Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:There will be no new coach.
You confident in this?

If Jr/McCaw wants to go this route then it's going to be hard to follow this program the next few years. :frustrated
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m not sure you are wrong. Not sure about Coordinator
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
The DC has to go but I think Turner will get another year or so. I'd bet all of YOUR money and assets on it.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
The DC has to go but I think Turner will get another year or so. I'd bet all of YOUR money and assets on it.
Not so fast Sparky. 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Haha. Can you gamble debt? They can half of everything I owe! :D
By CCWMichael
lawrenceq wrote:This thread needs to be closed.
Research ... provide statistics why this thread should be closed.
Otherwise, this is all emotional and I will be very happy to provide a warm fuzzy hug.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
Otherwise, this is all emotional and I will be very happy to provide a warm fuzzy hug.
I’ll give you one strong statistic. He’s got 2 years left on his contract. So if that’s how you want to play it, all comments saying he’s gone are speculative and emotive. I’ll be happy to provide you a warm fuzzy navel to discuss the pros and cons if you want.
By Jonathan Carone
If there are two years left then there’s a really good shot he’s back next year. That would’ve meant Jeff gave him a three year extension after the playoff run. You’re talking north of $4 million to buy out the staff on top of the $2.5-3 million we’d have to pay a new staff. That’s a lot of money. It would be unfortunate for the future of the program but it would be a totally justifiable decision.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If there are two years left then there’s a really good shot he’s back next year. That would’ve meant Jeff gave him a three year extension after the playoff run. You’re talking north of $4 million to buy out the staff on top of the $2.5-3 million we’d have to pay a new staff. That’s a lot of money. It would be unfortunate for the future of the program but it would be a totally justifiable decision.
It is a lot of money. However keeping him is a huge risk based on our entrance into FBS. I am of the opinion that every year we keep him, it cost us two years on the back end. When you consider missed recruiting opportunities, bad product on the field, less butts in the seats, worse W-L records (they are already going to be bad), etc. There is zero reason to think that after six years, he is all of a sudden going to be a good coach. Not going to happen.
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:If there are two years left then there’s a really good shot he’s back next year. That would’ve meant Jeff gave him a three year extension after the playoff run. You’re talking north of $4 million to buy out the staff on top of the $2.5-3 million we’d have to pay a new staff. That’s a lot of money. It would be unfortunate for the future of the program but it would be a totally justifiable decision.
It is a lot of money. However keeping him is a huge risk based on our entrance into FBS. I am of the opinion that every year we keep him, it cost us two years on the back end. When you consider missed recruiting opportunities, bad product on the field, less butts in the seats, worse W-L records (they are already going to be bad), etc. There is zero reason to think that after six years, he is all of a sudden going to be a good coach. Not going to happen.
Basically saying that you have to loose a few millions in order to gain more in the long run. I don’t see anyway for Gill and the rest staff can make a difference beyond this season. Love the guys character, but not the coach for the future of the program. I know a guy who used to play for LU, ad he states it’s more on the players than the staff. He had some reasonable claims of what Gill has done(what has mentioned in this thread), but overall Gill is barely mediocre on a FBS level. Just seeing the struggle with FCS schools has made me stay with my decision. I hope to not see Gill as head coach. If he can stay involved in a spiritual/mentoring position, then I’m definitely for it. All I want is the best for the program plus other athletic programs. Hopefully we can get some great games and success overall.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I agree but you can sometimes get a fired coach for a bargain because he’s making so much from his last school. Maybe they attempt that. We shall see.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
I agree but you can sometimes get a fired coach for a bargain because he’s making so much from his last school. Maybe they attempt that. We shall see.
Been there done that. Gill was very cheap to us for a couple of years because of his previous contract. For this next hire, maybe we should take a different approach. 8) :shock: :idea:
By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:
I’ll give you one strong statistic. He’s got 2 years left on his contract. So if that’s how you want to play it, all comments saying he’s gone are speculative and emotive. I’ll be happy to provide you a warm fuzzy navel to discuss the pros and cons if you want.
First off; please pull your shirt down ... this is a respectable site.
I certainly can be less speculative and emotive with his statistics, have been and will do again for this year :beatinghorse .
Now to your point. Yup. Eating near 10 mil is a tough business move.
Looks as if the pros and cons are being tabled ....
So, great insight on the contracts --- thanks to all.
I wish I were in on the cost-benefit analysis on this one
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Statistics aren’t really emotive.
By Jonathan Carone
I posted this under the assumption that assistant coaches would have to be bought out. I think I may be wrong on that. Assistants are usually one single year contracts or two year deals at most. If everyone is on one years deals, that would bring the buyout to only $1.5 million.

