Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Kennesaw State University
Kennesaw, Georgia

KSU Football Official Site

Owl Howl - KSU Board

Brian Bohannon
3rd Season as KSU Head Coach

2017 Schedule/Results
  • AUG 31 - @ SAMFORD .......................................... L 23-28
    SEP 09 - TENNESSEE TECH .................................. W 27-14
    SEP 16 - @ ALABAMA STATE ................................. W 20-14
    SEP 30 - NORTH GREENVILLE ............................... W 38-34
    OCT 07 - TEXAS SOUTHERN ................................. W 48-3
    OCT 14 - @ LIBERTY*
    OCT 21 - GARDNER-WEBB*
    OCT 28 - @ PRESBYTERIAN*
    NOV 04 - @ MONTANA STATE
    NOV 11 - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN*
    NOV 18 - MONMOUTH*

Key Players

#3 Chandler Burks
      5' 10" 187 lbs Junior Quarterback
      Thru 5 Games: 29-of-56 (52%) for 524 Yds with 2 TDs & 1 INT + 89 Carries for 377 Yds & 5 Rushing TDs

#33 Darnell Holland
      5' 10" 190 lbs Junior Running Back
      Thru 5 Games: 15 carries for 231 Yds and 1 TD + 4 catches for 58 Yds

#15 Justin Sumpter
      6' 3" 214 lbs Junior Receiver
      Thru 5 Games: 14 Catches for 279 Yds and 1 TD

#42 Bryson Armstrong
      5' 11" 201 lbs Redshirt Freshman Linebacker
      Thru 5 Games: 47 tackles + 6 Sacks + 3 INTs + 2 Fumble Recoveries + 1 Forced Fumble + 1 Blocked Kick

#9 Keon Roman
      6' 0" 181 lbs Senior Defensive Back - JUCO Transfer
      Thru 5 Games: 4 INTs & 11 Tackles
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If they beat an awful Texas Southern team as expected this week, KSU will be 4-1 entering the Bill, but that might be deceiving. They have a really weak pre-conference schedule, and barely eeked out a 38-34 win over D2 North Greenville.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I've got 4 half price GA tickets. PM me if you're interested in any of them.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Even against poor competition, those numbers for Armstrong are jaw-dropping particularly when you consider that these are the first four games of his college career. Must have been tough for their staff to redshirt him last year.

The only reason to go to TSU game here in Houston is the Ocean of Soul. They're the only college band to get ever get sanctioned by the NCAA. Seriously. I doubt they make the trip to the ATL tomorrow.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
A game we should win easily. However, historically we defend the option very poorly. In addition, our wins this year are looking much less impressive as the weeks go on.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
This is a very winnable game. I know Alabama State well, and if Kennesaw State only came away with a 20-14 win, they can't be too good. ASU is 0-5 and lost to a D2 school. Hopefully the Flames will get back on track next weekend.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We will have had 2 weeks to prepare for KSU 's high school offense.
And to stew over the SFU game
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not care for Paul Johnson. Nor his offense.
He doesn't much care for you or your offense
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not care for Paul Johnson. Nor his offense.
He doesn't much care for you or your offense
Two snaps in a z formation.
I found it interesting last night when they were talking about KC Chiefs D Coordinator. Apparently he’s one of the best around. When he was head coach at Army he was trying to figure out what offense to put in. So his staff asked what was the most difficult offense for him to stop as a D Coordinator. His answer? The Option. So he put it and ran it.

But what does he know? He’s just an NFL D Coordinator and former college HC. I’m sure he was mistaken about how difficult it is to stop. I mean it’s such a HS offense
Sound strategy.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. Bruce Lee

The option is a HS offense because it's plug and play. You can get those without intense training to win with it. When you can hone that skill rather than force players to drop everything they understand about how the game moves, it takes time. More time than using the option.

It doesn't work at the pro level like it does in college. The quality of defense is too high.

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Sound strategy.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. Bruce Lee

The option is a HS offense because it's plug and play. You can get those without intense training to win with it. When you can hone that skill rather than force players to drop everything they understand about how the game moves, it takes time. More time than using the option.

It doesn't work at the pro level like it does in college. The quality of defense is too high.

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid
There's an old saying, which surprises me ballcoach hasn't heard it, 'just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy'
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The first time Georgia Tech played at VT after Johnson became coach, I went to the game. I said I would never go to another game he coached.
Because the big underdog Yellowjackets nearly pulled the upset. 20-17 final. Sounds like a pretty well coached team.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
A well coached TO or Pistol can be very difficult to defend. Paul Johnson has been very successful with the TO much like Chris Ault was with the pistol at Nevada (where a certain quarterback who shall not be named was a star at the end of his final stint). The teams who do figure out how to defend the TO well are very sound in playing assignment football and knowing who defends the fullback, who defends the slotbacks and who defends the quarterback. You've gotta be able to quickly diagnose whether it's a five play or a run in the edge or even a pass and react accordingly
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]