If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Just an educated guess, but I see absolutely no reason for the CIT to wait to announce it if they were planning to match US with Sam as opposed to the Winner of tonights game, and I really don't see how who wins makes much difference. I'm thinking our chances are very good for a bye, which considering our injury issues, would be GREAT.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't understand why there isn't a bracket. I get they are trying to get the host to pony up money but there shouldn't be this much guessing going into trying to figure out who we will play next in a tournament.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I don't understand why there isn't a bracket. I get they are trying to get the host to pony up money but there shouldn't be this much guessing going into trying to figure out who we will play next in a tournament.
Most of that is due to the strange number of teams and all the resulting byes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:This tournament is so poorly run.
They really need to rethink things and make changes for next year that will allow them to fill out a 32 team field. Perhaps reduce the hosting fee and aggressively pursue alternative funding. Maybe sponsorships that would be contingent on them having a 32 team field and 5 full rounds. Either that or just go with 16, which would be really weak.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
thepostman wrote:I don't understand why there isn't a bracket. I get they are trying to get the host to pony up money but there shouldn't be this much guessing going into trying to figure out who we will play next in a tournament.
But there still should be a bracket of some kind.
By walksports
So once the UL Monroe/Austin Peay game is played, they'll be down to 12 teams:

Wofford
Central Michigan
Drake
Northern Colorado
San Diego
Portland State
Liberty
Sam Houston State
UIC
Eastern Michigan
UTSA
UL Monroe/Austin Peay winner

To have quarterfinals, they have to lose four teams. They'll lose three from the games already scheduled - Central Michigan/Wofford, Drake/Northern Colorado and San Diego/Portland.

I think if UL Monroe beats Austin Peay, they'll send UL Monroe to play at Sam Houston State and Eastern Michigan, UIC, Liberty and UTSA would all join them in the quarterfinals.

If Austin Peay wins, would they send Austin Peay to play Liberty and Sam Houston go all the way to the quarters?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
walksports wrote:So once the UL Monroe/Austin Peay game is played, they'll be down to 12 teams:

Wofford
Central Michigan
Drake
Northern Colorado
San Diego
Portland State
Liberty
Sam Houston State
UIC
Eastern Michigan
UTSA
UL Monroe/Austin Peay winner

To have quarterfinals, they have to lose four teams. They'll lose three from the games already scheduled - Central Michigan/Wofford, Drake/Northern Colorado and San Diego/Portland.

I think if UL Monroe beats Austin Peay, they'll send UL Monroe to play at Sam Houston State and Eastern Michigan, UIC, Liberty and UTSA would all join them in the quarterfinals.

If Austin Peay wins, would they send Austin Peay to play Liberty and Sam Houston go all the way to the quarters?
No way do they give any team a bye all the way to the quarterfinals. That would make a travesty (or maybe I should say More of a travesty) of the entire tournament. 12 teams is what they need, 4 of the first round winners will will get byes to the quarters and the other 8 (including all 4 of the first round bye teams) will play for the other 4 quarterfinal spots.
By walksports
Didn't say it was right, made sense, etc., but if they're trying to limit travel as much as possible, I'd say that anything is on the table.

I tweeted at Angela Lento, @collegeinsider, but haven't had a reply (nor do I really expect one ... but I tried.)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For the record, the NIT really does not have a fixed bracket either. Teams are re-seeded after every round and match-ups are made accordingly. Teams do not know who they will be playing next until the committee announces it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
walksports wrote:Didn't say it was right, made sense, etc., but if they're trying to limit travel as much as possible, I'd say that anything is on the table.

