This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By WinterIsComing
Registration Days Posts
Despite Johnnie's shortcomings as LU spokesman/PR guy (not entirely his fault imho), I'm extremely glad to see that he has used his experiences at LU to become a spokesman on this troubling and disturbing geopolitical/religious issue. Feel free to move this to the ISIS and Russia thread if you so desire.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2015/03/18/the ... -about-it/

http://www.glennbeck.com/2015/04/23/sho ... d-of-isis/
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The latest buzz around Johnnie from WaPo:
Washington Post wrote:Acts of Faith
‘Walking a line’: The shrewd tactics of the White House’s evangelical gatekeeper

By Michelle Boorstein and Sarah Pulliam Bailey January 8 at 7:43 AM

Johnnie Moore, unofficial spokesman alor President Trump’s group of evangelical advisers, in front of the Trump International Hotel in Washington. (Bill O’Leary/The Washington Post)

As Israel has shot to the top of President Trump’s agenda, world leaders have looked for the perspective of one of Trump’s biggest and most reliable voting blocs. And Johnnie Moore, the White House’s evangelical gatekeeper, has been there to provide it.

Moore, a wunderkind PR executive, has served through the Trump candidacy and presidency as the shepherd for many conversations between Trump aides and conservative evangelical leaders who, like Moore, consider the Jewish state — and the status of Jerusalem in particular — to be at the top of their priority list. At 34, Moore has been consulted about the topic at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and at private meetings with Arab leaders. He was in the Oval Office a few weeks ago for a private ceremony honoring Trump for saying the United States officially considers Jerusalem the capital of Israel.

For evangelicals, “those who bless Israel will be blessed,” Moore said he tells White House officials.
Click Here for Full Story
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The fact Evangelicals apparently need a ‘Gatekeeper’ is something I find disturbing
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:The fact Evangelicals apparently need a ‘Gatekeeper’ is something I find disturbing

Of course it's disturbing; look at the paper who wrote this piece lol
By WinterIsComing
Registration Days Posts
Different times and/or situations, but I feel one could argue Jerry Falwell Sr. (and in some cases Jr.) was/is the gatekeeper. Not saying that's a good thing, but would anyone care to discuss the pros and cons and unique subtleties between Johnnie, Sr, and Jr? I haven't fleshed this out myself, but would enjoy others perspectives.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
WinterIsComing wrote:Different times and/or situations, but I feel one could argue Jerry Falwell Sr. (and in some cases Jr.) was/is the gatekeeper. Not saying that's a good thing, but would anyone care to discuss the pros and cons and unique subtleties between Johnnie, Sr, and Jr? I haven't fleshed this out myself, but would enjoy others perspectives.
I’m going to say No. I am opposed to the concept of ‘Gatekeepers’ when it comes to giving your Faith Bona Fidel’s. But I’ve never run for National Office. You want my credentials? Go see the Pastor of the Church I attend.
By Jonathan Carone
I’m not the biggest Johnnie Moore fan, and I’m definitely not a Trump fan, but there’s something to be said about finding things you agree on and then working towards those things. This idea that we have to agree on everything in order to work together towards a common goal is one of the biggest issues we are facing today.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Usually when liberal papers call someone a “conservative kingpin”, it’s someone I nor anyone else has heard of.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Usually when liberal papers call someone a “conservative kingpin”, it’s someone I nor anyone else has heard of.
Whenever I hear ‘kingpin’

[youtube]AClQyr2koxc[/youtube]
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’m not the biggest Johnnie Moore fan, and I’m definitely not a Trump fan, but there’s something to be said about finding things you agree on and then working towards those things. This idea that we have to agree on everything in order to work together towards a common goal is one of the biggest issues we are facing today.
I can agree with that idea but I think that you also must stand up for certain things. You can't just not confront certain issues because it may make you feel uncomfortable. That is basically what Johnny Moore is doing. The quote below just rubbed me the wrong way and is the source of this response.

The Senate race in Alabama and Christian nationalist Roy Moore? “I’m not involved.” Trump’s penchant for lying? “I don’t want to get into it. Because I don’t focus on those things.” The GOP tax law that bitterly divided religious leaders? “I don’t think there’s an answer.”

“For me, that’s all noise,” he said. “It’s not that it isn’t important, but I don’t have time for all that. . . If I did dig into it, I might have stronger opinions, and that would be a distraction for me.
By Jonathan Carone
I actually appreciated that response from him. He has a focus and knows what's important to him and he goes after that. I don't expect every person to be well versed on every issue, especially someone in Johnnie's position. I'd much rather have that response than have someone toe a party line or try to fake it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I guess you and I are reading it differently. Not wanting to be bothered by the fact someone may not have integrity enough to be truthful is troublesome to me. I'm not asking him to fake it but I also don't want him to ignore it either. Things like integrity seems like important things for someone who is suppose to be a "religious gatekeeper". I don't think that is a fair description of his role but that is probably another discussion.

