea of a "University Chapel" at the other end of the lawn. I know they'd have some height restrictions being that close to the end of the runway, but it could still look really good (from both the lawn & 460).
It is still available in the master plan so that idea can still be possible.
Old Red wrote:I always liked the idea of a "University Chapel" at the other end of the lawn. I know they'd have some height restrictions being that close to the end of the runway, but it could still look really good (from both the lawn & 460).
I don't think that would be an issue unless it were taller than the dorms already there.
So what style are we expecting? The campus is jeffersonian. Would we expect an oversized Chapel in red brick or something wooden and white? Something entirely different all together? There is already the chapel on the Hill that is seemingly unused. Would creating a Baptist cathedral be worth it? Something like Thorncrown may be what the admin is looking at.
Class of 20Something wrote:So what style are we expecting? The campus is jeffersonian. Would we expect an oversized Chapel in red brick or something wooden and white? Something entirely different all together? There is already the chapel on the Hill that is seemingly unused. Would creating a Baptist cathedral be worth it? Something like Thorncrown may be what the admin is looking at.
https://www.liberty.edu/journal/article ... he-future/
(The pictures will change on it own and sketch of the chapel will be included)

As stated:
"A new prayer chapel is being planned near the south residential quad. Seating about 225, the new chapel will not only be a place for students, faculty, and staff to pray daily, but will also become an additional venue for weddings, which can be held inside or outside under an atrium. There is no expected start date for this project, but planners hope to have it constructed in the next three years."
Looks nicer than UVa's. :clapping
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]