This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We get the win in game 1 of the series 4-0 on a combined 5-hitter by Price and Bertsch, striking out 15.

Looks like we underestimated the ability of Jackson and Gaines to make chicken salad out of chicken poop with so many pitchers down. Our projections of 25 wins are looking way low now. 20-12 and on a roll!
By WestPAGator
This is a quote from the press conference held when Scott Jackson was introduced as LU’s new HC in July 2016. It doesn’t seem like he still feels this way.

“I want to win with the kids that are in this program right now. I’m not looking to recruit past them. I’m not looking to do anything that’s a knee-jerk reaction. … These are Liberty’s players, and I’m excited to be with them,” the first-time head coach said. “We’re going to go to war with those guys, and we’re going to win with them this year.”
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
WestPAGator wrote:This is a quote from the press conference held when Scott Jackson was introduced as LU’s new HC in July 2016. It doesn’t seem like he still feels this way.

“I want to win with the kids that are in this program right now. I’m not looking to recruit past them. I’m not looking to do anything that’s a knee-jerk reaction. … These are Liberty’s players, and I’m excited to be with them,” the first-time head coach said. “We’re going to go to war with those guys, and we’re going to win with them this year.”
We have won 6 out of our last 7 games, and this is what you have to say? Your agenda-driven diatribes are getting pretty old.

And for the record, last year we had a ton of Seniors on the team and Jackson did pretty much what he said he would.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We win game 2 8-4. Zach Clinton with 6+ strong innings in relief after Stamper struggled with control.

Yacyk did not play.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Due to tomorrow's weather forecast, they are playing 2 today. Game 3 to start shortly.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I dont think its an across the board issue because there arent many vets that have shown they could help in the past that are on the bench. Yacyk is the only one who has shown he can be a real difference maker and just isnt getting a ton of chances. I also dont see why we continue to trot stamper and his 6.80 era out there for 2 innings every week. Nice piece for the future but hes just not progressing yet.

Jackson has really turned around and done well the last few weeks. Im just saying tweaking a couple things could really put us over the top. We really need a RH power bat to split up all the lefties and i would still love to see tarantola get a start.

Solid weekend so far. We need a sweep here to keep lifting that rpi.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looks like we can get the broom out. 6 runs in the 6th, with a grand slam by Todd (who also hit 2 HR in the first game.) Tarantola in to pitch the 7th.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Couldn't believe Chuck South's coach went so long with his starting pitcher, who walked 2 runners home and then gave up the grand slam. LU actually had more runs than hits in this game.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Couldn't believe Chuck South's coach went so long with his starting pitcher, who walked 2 runners home and then gave up the grand slam. LU actually had more runs than hits in this game.
That wasn't the starting pitcher. Maw started. Smith is the reliever who walked in the runs and gave up the GS. Nevertheless, he was left in way too long.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We now lead the nation in walks. Individually, Todd is 1st, Artis 5th, Dylan Allen 23rd and Embry 35th.
By elvisistheking
I just don't understand why Jackson continues to dismiss the value of a right handed power bat in the lineup. Maybe these teams Liberty faces lack left-handers with talent and he knows this. Still, it sure is nice to have that right handed hitter to break up the lefties. I saw Yacyk had a token ab yesterday, guess he's not hurt. Who else besides Andrew can be relied upon to drive the ball from the right side?? I remember a time when left handed hitters were the minority, may see a wave of left-handed pitchers coming.
By Jonathan Carone
You all realize you’re making Yacyk look really bad when you come on here whining about his playing time when the team is winning, right?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:You all realize you’re making Yacyk look really bad when you come on here whining about his playing time when the team is winning, right?
This.

The people (or person; I really suspect there is one under multiple user names) who are harping about Yacyk not playing enough very clearly have an agenda, which would point to them having a personal relationship with Andrew. If that is the case, I understand how they feel, but nonetheless, it is "not a good look".

From the first time this came up, I have defended Jackson as being the one who bears the responsibility to make these decisions and will deserve the credit or blame for the results. Nonetheless, I personally would like to see Yacyk play more, but most definately NOT by moving the player who has (by the numbers) been one of the best if not THE best defensive 1st basemen in D1 to another position. While Mathieu has shown signs that he can hit lefties, I would like to see Yacyk DH against them, and then get some starts in LF as well. That is just my relatively uninformed opinion.
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:You all realize you’re making Yacyk look really bad when you come on here whining about his playing time when the team is winning, right?
This.

