If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Mawdo Sallah, a 6'8" 225 PF from K State, who was a 3 star recruit out of HS, is transferring to Radford, and will be eligible immediately.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/mawdo-sallah

RS JR with 2 years remaining. Played about 8 minutes a game and averaged 2 points and 2 rebounds last year for the Wildcats. Doesn't exactly make me quiver in my boots, but he should make an already tough Radford team better/deeper.

Sallah actually started his career at Mt. St. Marys before transferring to K-State. I think there is someone on the board who may have seen him play there.

Looks like other than Liberty's pickup of Keenon Gumbs, the only other transfer coming to the BSC so far is Travis Ingram, a 6'3" guard who is moving from Towson to Hampton, and will sit a year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
UNCA's new coach has his work cut out for him. In addition to losing Thomas, Vanetta, Miller and Wnuk to graduation and Macio Teague and G Drew Rackley to transfer, 6'9" PF Jonathon Bahre, one of the top shot blockers in the BSC last year in addition to his 7 points and 5 boards, is now headed to Clemson. That is their top 7 scorers from last year. :shock:

Top returner is 6'7" Donovan Gilmore, who averaged 3 pts and 3 rbds.

From the "glass half full" perspective, they can most definitely offer a solid opportunity for PT to recruits and potential transfers, and everyone will be on a level playing field with a new coach and system.

This just in....... Macio Teague has committed to Baylor. Sit 1, play 2.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Just announced that 6'7" SG Jax Levitch, who was a starter as a SO for Fort Wayne last year (scored 14 points on 4-6 3 point shooting against Liberty) is transferring to UNCA. Nice pickup after losing Teague, but of course he will have to sit a year before playing 2.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Johnson wasn't the splashy hire some of us were hoping for, but it is consistent with Ritchie's recent pattern. There is a ton of experience and familiarity with the trio of McKay, Soucie and Getter. With the hires of Pierre and Johnson, we get 2 young, energetic guys who have been with successful programs. I'm good with it. Still hoping though that Mark Price will decide to relocate to the burg to follow his son's career, and perhaps help out on a volunteer basis.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Well, after all these years of familiarity with the BSC, it's time to research and find out what we are facing in the A-Sun next year. FGCU has certainly been the top dog there the last several years, but they have some real challenges coming up. After being upset by Lipscomb in the tourney final this year, their coach has moved on to St. Louis of the A-10. To replace him they hired from within, promoting the former top assistant. In addition, they are losing 4 of their top 5 scorers to either graduation or transfer (a total of 54ppg) Looks like they will be big, with some size coming back as well as 3 star 7 foot JUCO Raekwon Long coming in. Guard play will be an issue, and they will need 3 star FR PG Zach Scott to contribute right away. More to come.
Last edited by olldflame on May 18th, 2018, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:Anyone else in the conference use the pack-line?
I don't know the answer to that, but I hope it's NO. 8)

