If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
University of Maryland - Eastern Shore
Princess Anne, Maryland

UMES Official Site

Bobby Collins
4th Season as Head Coach

2017-2018 Schedule/Results
  • 11/02 - Christopher Newport ..................................... W 61-58
    11/10 - Valley Forge ................................................... W 95-69

Emerald Coast Classic Opening Rounds
    11/12 - @ Maryland ................................................... L 96-43

11/18 - @ Georgetown ............................................... L 83-57

Emerald Coast Classic Late Rounds
    11/20 - @ St. Bonaventure ......................................... L 96-48
    11/24 - vs. Jackson State ........................................... W 66-63
    11/25 - vs. Tennessee Tech ......................................... L 90-60

11/27 - @ ODU ........................................................... L 83-44
    12/02 - American ....................................................... W 74-70
    12/04 - @ Duquesne .................................................. L 86-61
    12/08 - @ Liberty ....................................................... 7:00 p.m. ET

Key Player
    #1 Miryne Thomas
    6' 8" 190 lbs Freshman Forward
    In 7 Games: Averaging 12.4 Pts & 5.4 Rebs + 46.9 FG%
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Should get at least 3 of next 4. With this game and non d1 game. We should either beat fort wayne or if we lose we would face alabama state i believe who is 0 and 8. La tech would be a tough one should we beat fort wayne.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
One of my all time favorite LU Basketball games involved Ace Custis when we were there in 96/97. It was a back and forth game and I believe the Hokies were ranked mid-range top 25 when we met that season in that airplane loft of an arena. They stuck the visitor seats (a healthy group of 200 or so) up in the very top corner. When we took the lead mid-way thru the second half we began to chant "over rated"... the home team students quickly rebuffed us with "never rated". Those were the glory years of LU basketball when we really could play with anyone outside the top 10 or so programs in the country on any given night. I've always felt that 96-97 team was the most talented team in LU history. My one knock would be that it wasn't a deep team... but 1 thru 7 or so they were about as good as it has ever been for LU. Atmosphere back then for home games was legit too. Wish the students today could be transported to a home game during that era.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I can vouch for that. When I worked for the CT at Tech, I came over for a Tech-Liberty game and was stunned by the crowd. Absolutely packed to the rafters and loud. The Hokies won that night, but I came away impressed.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
No surprise there. What else is there to do in Blacksburg? :wink:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
47/5-2 wrote:One of my all time favorite LU Basketball games involved Ace Custis when we were there in 96/97. It was a back and forth game and I believe the Hokies were ranked mid-range top 25 when we met that season in that airplane loft of an arena. They stuck the visitor seats (a healthy group of 200 or so) up in the very top corner. When we took the lead mid-way thru the second half we began to chant "over rated"... the home team students quickly rebuffed us with "never rated". Those were the glory years of LU basketball when we really could play with anyone outside the top 10 or so programs in the country on any given night. I've always felt that 96-97 team was the most talented team in LU history. My one knock would be that it wasn't a deep team... but 1 thru 7 or so they were about as good as it has ever been for LU. Atmosphere back then for home games was legit too. Wish the students today could be transported to a home game during that era.
The 96-97 team may well have been our most talented ever, but they did not beat the Hokies. We lost to them in the Vines that year. That would be the game Lang referenced. The game you are talking about was in 93, and for all I know I may have been sitting next to you. Nwosu was more than the Hokies could handle that night, but the officials were another matter, and his minutes were limited by foul trouble. Hildo and Parrish Hickman were great. The atmosphere was exactly as you said. Our first win over VT, and one of my top 10 Liberty sports memories for sure.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Where is Scar for this discussion? My guess is in his virtual second home of Murfreesboro.

We did have crazy athleticism on that squad. It should also be noted that there was a heavy Texan influence. Just sayin'.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
47/5-2 wrote:One of my all time favorite LU Basketball games involved Ace Custis when we were there in 96/97. It was a back and forth game and I believe the Hokies were ranked mid-range top 25 when we met that season in that airplane loft of an arena. They stuck the visitor seats (a healthy group of 200 or so) up in the very top corner. When we took the lead mid-way thru the second half we began to chant "over rated"... the home team students quickly rebuffed us with "never rated". Those were the glory years of LU basketball when we really could play with anyone outside the top 10 or so programs in the country on any given night. I've always felt that 96-97 team was the most talented team in LU history. My one knock would be that it wasn't a deep team... but 1 thru 7 or so they were about as good as it has ever been for LU. Atmosphere back then for home games was legit too. Wish the students today could be transported to a home game during that era.
The 96-97 team may well have been our most talented ever, but they did not beat the Hokies. We lost to them in the Vines that year. That would be the game Lang referenced. The game you are talking about was in 93, and for all I know I may have been sitting next to you. Nwosu was more than the Hokies could handle that night, but the officials were another matter, and his minutes were limited by foul trouble. Hildo and Parrish Hickman were great. The atmosphere was exactly as you said. Our first win over VT, and one of my top 10 Liberty sports memories for sure.

