This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Once again, it's the movie discussion thread...Ive got a couple Im intrigued by that Id like to check out outside of all the Marvel and DC action explosiveness
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:Once again, it's the movie discussion thread...Ive got a couple Im intrigued by that Id like to check out outside of all the Marvel and DC action explosiveness
They only have one movie on the docket this year. Marvel has 7-8.

That said. I'm going to watch.

Whenever they drop that Han Solo movie, my but will be in a seat too.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Clint Eastwood's work that comes out next month looks great in the trailers. I remember when the news came out of the incident thinking it would make a great movie:

[youtube]IC_lnyn2R2Q[/youtube][youtube]CXDqvgHe3HA[/youtube]

Jim Caviezel is back this time as Paul in March ...

[youtube]ZaK-lbhhx_M[/youtube]

I assumed by the casting and the character with "The Untold Story" attached that this would be a disaster. But the trailer is interesting:

[youtube]x18fgYITXwc[/youtube]

The Coen Brothers have taken on the task of recreating one of the most iconic films of all time which itself was a remake of a Howard Hughes film ... Scarface. No trailers have been released yet. This intrigues me. Ethan Coen is also directing the Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly send-up of Holmes & Watson.

And I'll just leave these right here ...

[youtube]aepZ-nrPA-w[/youtube]

[youtube]NZbSthZaK3g[/youtube]
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I know it came out last year, but for those of you willing to explore your artistic side... The Greatest Showman is fantastic.

On a completely different note: Has anyone joined "MoviePass"? I just joined and will follow up if I think it worthwhile... It is supposed to grant you up to 1 "2D" ticket EVERY DAY for $9.99/mo.

https://www.moviepass.com/referral/emai ... 4669256589
Last edited by alabama24 on January 2nd, 2018, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Deadpool 2
Solo
Oceans 8
Incredibles 2
First Man
Ready Player 1
A Wrinkle in Time
Red Sparrow
Isle of Dogs
Aquaman
MI 6
Annihilation
15:17 to Paris
Black Klansman
Holmes and Watson
Pacific Rim Uprising
Mortal Engines (maybe)
Mute
Bohemian Rhapsody
A Quiet Place
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Though it came out in December (and is still showing), I would highly recommend The Greatest Showman, which is a story about P.T. Barnum.

[youtube]jr9QtXwC9vc[/youtube]
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I got shot down after proposing this film by Mrs. Sly on our last date. Wow, did I lose this discussion by having to see Downsizing. I cannot begin to tell you how awful that film turned out to be.

And Haize, please hand over your man card for admitting to be excited to see an Oprah movie.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Though it came out in December (and is still showing), I would highly recommend The Greatest Showman, which is a story about P.T. Barnum.

[youtube]jr9QtXwC9vc[/youtube]
I second that. One of the most enjoyable movies I've seen all year. This will definitely go in our home collection and we've been listening to the soundtrack nonstop in our house.

Masterworx Theater in Lynchburg is doing the musical "Barnum" in March and have auditions this week.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I got shot down after proposing this film by Mrs. Sly on our last date.
Mrs. Cider was the same way, so I ended up seeing it solo yesterday.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I got shot down after proposing this film by Mrs. Sly on our last date. Wow, did I lose this discussion by having to see Downsizing. I cannot begin to tell you how awful that film turned out to be.

And Haize, please hand over your man card for admitting to be excited to see an Oprah movie.
Umm She’s a Co Star and it’s a movie from a classic piece of sci fi. Lead character is the ‘new’ Captain Kirk. So that negates the Oprah factor according to Man Card Judges
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm with you on this one PH. I am also not convinced sly is in position to pull any man cards.

As far as that air force hero train movie...I have very strong opinions on why that shouldn't be a movie but I'm trying to stay in a good mood.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I'm with you on this one PH. I am also not convinced sly is in position to pull any man cards.

As far as that air force hero train movie...I have very strong opinions on why that shouldn't be a movie but I'm trying to stay in a good mood.
Well it shows the AF doing more than sitting in chairs so that’s different.....
I like he’s using the actual people that took part. So that’s cool
Eastwood is about the only director who puts out Pro American Movies anymore
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I'm looking forward to A Wrinkle in Time in spite of Oprah. LOVED those books as a kid!

Ready Player 1 looks good, but I'm not sure it will measure up to the book. Not sure I'll see it in the theater, but will probably watch it at home.

And I am required to see all Marvel and DC movies, as well as all Star Wars movies, so those are all on the list.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
It came out last year I think but if Gary Oldman is not nominated for an Oscar for Darkest Hour, the Oscar committee needs to disband immediately
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:It came out last year I think but if Gary Oldman is not nominated for an Oscar for Darkest Hour, the Oscar committee needs to disband immediately
He’s currently the odds-on favorite to win, so I think it’s safe to say he’ll be nominated.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:
Ready Player 1 looks good, but I'm not sure it will measure up to the book.
Yeah, it'll be a disappointment. It would have been better suited for a Netflix limited series.
phoenix wrote:
Not sure I'll see it in the theater, but will probably watch it at home.
Get MoviePass!
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:It came out last year I think but if Gary Oldman is not nominated for an Oscar for Darkest Hour, the Oscar committee needs to disband immediately
Darkest Hour = thumbs up. Really enjoyed that one, and it was in a theater with reclining seats which made it even better.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Don't pay much attention to movies these days, but A24 horror film Hereditary has been blowing up at the film festivals. Will go see it opening week if I can even remember it by late June.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If you haven’t seen Den of Thieves do it. Do it NOW
By Class of 20Something
I've been catching up as Redbox let's me

Black Panther - Over hyped but still an awesome action movie. Killmonger was one of the best villians I've seen in a while.

Thor Ragnarok - Easily in the top three Marvel movies for me with Winter Soldier and Iron Man 2.

Infinity War - They made the villians fallible without making him weak. They gave him weaknesses without letting the heros have "Plot Armor"

The Greatest Showman - About time I got to it. It took Redbox forever to get it. One of the best visual musicals I've seen. My only issue is the songs were all clearly studio. None felt like it was live.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Bohemian Rhapsody was really good. Warning: you’ll wake. Up with Queen songs in your head :D

I think the Brian May character wasn’t an accurate portrayal because he apparently was the perfect and heroic band member.

Rami Malek did a very good job as Freddie. But in the back of my mind I kept wondering hoe Sacha Cohen would have done had he stayed on the project.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Bohemian Rhapsody was really good. Warning: you’ll wake. Up with Queen songs in your head :D

I think the Brian May character wasn’t an accurate portrayal because he apparently was the perfect and heroic band member.

Rami Malek did a very good job as Freddie. But in the back of my mind I kept wondering hoe Sacha Cohen would have done had he stayed on the project.
Look forward to seeing it. Baron Cohen is much taller than Freddie I in real life. Years ago (2005 I think) I saw a Christian band at a music festival. The band was called Downhere and I told everyone that their lead singer sounded a lot like Freddie Mercury. Not many believed me at the time. I feel validated that years later, the lead singer of the band is featured as some of Mercury’s singing voice on that film.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Really can’t wait to see it. Been rewatching previews on YouTube for months.

Also want to see Creed II asap
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]