If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Puerto Rico is now Puerto Pobre.
Line of the week. Glad to hear you fared well, Olldflame.

This is not the first time that hurricanes have impacted Caribbean hoops tournaments. If the venues are significantly damagaed, I would suspect that the games are moved to a home site of one of the major teams in the tourney: Colorado, Houston or Wake Forest. UH is actually using nearby Texas Southern's arena this season while the new Fertitta Center is being completed after they tore down historic Hofheinz Pavilion. So that would narrow it down to Colorado or Wake Forest. Since five of the eight schools in the mens bracket are from the East Coast, that would indicate that the tourney would likely be moved to Winston-Salem. Of course, the tourney website has not been updated in months so we have no idea where things stand.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Thing is, even if we could mobilize power trucks and other vehicles to help with the rebuilding process here in the USA, we would probably need large ships and C-130s to be able to get those resources onto the island
Yeah we don't have any of those laying around or a military trained for humanitarian missions. Oh wait a minute we do and I guarantee you it will be utilized.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Thing is, even if we could mobilize power trucks and other vehicles to help with the rebuilding process here in the USA, we would probably need large ships and C-130s to be able to get those resources onto the island
Appreciate the reality check BJ. And here we were all thinking it will be easy. :roll:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Very funny OF...Just glad you're doing alright
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is funny that we were having this discussion as this afternoon the Island Jam folks announced that the tourney would be moving to the States. They indicated taht all participating teams could bid to host the tournament.
By Class of 20Something
Sly Fox wrote:It is funny that we were having this discussion as this afternoon the Island Jam folks announced that the tourney would be moving to the States. They indicated taht all participating teams could bid to host the tournament.
I know a school equiped to host a tournament on 0 notice.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:It is funny that we were having this discussion as this afternoon the Island Jam folks announced that the tourney would be moving to the States. They indicated taht all participating teams could bid to host the tournament.
I know a school equiped to host a tournament on 0 notice.
We should start coming up with new names for it. You know LU is going to bid on it
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So if conference USA membership was worth 24 million to LU what is this tournament worth? 12 million? Or maybe just throw the full 24 million at them. That way if they don't take it Jerry can add more people to his list of intolerance.

:D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:So if conference USA membership was worth 24 million to LU what is this tournament worth? 12 million? Or maybe just throw the full 24 million at them. That way if they don't take it Jerry can add more people to his list of intolerance.

Hold a Tournament and make Region 2000 pay for it!
But honestly, why not? Give the proceeds back to the Island. More talk about LU at FBS. Throw a couple million at it see what happens
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:So if conference USA membership was worth 24 million to LU what is this tournament worth? 12 million? Or maybe just throw the full 24 million at them. That way if they don't take it Jerry can add more people to his list of intolerance.

But honestly, why not? Give the proceeds back to the Island. More talk about LU at FBS. Throw a couple million at it see what happens
Are we about to go all"Hearts and Minds" on PR? I LOVE IT!!! Imagine a Christian school known for doing Christian things! There was a charity basketball tournament at the beginning of August that was constantly on ESPN.

Did the tournament already have a television deal? If not, maybe Fox Sports or NBC Sports wants to dedicate some assets to a Basketball Gives Back tourney.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Are we about to go all"Hearts and Minds" on PR? I LOVE IT!!! Imagine a Christian school known for doing Christian things! There was a charity basketball tournament at the beginning of August that was constantly on ESPN.

Did the tournament already have a television deal? If not, maybe Fox Sports or NBC Sports wants to dedicate some assets to a Basketball Gives Back tourney.
All these things have some TV deals so I'm sure it was going to be covered by someone Then when all the cut ins back from commercial of aid packages being off loaded from LU Aviation planes or Samaritans Purse? Well worth the money
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU has lots of students from Puerto Rico. Interviewing them to showcase the school's diversity would be great advertising!
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:LU has lots of students from Puerto Rico. Interviewing them to showcase the school's diversity would be great advertising!
I was really surprised that Liberty's population was fairly representative of the us population. If anything the Asian population was disproportionately high, but that's common on most campuses.

Canadians on the other hand are EVERYWHERE.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:LU has lots of students from Puerto Rico. Interviewing them to showcase the school's diversity would be great advertising!
I was really surprised that Liberty's population was fairly representative of the us population. If anything the Asian population was disproportionately high, but that's common on most campuses.

Canadians on the other hand are EVERYWHERE.
You apparently thought so! :pbjtime
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Who's the most famous basketball player from the US Virgin Islands? Where did he go to college?

I think you have the likely answer to the question of where the tourney lands.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Who's the most famous basketball player from the US Virgin Islands? Where did he go to college?

San Antonio?
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote:Who's the most famous basketball player from the US Virgin Islands? Where did he go to college?

Wake Forest it is lol
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: San Antonio?
Purple, that was his NBA team, not his college. :fineprint
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote: San Antonio?
Purple, that was his NBA team, not his college. :fineprint
I guess reading comprehension is a thing? :dontgetit
But having it in W-S seems weird. SAvwould be a better venue IMO
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like a GREAT place for a road trip!
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
The tournament that Liberty is in, the Paradise Jam, should be announcing later today where it will be held.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:The tournament that Liberty is in, the Paradise Jam, should be announcing later today where it will be held.

Stay tuned!!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]