This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I know I heard that Jerry Jr. was bidding on what is now, Trump Wineries. Not sure if there is truth to that or not.

Also, slightly off-topic, someone mentioned the guard shack. So, interesting story. When my Dad was at LU (late 80's), there was a black-out on the east coast that effected all of campus. Back then, the guard shack wasn't made out of brick. He, and about a dozen or so other guys, moved the guard shack, with the guard in it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm pretty sure that the guard shack has been brick since at least 1985. Oldflame, can you confirm?

But LUPD used to be in a mobile home on East Campus in the mid- to late-1980s.
Last edited by Cider Jim on August 16th, 2017, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I'm pretty sure that the guard shack has been brick since at least 1985. Oldflame, can you confirm?

But LUPD used to be in a moble home on East Campus in the mid- to late-1980s.
The brick version of the guard shack was built while I was working on campus, which would put it between 79 and 81.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Guard shack should have remained in my opinion, even if not manned.
Reason? Place it in the middle of the roundabout?
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:I'm pretty sure that the guard shack has been brick since at least 1985. Oldflame, can you confirm?

But LUPD used to be in a moble home on East Campus in the mid- to late-1980s.
The brick version of the guard shack was built while I was working on campus, which would put it between 79 and 81.
Interesting. Well, all I know is one year during a black out, my Dad and his dorm buddies moved a guard shack, with the guard in it and the guard kept threatening to call campus police.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
VaGolf, please double check that story with your dad. I'd love to know how they moved a brick building. :lol:
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:VaGolf, please double check that story with your dad. I'd love to know how they moved a brick building. :lol:
Oh, I have to double check. The guard shack was obviously not brick when this happened but the story was one of the staples of my childhood. He was roommates with my uncle too, who also was in on the moving of the guard shack.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:VaGolf, please double check that story with your dad. I'd love to know how they moved a brick building. :lol:
Oh, I have to double check. The guard shack was obviously not brick when this happened but the story was one of the staples of my childhood. He was roommates with my uncle too, who also was in on the moving of the guard shack.
Either your dad was at LU FAR earlier than you thought, or the story is just another myth.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
One of my teachers at LCA told us the story of how, when she was LU, going to movies were banned and they would have people out in the parking lots of movie theaters looking for LU stickers. Additionally, when students were put up in hotels due to lack of dorm space, when asked where they lived the students in hotels replied "I'm not at Liberty to say."
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That was my era, Atrain. We used to drive to Altavista to avoid getting caught. After awhile, the RAs just quit checking the Fort and the traveling was over.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Altavista had a theater?

Summer of 1989, I was going it grad school at Virginia Tech, and I stopped by the mall after class to watch Dead Poets Society. Now, four decades later, LU has its own film school.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:That was my era, Atrain. We used to drive to Altavista to avoid getting caught. After awhile, the RAs just quit checking the Fort and the traveling was over.
Yeah, in my era, the RAs were rumored to hang around the local colleges and other places to catch people drinking alcohol at parties. Although no one ever mentioned going out to FarmVille, home of Longwood and Hampden-Sydney.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The RAs used to go to the parking lots of movie theaters in the '80s and place reps on the windshields of cars that had LU stickers on them. I only once remember seeing RAs in the parking lots and as soon aas students saw what was going on as the crowd fille dup at the exits, the theater management came to intervene. This was around the time the school implemented the fine system for reps. Prior to that they weren't taken seriously at all. The guys across the hall from me my freshmen year made a reps tree at Christmas that kept getting filled in all spring.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: Says the guy stalking parking lots

BJWilliams wrote: There were usually a couple cars rocking in the pit by the quads and you could see a few fogged windows if you had to park near the edge at curfew time
Not stalking...you see a lot of things you wish you could unsee at or after curfew time...especially walking up the circle after late night at the computer lab because you couldn't get a ride back to your dorm or have to park all the way by 460 because all the spaces near your building are taken
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]