If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am glad these players are rated so highly. However, as a group, this board tends to waaaaay too excited about recruits, based on their stars, etc. in all sports. It leads to a lot of unfulfilled expectations and disappointments. I am guilty of this myself at times. I have been trying to put down the hype bottle sooner. Helps with the blood pressure some. Until they get on the field, court, etc. we don't really have much of an idea what we are getting. The best barometer I have seen so far, is who else has offered them and how many. Even then, it is somewhat of a crap shoot. Rant over.
By cruzan_flame13
Here’s a video of a Darius McGhee interview after the VA Classic game against Maury(Blue Ridge won):

I am glad to have a college prospect like this gentleman and I pray that LU will receive more players like him in all sports. What’s crazy is that Darius reminds me of Derrick Rose. It would be nice to have McGhee to have four years at LU with what Derrick had with Memphis (don’t believe he played for four seasons at U of M). What a boost to the McKay Era that will be!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Here’s a video of a Darius McGhee interview after the VA Classic game against Maury(Blue Ridge won):

I am glad to have a college prospect like this gentleman and I pray that LU will receive more players like him in all sports. What’s crazy is that Darius reminds me of Derrick Rose. It would be nice to have McGhee to have four years at LU with what Derrick had with Memphis (don’t believe he played for four seasons at U of M). What a boost to the McKay Era that will be!
Not sure where you get the Rose comparison. Other than the level of athleticism, I don't see much in common. Darius is only 5'9" compared to 6'3". He is also a good student, and didn't need to have someone else take the SAT for him. Rose was one and done at Memphis, but should never have been admitted.

A realistic comparison for Darius would be Chris Cleamons. We can only hope he will be that good offensively, and I feel confident he will be a better defender.
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Here’s a video of a Darius McGhee interview after the VA Classic game against Maury(Blue Ridge won):

Not sure where you get the Rose comparison. Other than the level of athleticism, I don't see much in common. Darius is only 5'9" compared to 6'3". He is also a good student, and didn't need to have someone else take the SAT for him. Rose was one and done at Memphis, but should never have been admitted.

A realistic comparison for Darius would be Chris Cleamons. We can only hope he will be that good offensively, and I feel confident he will be a better defender.
I was only pointing out the athleticism and similar feature. I wasn't going all into detail like you did which wasn't necessary. I wasn't all into Rose's life; just liked how he played in college.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Josh Price hit 5 3 pointers on his Senior night. In the picture standing with his family he towers over his dad, who is 6'0" by at least 4 inches. Looks like he is having a late growth spurt like his brother Hunter, who was the same height as Josh (6'1") after his JR year of HS and is now 6'7".

Speaking of his dad Mark, since UNCC fired him with a record of 3-6, the 49ers have gone 2-12, including losing their last 10. Brilliant move with almost 4 years left at a half mil a year on his contract.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Carmel Christian, with 2018 signee Josh Price and 2019 commit Martin Maide in the lineup, won the Independant schools 2A state championship in NC. They were also ranked #1 overall.

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Flames pick up DIII transfer

http://www.aseaofred.com/flames-pick-up-d3-transfer/
No surprise here. If you check out the interview I linked on the "looking ahead to 2018-19" thread, at the end, the interviewer asks "will we see you play basketball next year" and he artfully deflects the question. You could pretty much tell he knew where he was going to be (not there).