If the A-Sun teams have not faced it, we will have an edge in that area for a year or so. It was pretty much a wash in the BSC, because we were learning the system at the same time as opponents were learning to play against it. Now, we would have a head start.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’ll be interested to see when FGC comes to town as well
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Well, after all these years of familiarity with the BSC, it's time to research and find out what we are facing in the A-Sun next year. FGCU has certainly been the top dog there the last several years, but they have some real challenges coming up. After being upset by Lipscomb in the tourney final this year, their coach has moved on to St. Louis of the A-10. To replace him they hired from within, promoting the former top assistant. In addition, they are losing 4 of their top 5 scorers to either graduation or transfer (a total of 54ppg) Looks like they will be big, with some size coming back as well as 3 star 7 foot JUCO Raekwon Long coming in. Guard play will be an issue, and they will need 3 star FR PG Zach Scott to contribute right away. More to come.
The FGCU coach went to East Carolina, not Saint Louis. Not calling you out, per se, but I had to look it up because I was shocked Travis Ford would have left Saint Louis after just two years. Anyway, carry on.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:
olldflame wrote:Well, after all these years of familiarity with the BSC, it's time to research and find out what we are facing in the A-Sun next year. FGCU has certainly been the top dog there the last several years, but they have some real challenges coming up. After being upset by Lipscomb in the tourney final this year, their coach has moved on to St. Louis of the A-10. To replace him they hired from within, promoting the former top assistant. In addition, they are losing 4 of their top 5 scorers to either graduation or transfer (a total of 54ppg) Looks like they will be big, with some size coming back as well as 3 star 7 foot JUCO Raekwon Long coming in. Guard play will be an issue, and they will need 3 star FR PG Zach Scott to contribute right away. More to come.
The FGCU coach went to East Carolina, not Saint Louis. Not calling you out, per se, but I had to look it up because I was shocked Travis Ford would have left Saint Louis after just two years. Anyway, carry on.
Thanks for setting that straight. I honestly don't know how I came up with that.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I know there are some who are hyping this as a big step up for MBB. I see it as far as exposure is concerned, but not in the overall strength of the conference. Lipscomb will be tough and FGCU has established a solid base, but has a significant rebuilding job ahead of them. The rest of the conference is pretty bad (as in worse than the BSC) Anything less than 3rd place will be a major disappointment IMHO, and I believe we can do better than that. WBB is an entirely different matter. They will need to step up their game. Softball has a high RPI, but KSU won the championship, and based on the last 2 post seasons,we are better than them. Baseball is going to be tough, but the move should significantly help recruiting, as it will in softball and most other sports.
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote:I know there are some who are hyping this as a big step up for MBB. I see it as far as exposure is concerned, but not in the overall strength of the conference. Lipscomb will be tough and FGCU has established a solid base, but has a significant rebuilding job ahead of them. The rest of the conference is pretty bad (as in worse than the BSC) Anything less than 3rd place will be a major disappointment IMHO, and I believe we can do better than that. WBB is an entirely different matter. They will need to step up their game. Softball has a high RPI, but KSU won the championship, and based on the last 2 post seasons,we are better than them. Baseball is going to be tough, but the move should significantly help recruiting, as it will in softball and most other sports.
I'm guessing the rumors about other schools joining the ASUN is dead now? Also I thought North Alabama had a good men's b-ball team?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I know there are some who are hyping this as a big step up for MBB. I see it as far as exposure is concerned, but not in the overall strength of the conference. Lipscomb will be tough and FGCU has established a solid base, but has a significant rebuilding job ahead of them. The rest of the conference is pretty bad (as in worse than the BSC) Anything less than 3rd place will be a major disappointment IMHO, and I believe we can do better than that. WBB is an entirely different matter. They will need to step up their game. Softball has a high RPI, but KSU won the championship, and based on the last 2 post seasons,we are better than them. Baseball is going to be tough, but the move should significantly help recruiting, as it will in softball and most other sports.
Well I’m right and you’re wrong. So na na nana boo boo :lol:
By Jonathan Carone
It's definitely a top heavy league.

The best thing I saw in the post from ASOR is the seeding for the ASun champion the past few years. While the RPI has been down for the league, those teams have been able to get themselves off the 16 line.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
I'm guessing the rumors about other schools joining the ASUN is dead now? Also I thought North Alabama had a good men's b-ball team?
I don't think so. Not sure what the deadline would be on that, but I think there is still time to get it done for the 2018-19 season, and of course not happening this year wouldn't mean it won't happen.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Big South is going to be really bad outside of Radford. With the addition of us and them losing their version of Longwood the RPI should dramatically change.

Also FGCU has some transfers that are eligible this year that will have a major impact so I wouldn’t say that they’re in a major rebuilding mode. UNF returns all 5 starters as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Big South is going to be really bad outside of Radford. With the addition of us and them losing their version of Longwood the RPI should dramatically change.

Also FGCU has some transfers that are eligible this year that will have a major impact so I wouldn’t say that they’re in a major rebuilding mode. UNF returns all 5 starters as well.

Everyone always says transfers will have a major impact. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. When you lose 5 of your top 6 scorers AND your coach, you are rebuilding. They could still be good, but they have their work cut out for them.

As far as N Florida is concerned, they were 14-19. If those 5 guys are still starters, I'm not too worried about them. If not, maybe they upgraded.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Isaiah Williams is transferring to Pensacola State College a JUCO in the same conference as Tallahassee Community College, where Xzavier Barmore played last year.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Honestly I believe it is probably too late for any more schools to be competing in a new conference in less than three months. The fact that we had been dropped down to an associate member status is why we were able to do it so cleanly & efficiently. I would suspect that any further moves would be for the 2019-2020 school year.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]