If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Guess who had the best record against the teams in the final AP poll???

UCF or course. They went 4-0 against teams in the final rankings. Just saying :)
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
if alabama played UCF's schedule everyone would of freaked out if they made the playoff. why? because that schedule is garbage. just saying.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Fans buy billboard ad, ask Alabama if it wants to play UCF http://es.pn/2mhM1GT

I have a feeling Alabama won't answer. I wonder why that would be....
Because they are Paper Champions like Rocky Balboa in Rocky 3
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Fans buy billboard ad, ask Alabama if it wants to play UCF http://es.pn/2mhM1GT

They won't answer for a number of reasons:

1. It would be a waste of money.
2. Bama's schedule is booked for next year.
3. UCF won't be any good by the time we get around to play them.

Look at this year's opening game. We played FSU. EVERYONE thought they would be a title contender... (and they may have been without losing 1) their QB and 2) the game to BAMA! :lol: ) BAMA is ripped for a "weak" schedule, but year in and year out they schedule a good, out of conference game with some "powerhouse." The 2018 game will probably be laughed at too... We open with Louisville. When the game was scheduled, however, they were on the rise. I also want to point out the (probable) hypocrisy from any of you complaining about BAMA playing Mercer and then wanting Liberty to play schools like BAMA. You can't have it both ways!
By Class of 20Something
alabama24 wrote:

Look at this year's opening game. We played FSU. EVERYONE thought they would be a title contender... (and they may have been without losing 1) their QB and 2) the game to BAMA! :lol: ) BAMA is ripped for a "weak" schedule, but year in and year out they schedule a good, out of conference game with some "powerhouse." The 2018 game will probably be laughed at too... We open with Louisville. When the game was scheduled, however, they were on the rise. I also want to point out the (probable) hypocrisy from any of you complaining about BAMA playing Mercer and then wanting Liberty to play schools like BAMA. You can't have it both ways!
No one wants us to play bama. We do want the team and IM to work us up to 5-7 P5 games annually, including some at home. Actually UCF is about where I envision Liberty's ceiling as far as talent, schedule, recruiting, and performance. I don't know that we will see that in the next 20 years, but I think that's the goal. To be a Boise St or UCF.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:

And this is one of the many reasons why a four-team playoff (with no objective standard for qualifying for it) is so stupid for a sport with 120+ teams in it. You end up comparing teams based on their schedules that were constructed years before you can possibly know how good your opponents will be (and besides that, it is impossible for everyone to play a tough schedule..somebody has to play the bad teams..and for that, we punish teams???) . Until you have a system that has an objective qualifying method (ie a 16-team playoff that gives auto bids to the 10 conference champs + 6 at-larges), it is severely flawed. Yes, there will always be an argument about the last teams, but once you include all of the conference champs, you can look at any team that is left out and say, "you could have done more"...the current system allows teams to be left out that literally can't do anything more than they did on the field, yet they still get left out...how stupid is that?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
FBS football is the only sport that a team cannot play their way into championship game. Heck in basketball, a team could go 0-28 in regular season, win conference tournament, and make NCAA tourney. Doubtful , but mathematically possible, same for softball and baseball.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:So bama is scared of UCF? Got it :)
They are. They know they got lucky. A LOT of money and prestige would be on the line I need they played each other. Say the week before the Super Bowl. But Bama doesn’t need the money and can’t afford being exposed as the paper champions They are
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:
alabama24 wrote:

And this is one of the many reasons why a four-team playoff (with no objective standard for qualifying for it) is so stupid for a sport with 120+ teams in it. You end up comparing teams based on their schedules that were constructed years before you can possibly know how good your opponents will be (and besides that, it is impossible for everyone to play a tough schedule..somebody has to play the bad teams..and for that, we punish teams???) . Until you have a system that has an objective qualifying method (ie a 16-team playoff that gives auto bids to the 10 conference champs + 6 at-larges), it is severely flawed. Yes, there will always be an argument about the last teams, but once you include all of the conference champs, you can look at any team that is left out and say, "you could have done more"...the current system allows teams to be left out that literally can't do anything more than they did on the field, yet they still get left out...how stupid is that?
Ive always been on board with this concept

Here's who would have gotten the autobids under that sort of system

American: UCF
ACC: Clemson
Big 12: Oklahoma
Big Ten: Ohio State
CUSA: Florida Atlantic
MAC: Toledo
Mountain West: Boise State
Pac 12: USC
SEC: Georgia
Sun Belt: Troy

At large bids would be a pretty raging debate because I see about a dozen teams that could all have made a claim.

With all that said, you'll have problems with just about any system put in place from 4 to 64 and anywhere in between
By Class of 20Something
The CFP committee is an ESPN run, auto-fellating organization constructed purely for TV ratings.

Could any other set of 4 teams had better ratings? Not a chance.

Did all 4 teams that were selected perform in their season to warrant their presence in the CFB? Nope.

Point blank, if you are not a conference champ, you should not be in the playoff. If the CFP can admit that game performance and scheduling doesn't matter I'd be less upset. Alabama was clearly a better team on paper, but they did not win against Auburn, they did not compete in their conference championship. UGA, Clemson, and OU all had top 10 SOS and had 1 loss and 1 extra game than Alabama going into the CFP. Alabama sat at #27 with one loss.

There is no one here that can coherently make an merit based argument for Alabama's inclusion that would not also qualify UCF.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't like the conference championship automatically in playoffs deal. Things change from year to year, but in most years there is probably 2 or 3 SEC teams better than conference champions of another conference. Same can hold true with the ACC some years.
This year, Alabama, Georgia and Auburn were all worthy of playoffs from the SEC. Problem with college football is, one loss normally knocks a team out of chance to play for national championship, unlike any other sport. Then again there is the problem of strength of schedule. No team in the country plays as tough of schedule as SEC West teams.

Roll Tide. 2017 NCAA Football National Champions
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
UCF was better than the top 3 SEC teams this year
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I don't like the conference championship automatically in playoffs deal. Things change from year to year, but in most years there is probably 2 or 3 SEC teams better than conference champions of another conference. Same can hold true with the ACC some years.
This year, Alabama, Georgia and Auburn were all worthy of playoffs from the SEC. Problem with college football is, one loss normally knocks a team out of chance to play for national championship, unlike any other sport. Then again there is the problem of strength of schedule. No team in the country plays as tough of schedule as SEC West teams.

Roll Tide. 2017 NCAA Football National Champions
Auburn? Seriously? They lost 4 games including their conference championship and bowl games.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:UCF was better than the top 3 SEC teams this year
It's a good thing that this can't and won't be proven.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:That is a good thing? Why?
Because I believe USF would get beat BAD, in all 3 games. Just my opinion, thus it doesn't really matter what one thinks, because we will never know. That is probably a good thing.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]