Keenan fits the profile for what Ritchie looks for in a grad transfer to a tee. Solid, smart guy who will add maturity to the team and be a role model for the young players. He also hit over 43% from 3, and should give us a threat there to help offset the loss of Kemrite. Longer and more athletic as well. This is a really solid pick-up.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looks like we are all in on David Ware for that last scholarship. I don't see any way he would take VCU up on their offer to give him a scholarship for 2019 if he preps a year (especially considering it would not be binding and they could drop him like a hot potato if they don't like what they see or if he gets hurt). Our competition will come from the other schools who have shown interest in the last couple of weeks. The only name I have heard is Campbell. As far as I know none of them have yet made an offer.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
With the addition of Keenan Gumbs, the question is raised as to whether we continue to go after David Ware, who is a very similar player. We are pretty well stocked now in that area, and have a committment from Martin Maide, another 6'4" guard for 2019. I am confident enough in Ritchie to say this: If we end up signing Ware, it will be because we believe he can be a VERY SPECIAL player, who is worth the scholarship, even at a position where some might argue we have a bit of a surplus already. I do believe it is quite possible we just hold onto that schollie, and there is always the possibility of another grad transfer.

In any event, I expect that our focus for the recruiting class of 2019 has totally changed from where we were just a few months ago. In addition to Maide, we had offered 4 other 6'4"-6'6" SGs. My guess is most or all of those offers have been (or will be) rescinded and we will be focusing on versatile bigs to take the places of Scottie and Myo in 2 years.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I don't think the addition of Gumbs will have any bearing on our recruitment of Ware. Gumbs is our version of a one-and-done. Ware is for the future. The difference might be that Ware would maybe think again about coming here if he has other opportunities to play right away. Gumbs coming here increases the chance that Ware would be RS next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:I don't think the addition of Gumbs will have any bearing on our recruitment of Ware. Gumbs is our version of a one-and-done. Ware is for the future. The difference might be that Ware would maybe think again about coming here if he has other opportunities to play right away. Gumbs coming here increases the chance that Ware would be RS next year.
It's not just Gumbs who Ware would be competing with for minutes. We already have Cuffee, McDowell and Homesley, with Price arriving this summer and a commitment from Maide for 2019. All are 2/3s between 6'4" and 6'6". You want a lot of those type players in our system, but there comes a point where other needs have to be addressed. As always, all bets are off when you have a shot at someone you think can be a difference-maker.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
flamehunter wrote:I don't think the addition of Gumbs will have any bearing on our recruitment of Ware. Gumbs is our version of a one-and-done. Ware is for the future. The difference might be that Ware would maybe think again about coming here if he has other opportunities to play right away. Gumbs coming here increases the chance that Ware would be RS next year.
It's not just Gumbs who Ware would be competing with for minutes. We already have Cuffee, McDowell and Homesley, with Price arriving this summer and a commitment from Maide for 2019. All are 2/3s between 6'4" and 6'6". You want a lot of those type players in our system, but there comes a point where other needs have to be addressed. As always, all bets are off when you have a shot at someone you think can be a difference-maker.
I agree, but you worded your post as Gumbs' coming here meaning we no longer would pursue Ware. I'm just saying that Gumbs coming here should have little to no bearing on Ware's recruitment. All the other players already here or coming definitely do impact Ware's "usefulness" on the roster. But, if we wanted him before Gumbs committed, I don't see why we wouldn't want him after.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In this pic his dad tweeted, you can clearly see that Josh Price is no longer 6'1".

His dad in the middle is 6'0" and older brother Hudson on the left is 6'7". I'm guessing he is 6'4" plus right now, with a good chance of ending up as tall as Hudson. Both were 6'1" at the end of their JR year of HS.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Signing period ends tomorrow. Looking more and more like we will not be signing a HS player this Spring. It will probably be either another grad transfer or nothing. Either way, we would have the scholarship for 2019. Lots of grad transfers still available, and no real deadline other than they register in time for the Fall semester.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We have been discussing our head to battle with Lipscomb for recruits in the 2019 thread, where we landed Kyle Rode and are competing for the services of Caleb Mills and Issac McBride. I just realized that Blake Preston also had an offer from Lipscomb, which means we are already 2 up on them. Would love to make it 3!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My fantasy of having Josh Price´s dad, NBA great Mark Price, as a volunteer assistant has been dashed. Just took a job as an assistant with the Denver Nuggets.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]