As for keeping Gill and changing assistants, I would question the caliber of coaches we could attract knowing we just cleaned house and the head coach only has two years left in his contract.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
I posted this under the assumption that assistant coaches would have to be bought out. I think I may be wrong on that. Assistants are usually one single year contracts or two year deals at most. If everyone is on one years deals, that would bring the buyout to only $1.5 million.

As for keeping Gill and changing assistants, I would question the caliber of coaches we could attract knowing we just cleaned house and the head coach only has two years left in his contract
Agreed. I was told he only had one year left on his contract, but it was not from my most reliable source(s), so that may or may not be true. In any event, sometimes addition by subtraction makes a lot of sense.
By BigRed1
I don’t think that if you replaced all the assistants it would make very much difference. You still have Gill as the HC. This team moving past mediocrity under Gill is obvious. Let’s look within the Big South. I believe that this is Kennesaw State’s third year of even fielding a football team. It looks like they probably will be going to the playoffs. This is Monmouth’s third year in the BS. Again, very good chance of playoff berth. We have never dominated this conference like I think we should have. To me, it would be like putting Alabama or Clemson in the Sunbelt Conference and getting 6-5 or 7-4 seasons. Do you think Saban or Dabo would still be coaching their teams with those results in such a weak conference? Don’t think so. Gill may be the most godly man on campus, but that doesn’t make him a great coach. If LU is really serious about making a splash in the BCS, then we have to be serious about who leads this team down that road. If we’re going to be happy with 2-3 wins a year and just being a BCS program,then Gill should stay.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:I don’t think that if you replaced all the assistants it would make very much difference. You still have Gill as the HC. This team moving past mediocrity under Gill is obvious. Let’s look within the Big South. I believe that this is Kennesaw State’s third year of even fielding a football team. It looks like they probably will be going to the playoffs. This is Monmouth’s third year in the BS. Again, very good chance of playoff berth. We have never dominated this conference like I think we should have. To me, it would be like putting Alabama or Clemson in the Sunbelt Conference and getting 6-5 or 7-4 seasons. Do you think Saban or Dabo would still be coaching their teams with those results in such a weak conference? Don’t think so. Gill may be the most godly man on campus, but that doesn’t make him a great coach. If LU is really serious about making a splash in the BCS, then we have to be serious about who leads this team down that road. If we’re going to be happy with 2-3 wins a year and just being a BCS program,then Gill should stay.
BCS????

Is that the Bowl Championship Subdivision?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
We will win more than 2-3 per year with Gill.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There will be several FBS jobs opening up, in addition to those already open. Florida and Tennessee are looking, I look for Nebraska to enter the mix, along with several others. Once season ends, the axe will fall, if not before. With the early signing date in effect this year, ADs will have to move faster than in years past.
By BigRed1
R i wrote:We will win more than 2-3 per year with Gill.
I really hope you’re right, but I don’t see it happening. With the lack of success Gill has had with an FCS schedule, I doubt he will have very much success against stronger opponents. I would sincerely like to know why you think he is going to be able to do what he’s failed to do so far. I would love to hear your take on this.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]