I tweeted at Angela Lento, @collegeinsider, but haven't had a reply (nor do I really expect one ... but I tried.)
I'm sure they want to save travel costs where possible, but if that were the highest priority, San Diego and Portland State would not even be in the field. Travel costs for visiting teams are supposed to be paid out of the $38,500 hosting fee. That should be more than enough for almost any matchup, and the lower cost of a trip like NC A&T to Liberty can make up for it if a trip out west costs a bit too much. If they want to retain any credibility whatsoever, I really don't think anything is on the table.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
For the record, the NIT really does not have a fixed bracket either. Teams are re-seeded after every round and match-ups are made accordingly. Teams do not know who they will be playing next until the committee announces it.
This is no longer true. They do four regions, seeded 1-8, straight bracket. If you're the higher seed, you host. (With exceptions if the higher seed's home floor is unavailable.)

https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default ... t_2018.pdf
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:
olldflame wrote:
This is no longer true. They do four regions, seeded 1-8, straight bracket. If you're the higher seed, you host. (With exceptions if the higher seed's home floor is unavailable.)

https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default ... t_2018.pdf
Thanks for the correction Lang. Old information :oldhag
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
olldflame wrote:
But there still should be a bracket of some kind.
Make one for us. 8)

Where is Medic when we need him?
Come to think of it, where is Medic??????????
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
[/quote]Thanks for the correction Lang. Old information :oldhag[/quote]

No worries. I'm pretty sure when the NCAA took over the NIT, a few years back, they streamlined the bracketing process. Does make for some awkward short-turnaround trips, like Rider going to Oregon this week to get pasted.
By walksports
Well ... Eastern Michigan is going to Sam Houston State on Monday night.

Just saw this on gobearkats.com.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.d ... 1521043945

The matchup is set for the Bearkat men’s basketball team. Sam Houston will get second round play in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament on Monday night when they welcome Eastern Michigan to Johnson Coliseum.

The Bearkats (19-14 overall) received a bye in the opening round while Eastern Michigan (22-12) knocked off Niagara on Wednesday night in opening round action.

So maybe that Liberty, UIC, UTSA and the winner of UL Monroe/Austin Peay go to the quarterfinals with the winners of the four other scheduled games: CMU/Wofford, Drake/No. Colorado, San Diego/Portland State and SHSU/EMU.
Last edited by walksports on March 15th, 2018, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
walksports wrote:Well ... Eastern Michigan is going to Sam Houston State on Monday night.

Just saw this on gobearkats.com.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.d ... 1521043945

The matchup is set for the Bearkat men’s basketball team. Sam Houston will get second round play in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament on Monday night when they welcome Eastern Michigan to Johnson Coliseum.

The Bearkats (19-14 overall) received a bye in the opening round while Eastern Michigan (22-12) knocked off Niagara on Wednesday night in opening round action.
Great news for the Flames (if not for Sly, walksports, and our other Texas fans who won't get to see them play there.) We get a bye to the quarters. :clapping :pbjtime

That means at least another full week for Kemrite, Cabbel, Cuffee, and anyone else who may be dinged up to get healthy. The other side of that is it's a pretty long layoff, but we had almost as long between the BSC loss and the first round game and got through that pretty well, even with the injuries.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It looks like that is how they have worked out the quaterfinals:
  • Liberty vs. ?

Illinois-Chicago vs. ?

UTSA vs. ?

Louisiana-Monroe/Austin Peay Winner vs. ?
The 2nd Round Matchups are:
  • Central Michigan vs. Wofford

Portland State vs. San Diego

Drake vs. North Colorado

Eastern Michigan vs. Sam Houston State
The Quarterfinals are to be played March 22nd-25th. I would suspect that we would face Wofford if they get through EMU. But in this setup, anything i possible.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
If Wofford loses, then you get stuck with a directional school from Michigan or Drake, which I believe is in Iowa.

Woffords new building is nice, they host UNC next year, hosted USCe to open it. Too bad it is named after and financed by a classless old pervert.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:If Wofford loses, then you get stuck with a directional school from Michigan or Drake, which I believe is in Iowa.

Woffords new building is nice, they host UNC next year, hosted USCe to open it. Too bad it is named after and financed by a classless old pervert.
Hey, the Portland State/San Diego winner is going to be playing someone, and when you are flying that far, what's a few hundred miles here or there?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Chance for a Flames-Flames matchup is still alive!
Sounds gay
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]