If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Nothing official but Tod Shanesy, who tweets Wofford sports stuff, says they will be playing us in Lynchburg.

He has been saying all along that Wofford is not going to host. If he is correct on that, apparently the CIT was pretty hard up for teams this year and had to take at least one who did not want to pay a hosting fee. Between that and only having 20 teams (necessitating a ludicrous number of byes) It looks to me like the tournament may be on shaky ground going forward. Hope not. It would be a shame to lose it IMHO.
Last edited by olldflame on March 13th, 2018, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:They should eliminate a hosting fee.
Easy for you to say. I doubt they would be able to generate enough funds from other sources to operate without it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
They money need
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
They money need
Thanks for the translation.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
They money need
Thanks for the translation.
or

Translation the for thanks.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Wofford is good, and has been for several years. RPI is 127, Kenpom 155. Their coach has been there a long time and I have heard has turned down offers for better paying jobs. If this is the matchup, beat these guys and I like our chances to run the table. Lots of common opponents. They lost to UNCA by 20 early on and 3 times to UNCG (only one was close) and beat HP. We lost in triple OT to UNCG, went 2-1 against UNCA and 1-1 againstr HP. Hopefully we will have everybody dressed and Georgie will come out of his funk.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I believe Wollford beat North Carolina earlier this season.
Yes, but to clarify, they only beat NC-Chapel Hill. They lost to NC-Asheville by 20 and 3 times to NC-Greensboro.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Mckay said on post game that we would be on the road.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Mckay said on post game that we would be on the road.
He said he thought we would because we hosted twice last year. With the Wofford guy saying they won't be hosting, I'm thinking that there may be other teams in the same situation who were accepted on the condition they would not host and thus not pay, leaving the schools who have no problem paying (US!) to host. Just a theory.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Mike Young is a sharp coach, and he always gets a lot out of his personnel. Good guy, too. BTW, he's a Radford native.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sorry, I erroneously posted this earlier in the NC A&T thread, but Wofford is in fact hosting Central Michigan, which means we will be playing either Sam Houston State, Portland State or Northern Colorado, and probably on the road. I guess we know what Sly is pulling for. :cheerleader
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Portland State is playing at San Diego
Which makes a lot of sense, although it's still a pretty long trip. That means it will be either Sam Houston or Northern CO.
By walksports
Definitely would love for it to be at Sam Houston State University. Would be a 40-minute drive up Interstate 45 to support the Flames. I've been constantly tweeting the Conroe newspaper about Kemrite. I think since he played for a homeschool program here that he gets overlooked by his local press.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Conroe paper has trouble even acknowledging CISD schools (do they even know Caney Creek exists?). But thanks for holding them accountable.

The Sam AD lives a couple of blocks from me and buys AdvoCare products from my wife. I'll check to see if I can get the scoop. I suspect the game would be played in Lynchburg if they match up since Sam's budget is generally rather tight. But the Flames played in Huntsville a few years back in a Thanksgiving Tournament.

Here are the remain games to decide who goes where:
  • WEDNESDAY MARCH 14
    Saint Francis PA (18-12) @ UIC (17-15) 7:00 EST
    Niagara (19-13) @ Eastern Michigan (21-12) 7:00 EST
    Lamar (19-13) @ UTSA (19-14) 8:00 EST

THURSDAY MARCH 15
    Coach John McLendon Classic
    UL Monroe (16-15) @ Austin Peay (18-14) 8:00 EST
Teams in bold are nearby Sam and would likely be their next opponent. Lamar is a conference rival so if they were to win in San Antonio I am guessing there would be an effort to avoid matching them up. UTSA & Louisiana-Monroe are former conference rivals and would make a nice matchup for the Bearkats if they get through.
By walksports
Guess I got the impression that the winners of the Classic games would play the four teams that got a bye.

I used to write a running and triathlon column for about five years for The Courier under a former publisher who is now the PR person for County Judge Craig Doyal. As I stopped, I got to know Jon Poorman when he came out to cover The Woodlands Marathon. And, yes, they still do need to be prodded.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
CIT needs to get a clue and make a bracket like the NIT and CBI. Speaking of which, hopefully Campbell can keep the good Big South postseason showing going tonight. UNCA really should have won at Southern Cal last night.
By walksports
I saw Sam Houston's exit from the Southland Conference tournament on Saturday in Katy.

A player got a technical, then when the Bearkats' HC asked the referee what the player said he got teed up. It turned out to be a 6-point play for Southeastern Louisiana and swung the momentum and the lead in favor of the Lions.

Sam Houston's release stated that they "have played five games in the CIT, all at Johnson Coliseum. The Bearkats have a record of 2-3 in the tournament, winning opening round games in 2014 (Alabama State) and 2015 (UNC-Wilmington)."
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Everyone seems to think we are playing Sam this weekend but it hasn't been announced by anyone. Here is what is posted on the CIT website:
The 2018 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament
All Times EST

FIRST & SECOND ROUND

MONDAY, March 12th - THE CLASSIC

Hugh Durham Classic - CBS Sports Network
Central Michigan 94, Fort Wayne 89

Lou Henson Classic - CBS Sports Network
Drake 80, Abilene Christian 73

Jim Phelan Classic - CBS Sports Network
Liberty 65, North Carolina A&T 52

Riley Wallace Classic - CBS Sports Network
San Diego 88, Hartford 72

WEDNESDAY MARCH 14 Scoreboard
Eastern Michigan 83, Niagara 65
UIC 84, Saint Francis PA 61
UTSA 76, Lamar 69

THURSDAY MARCH 15
Coach John McLendon Classic [CBS DIGITAL]
UL Monroe (16-15) @ Austin Peay (18-14) 8:00 EST

FRIDAY MARCH 16
Central Michigan (20-14) @ Wofford (21-12) 7:00 EST [CBS DIGITAL]

SATURDAY MARCH 17
Portland State (20-13) @ San Diego (19-13) 7:00 EST [CBS DIGITAL]

SUNDAY MARCH 18
Drake (17-16) @ Northern Colorado (22-12) TBD [CBS DIGITAL]

QUARTERFINALS
March 22-25

SEMIFINALS
March 28
7:00 PM EST on CBS Sports Network
9:00 PM EST on CBS Sports Network

CHAMPIONSHIP
March 30
7:00 PM EST on CBS Sports Network
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
They have made changes to that page. Originally, it clearly stated that the winners of the (then) 4 "classics" would play the teams with first round byes. They later removed that statement and also added a 5th classic McLendon. The 3 matchups so far correspond with the original statement; classic winners with bye teams. I guess since we haven't heard, they could now match up the winner of the McLendon classic tonight (either UL Monroe or Austin Peay) with Sam. That would actually be great for us, because it would give us a bye to the quarters.

The format is a mess because they were hoping for 32 teams (or at least 26 like the past 2 years) and only got 20. Hope I'm wrong, but the future of this tourney does not look bright to me.
Last edited by olldflame on March 15th, 2018, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]