This may also go back to the deep rooted issues I have with how so many Christians have justified Trump's terrible behavior. But again I don't disagree that we should focus more on what what issues we agree on and work on those things but the issues I have with the President aren't necessarily political. I understand to many on this board that shouldn't be a focus but for me it is and I don't see that changing any time soon.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
As a PR guy, he should know that there are many ways to answer that question even if you don’t “follow it closely.” The reality it seems though is that most Christian responses that would likely impugn the act of lying may result in him feeling the wrath of Trump and having his access revoked.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:so many Christians have justified Trump's terrible behavior.
I don’t believe this is a true statement, at least the way I read it. Every Christian I know detests the detestable things he has done. Voting for or supporting him where he can be agreed with does not justify the other things on which one disagrees. So I’m wondering if by supporting anything he does, you’re saying Christians are inherently supporting everything he does? Or if by saying nothing publicly about the detestable, you infer support?
By Jonathan Carone
In today’s climate, rightly or wrongly, if you support one piece of something and then stay quiet on other pieces of that same thing, it’s assumed you’re still supporting the thing. If I like Chick Fil A and don’t comment on the Cathy’s view of homosexuality then I agree with them. If I like Trump’s view on immigration and don’t comment on his sexual issues then I’m okay with them. That’s the world we live in and mainstream Christianity has not adapted to that well because they don’t believe it to be true and in the process has lost credibility with a lot of people.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I didn't say all Christians who voted for Trump justified his terrible behavior because many have not but there are plenty of people who claim to be Christians instead of simply acknowledging he isn't that great of a guy will attempt to make the moral shortcomings he have not seem so bad. I have seen articles written, I have heard Jerry Falwell Jr do it, I have had conversations with friends who do it and I have seen people on this board do it.

At least PH doesn't try to paint Trump as some kind of saint. But many people do and that is what is so frustrating for me to watch.

I'm not sure if I am making sense but hopefully I am getting my thoughts acorss as well as I would like.

On a side note Chic Fil A is delicious so people are willing to overlook anything they may disagree with the founder on. Maybe Trump should create something so delicious to bring America together :)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I didn't say all Christians who voted for Trump justified his terrible behavior because many have not but there are plenty of people who claim to be Christians instead of simply acknowledging he isn't that great of a guy will attempt to make the moral shortcomings he have not seem so bad. I have seen articles written, I have heard Jerry Falwell Jr do it, I have had conversations with friends who do it and I have seen people on this board do it.

At least PH doesn't try to paint Trump as some kind of saint. But many people do and that is what is so frustrating for me to watch.

I'm not sure if I am making sense but hopefully I am getting my thoughts acorss as well as I would like.

On a side note Chic Fil A is delicious so people are willing to overlook anything they may disagree with the founder on. Maybe Trump should create something so delicious to bring America together :)
Yeah, the World is jacked up when I’m the voice of reason. :D

I voted for Trump because I support his policy positions. He was running for an office to implement said policies. I would have no issues explaining why is personal life choices were not in line with mine as easily as I would my boy Mitt. But those choices are irrelevant and not disqualifying for Office.
I am absolutely amazed at the eagerness to run with half baked stories to disprove Trump and what passes for ‘news’. Who knew eating Big Macs was an impeachable Offense and evidence of the 25th Amendment? W got hammered by the Press. Obama got eviserated by the Right wing fringe but fawned over by the Mainstream Media. Has there been more then one or two stories about Trump that are positive NOT run by Hannity? It’s absolutely amazing.
Anyways, I’ll defend his Policies and his record because that’s what is important. I like his Tweetering because half the time he’s baiting or taking the heat off someone else. He likes heat you know. He’s not the Stateman President. But if you didn’t know that going in you should by now!
Carry on
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As someone in the PR space who trains and consults spokespersons, this discussion is not one I would expect to see on this board. But I like it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:As someone in the PR space who trains and consults spokespersons, this discussion is not one I would expect to see on this board. But I like it.
We should probably shut it down. :D
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I know I often focus on the issues I have with Trump when I post here but that is mostly because the majority who post on here are Trump supports but I have just as many issues, if not more, with the anti Trump crowd.

It seems to me that conservative media makes it seem Trump can do no wrong and the MSM believe Trump can not do anything right. Then again with Obama it was the other way around. And if someone comes on one of those networks with opposing views they get talked over and talked down to. It's just an infuriating time in history.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
makarov97 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:In today’s climate, rightly or wrongly, if you support one piece of something and then stay quiet on other pieces of that same thing, it’s assumed you’re still supporting the thing. If I like Chick Fil A and don’t comment on the Cathy’s view of homosexuality then I agree with them. If I like Trump’s view on immigration and don’t comment on his sexual issues then I’m okay with them. That’s the world we live in and mainstream Christianity has not adapted to that well because they don’t believe it to be true and in the process has lost credibility with a lot of people.
With respect, think about what you wrote there. You started off with "rightly or wrongly." You end with a premise that "mainstream Christianity" must somehow adapt to this.

Frankly, that's nonsense. The fact that the world operates in illogical, obtuse, and doltish terms does not mean that we have to accept it, entertain it, or modify our behavior or actions to accommodate it.

Patronizing millennial snowflakes has caused this problem. Christianity doesn't have to adapt to the world, the world needs to adapt to Christianity.

What is right is right, what is wrong is wrong.

It's really that simple.
Would it were so simple.

Arguing truth and right from a Biblical perspective is not always the popular political path. Sometimes scripture is more in line with something a liberal is trying to do and sometimes it’s more in line with what a conservative is trying to do. God doesn’t fit into the box of absolutes. The problem is that many Christian’s try to serve two masters (the master of political ideology and God) and we know how that ends.

This is absolutely something we as Christians should challenge ourselves with.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]