The people (or person; I really suspect there is one under multiple user names) who are harping about Yacyk not playing enough very clearly have an agenda, which would point to them having a personal relationship with Andrew. If that is the case, I understand how they feel, but nonetheless, it is "not a good look".

From the first time this came up, I have defended Jackson as being the one who bears the responsibility to make these decisions and will deserve the credit or blame for the results. Nonetheless, I personally would like to see Yacyk play more, but most definately NOT by moving the player who has (by the numbers) been one of the best if not THE best defensive 1st basemen in D1 to another position. While Mathieu has shown signs that he can hit lefties, I would like to see Yacyk DH against them, and then get some starts in LF as well. That is just my relatively uninformed opinion.
Olldflame, I am the one one who posted the first message on this topic. Send me a pm.
By LUDad
LUDad wrote:
olldflame wrote:
This.

Olldflame & Jon, I am the one one who posted the first message on this topic. Send me a pm.
By Jonathan Carone
There’s no need for a PM. I have nothing against Yacyk. I just want you all to know what it looks like to a coaching staff when multiple people begin questioning the coach publicly over the playing time of one player when the team is winning.
By LUDad
The coaching staff has done a great job with a depleted pitching staff and the manufacturing of runs via the walk. Thus far during conference play we have scored lots of runs but we have also left an average of 11 runners on base per game. To me, that presents an opportunity. Only chance we have of making the NCAA is via the conference tournament. At large is not an option. Yacyk has struggled this year coming off his surgery. But we all know what he is capable of from 2016. My point is that even if it costs us a game or two, it could be worth it if Yacyk could get his bat going again before tournament play. We will need to plate as many of those ducks on the pond as possible the deeper we get into the tournament. As a disclaimer, the only connection I have to Liberty is the two daughters my wife and I sent there and I only have one ID on this board. However, I do have a brother who is a HS baseball coach and know what it is like sitting in the stands and having to listen to the comments about the coaches.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:The coaching staff has done a great job with a depleted pitching staff and the manufacturing of runs via the walk. Thus far during conference play we have scored lots of runs but we have also left an average of 11 runners on base per game. To me, that presents an opportunity. Only chance we have of making the NCAA is via the conference tournament. At large is not an option. Yacyk has struggled this year coming off his surgery. But we all know what he is capable of from 2016. My point is that even if it costs us a game or two, it could be worth it if Yacyk could get his bat going again before tournament play. We will need to plate as many of those ducks on the pond as possible the deeper we get into the tournament. As a disclaimer, the only connection I have to Liberty is the two daughters my wife and I sent there and I only have one ID on this board. However, I do have a brother who is a HS baseball coach and know what it is like sitting in the stands and having to listen to the comments about the coaches.

For the record LUDad, I was referring to a couple of others who's only posts on this board have been in reference to this matter. You have been a pretty regular contributor here.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
While the at large is unlikely its not of the question after the last few weeks. Were sitting at 105. The number of quality road games left is what makes it possible but also tough. Its good in the losses wont hurt on road but we have to sweep longwood and radford at home. It would have to look something like this.

Split with duke
Beat uva road
Beat vt at home
Beat wake road
2 of 3 from st johns on road
Sweep longwood
Sweep radford
2 of 3 from Wu road
2 of 3 from hpu road

We might be able afford one more loss in there to get in the top 60 but it cant be longwood and probablt not radford either.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
UVA currently has a worse RPI than we do, and St. Johns is not nearly as good as they have been for the past few years. The Duke games are the only ones that could really give us a boost.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed there is very little room for error but its not out yet. Now if we go 1 and 3 the next 4 its out. However if we go 3 and 1 the next 4 we will be setting around 75 to 80 and right in the thick.
By Class of 20Something
So I got my little ticket in the mail for two free baseball tickets, which remaining home game is going to be the best to have a dog with a buddy at? I might take my daughter too and let her tire herself out on the playground.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think Coach Jackson should get BSC Coach of the Year, for the job he has done this season, considering the pitchers he has lost.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]