This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I believe I have dated women from 7 different countries in my lifetime.
Ballcoach gets around! Does he love them and leave them? :denied
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I believe I have dated women from 7 different countries in my lifetime.
Ballcoach gets around! Does he love them and leave them? :denied
‘Me love you long time”
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:You guys are excited about Denny's?
Wait till you get old ! :oldhag :fight
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
rogers3 wrote:We'd probably have a few more new options if LU would follow through with the mall redevelopment that had been mentioned. Jerry was all pumped up about the new things coming and had also mentioned a new tenant that would be a great addition in the old Macy's site. At least the school is paying property taxes on those properties.
We don’t own Macy’s, unless it happened without notice on SoR. The RAMP church is the current tenant. As for the other side of the mall, there is still use for sears as office space. I look forward to that changing. Wondering about KMART.
LU does own the Macy’s building. In fact, it’s the only part of the mall structure that is outright listed in LU’s name, even though the school owns a portion of the whole site minus the JC Penney store. Lynchburg GIS map shows who owns which part of the building. I believe they turned the upstairs portion into the wrestling home for the time being.
I think LU is proving to be a pretty crappy property manager. Non-retail use of the facilities at the mall just make it that much less of a draw and probably hurts the remaining retailers. Is there some kind of strategy for it or did Jerry bite off more than he can manage at the current time. I worry about the Kmart space- it could get redeveloped into an Aldi/Lidl type store or become another one of LU's parking lot eyesores.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Give me the local diner for breakfast all day every day.

Unless there’s a Maple Street Biscuit Comlany. Then I’ll take that too.
Oh a local greasy spoon for the win all day every day.

But Denny’s is nice if you wanna fancy it up :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Speaking of greasy spoons, is Texas Inn still around?
By Class of 20Something
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Speaking of greasy spoons, is Texas Inn still around?
We've got two, though I heard they were up for sale.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:LU does own the Macy’s building. In fact, it’s the only part of the mall structure that is outright listed in LU’s name
That isnt my understanding, although my knowledge is only what I remember reading in the N&A. Liberty should own all of Sears, right? None of Belk, right? If Macy's was sold to Liberty, it went unmentioned on SoR & N&A, right? I did wonder if Liberty had purchased it when I saw the RAMP Church in there... They had a previous relationship with RAMP over at Candler's Station.

EDIT 1: It looks like Liberty bought Macy's on 4/4/17. I do see that Sears appears to have been "sold" to RIVER RIDGE MALL JV LLC (my understanding is that Liberty owns a majority stake). I was right about BELK.
LUAlum1215 wrote:Lynchburg GIS map shows who owns which part of the building. I believe they turned the upstairs portion into the wrestling home for the time being.
Do you have a link to that? EDIT 2: Pretty cool site. http://mapviewer.lynchburgva.gov/ParcelViewer/
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: I think LU is proving to be a pretty crappy property manager.
I know that you are much more knowledgeable about this than I am. Some questions:

1. Take Liberty out of the picture. Do you think that the Mall, in its current configuration, is actually viable? In other words, could it really be revitalized "as is?"
2. Do you think the area has the market to support a modern mall? If so, where is the best location?

My uneducated hunch is that the Mall has already died and there isn't much that can be done for it, but that with a major capital investment, the current location would be a good place for a new mall. It would not surprise me if Liberty were holding out for JC Penny and Belk to sell so that they can tear down and build a new mall.
rogers3 wrote:I worry about the Kmart space- it could get redeveloped into an Aldi/Lidl type store or become another one of LU's parking lot eyesores.
I am not sure what you mean by "parking lot eyesores," but anything Liberty does can't be worse than what is already there!

I think an Aldi's (or Trader Joe's) would be good. Would the building have to be torn down? I don't remember seeing any that weren't free standing.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recall reading some where that the average life span for a mall is 30 years.

Wasn't the mall area mentioned as a possible location for Lynchburg Civic Center a couple years ago ?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I recall reading some where that the average life span for a mall is 30 years.
Which is roughly the age of River Ridge?
ballcoach15 wrote:Wasn't the mall area mentioned as a possible location for Lynchburg Civic Center a couple years ago ?
Yes, it was one possibility. It was announced because TRBC didn't want it leaking before they could address the possibility first.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I recall reading some where that the average life span for a mall is 30 years.
The Lynchburg mall is much older than that. I think it is nearly 40 years old.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
The Lynchburg mall is much older than that. I think it is nearly 40 years old.
You are correct. I believe it was 1980 that it opened (38 years).
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
rogers3 wrote: I think LU is proving to be a pretty crappy property manager.
I know that you are much more knowledgeable about this than I am. Some questions:

1. Take Liberty out of the picture. Do you think that the Mall, in its current configuration, is actually viable? In other words, could it really be revitalized "as is?"
2. Do you think the area has the market to support a modern mall? If so, where is the best location?

My uneducated hunch is that the Mall has already died and there isn't much that can be done for it, but that with a major capital investment, the current location would be a good place for a new mall. It would not surprise me if Liberty were holding out for JC Penny and Belk to sell so that they can tear down and build a new mall.
rogers3 wrote:I worry about the Kmart space- it could get redeveloped into an Aldi/Lidl type store or become another one of LU's parking lot eyesores.
I am not sure what you mean by "parking lot eyesores," but anything Liberty does can't be worse than what is already there!

I think an Aldi's (or Trader Joe's) would be good. Would the building have to be torn down? I don't remember seeing any that weren't free standing.
My point stands. Dying malls are often redeveloped, and Jerry announced that this was in the works. If he or the school can't get it done, why buy it? Questions about the viability of the market are likely due to unfamiliarity, but I do question the impact of below standard wages our largest employer pays and the impact on buying power in the region. Despite the substandard pay, the market area has more than 250,000 in population, so a good choice of retailers can draw in buyers.
By cruzan_flame13
jimflamesfan wrote:If LU is building a smaller basketball arena on their own (4,000 seats or so), and they now own the mall, why not put it there??? Just a thought.
That is an interesting spot for a basketball arena. Question is where would be the location of the new mall? The idea is an inside/outside mall, so maybe where the K-Mart used to be? I think I’ve read somewhere that a smaller inside/outside mall will be located somewhere downtown as part of the 2040 project.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:If LU is building a smaller basketball arena on their own (4,000 seats or so), and they now own the mall, why not put it there???
I think they want it within walking distance for the students.
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:
jimflamesfan wrote:If LU is building a smaller basketball arena on their own (4,000 seats or so), and they now own the mall, why not put it there???
I think they want it within walking distance for the students.
I'm just waiting for an octagonal roof on vines. It's already in the seal but no where on the actual campus.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Mall would be bad location for the 4000 seat arena. Then no students would come to games. Doc's diner area probably best location for it.
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:Has everyone forgotten about the Civic Center?
I don't think so, but the topic was put aside since the project is still tentative right? I mean some of you guys know people in the inner circle, so is it possible that that project might come back up in the near future?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Has everyone forgotten about the Civic Center?
The civic center will not happen. The city has no interest.
Doesn’t mean Jr doesn’t. And The Mall would be the ideal spot. I think the City should steer well clear of it
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]