I was also at that game at VT and the one Lang mentioned at the Vines. This is the first year since the mid 90's that it feels like we might win any given night. I've been waiting 20 years for us to take a step forward beyond those teams. I think in the next couple of years we will. I wish the current students knew what a home court advantage they can make in the Vines. I remember a Radford game in this era where we rattled their coach so bad in the 1st 10 minutes that he called a TO and crossed the court to complain about us directly to Jerry. Good times.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
No, the game i was referencing was not the game at Liberty. I simply was one year off. It was the 95-96 season and it was at Tech. Final score was 56-53. The 96-97 team was better... but the 95-96 was no slouch. I should have remembered it was 95-96 because Barry Taylor was still playing. Anyway, there were about 47 players by the last name of Jackson on that Tech team... and one very good Ace Custis, that i believe we held way under his normal output.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:
olldflame wrote:

I was also at that game at VT and the one Lang mentioned at the Vines. This is the first year since the mid 90's that it feels like we might win any given night. I've been waiting 20 years for us to take a step forward beyond those teams. I think in the next couple of years we will. I wish the current students knew what a home court advantage they can make in the Vines. I remember a Radford game in this era where we rattled their coach so bad in the 1st 10 minutes that he called a TO and crossed the court to complain about us directly to Jerry. Good times.
I was at that game. It was during the good years. The coach was complaining about some cheer the fans/students were chanting. I think it had the word "boy" in it and somehow he thought it was racial, even though the crowd said it for the white players too. He also didn't have any problem with it, until we took the lead and it was pretty clear we were going to win the game. The atmosphere back then was electric. I used to drive 2 1/2 hours each way to watch those games, even on the weekday nights. Vines was pretty much packed out for every game and LOUD.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Sly - you are right about the athleticism and the heavy Texas influence. Can you imagine if one of your Texas cohorts would have ever spent a minute adding some muscle??? He really was a special player. It's a shame the coaching staff really didn't seem to have much offensive creativity. However, the most athletic player on that 96-97 team i don't believe was from Texas...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
47/5-2 wrote:No, the game i was referencing was not the game at Liberty. I simply was one year off. It was the 95-96 season and it was at Tech. Final score was 56-53. The 96-97 team was better... but the 95-96 was no slouch. I should have remembered it was 95-96 because Barry Taylor was still playing. Anyway, there were about 47 players by the last name of Jackson on that Tech team... and one very good Ace Custis, that i believe we held way under his normal output.
For the record, we LOST the game at Cassel in 95-96. Our only 3 wins over the Hokies in MBB all came on the road, the one I referenced in 93, and amazingly, the other 2 were back to back Hanky wins. Those were dark days for Hokie hoops.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
47/5-2 wrote:Sly - you are right about the athleticism and the heavy Texas influence. Can you imagine if one of your Texas cohorts would have ever spent a minute adding some muscle??? He really was a special player. It's a shame the coaching staff really didn't seem to have much offensive creativity. However, the most athletic player on that 96-97 team i don't believe was from Texas...
Not sure who you are referring to, but I don't recall anyone on that team I would say was more athletic than Marcus White. At 6'1", we ran ally-oop plays for him, and he frequently finished with dunks, plus horizontally he was lightning quick as well. If he had been healthy for the BSC final, we would have gone dancing that year.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
47/5-2 - HaHa For the record the Texan you are referencing used to post on this board years ago as GOAT. Once again, where is Scar in this conversation? He eats up these threads.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Oldflame -

Yes, you are correct that we lost that game. Sorry, i should have clarified that.

As far as more athletic... I was a huge Marcus White fan. I think he is one of the top 5 talents to EVER play at Liberty. However, the player i am referring to I believe was from N.C., had a prototypical NBA build, could jump out of the gym, and no one called him by his first name.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
47/5-2 wrote:Oldflame -

Yes, you are correct that we lost that game. Sorry, i should have clarified that.

As far as more athletic... I was a huge Marcus White fan. I think he is one of the top 5 talents to EVER play at Liberty. However, the player i am referring to I believe was from N.C., had a prototypical NBA build, could jump out of the gym, and no one called him by his first name.
Boo Graham. Athletic for his size (6'7" and about 225) to be sure. Che' Lugo was also a greyhound at 6'9", but if you are defining athleticism in terms of quickness, speed and hops, I would say Marcus had it over both of them. Sadly, all 3 were dismissed from the team for disciplinary and academic problems following the season, which was a major factor in Meyer losing his job. Despite his talent, Lugo was a huge recruiting mistake, and the guy who pushed HARD for us to take him TWICE was NOT named Jeff Meyer.

I want to add that one of the most exciting things about the current direction of the program is that they are on the verge of duplicating or maybe exceeding the success of those days on the court, and (to the best of my knowledge) they are doing it without any of those off the court issues.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:I remember a Radford game in this era where we rattled their coach so bad in the 1st 10 minutes that he called a TO and crossed the court to complain about us directly to Jerry. Good times.
TF loves telling that story!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
[quote="flameshaw)

I was at that game. It was during the good years. The coach was complaining about some cheer the fans/students were chanting. I think it had the word "boy" in it and somehow he thought it was racial, even though the crowd said it for the white players too. He also didn't have any problem with it, until we took the lead and it was pretty clear we were going to win the game. The atmosphere back then was electric. I used to drive 2 1/2 hours each way to watch those games, even on the weekday nights. Vines was pretty much packed out for every game and LOUD.[/quote]

The chant was "You boy, you boy, you, you, you" directed at any opposing player called for a foul, and of course had no racist intent whatsoever. A lot of student sections were using it that year. Bradley was a pioneer snowflake. If I recall however, we did stop using it shortly thereafter.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
That was the cheer. We had several of them and a pretty coordinated cheering section. Forerunner to the LUnatics? Also, Dot-Man, forerunner to McCracken.

I hope today's students discover the joy of a great college basketball student section. You can have such a greater impact on the game of basketball than you can football.
Last edited by ALAFlamesFan on December 6th, 2017, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
ALAFlamesFan wrote:I hope today's students discover the joy of a great college basketball student section. Yoy can have such a greater impact on the game of basketball than you can football.
This all day long. We had so much more fun at basketball games than football.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
You guys even made the cover of the Liberty Journal back in the day!
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]